.45 "Marine Load"

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Dipnet

Re: .45 "Marine Load"

Post by Dipnet »

Interesting information posted here. I am rethinking my 45 loading: down-loading my AMU load (from 4.7 to 4.3 or 4.4 grains) and raising my short line load (Zero 185gr HP LSWC) from 3.8 gr. to 3.9 or 4.0 grs., to try to get both loads going about the same velocity, principally to avoid having to make elevation adjustments to red dot between long and short lines. It appears those small changes in charge do not affect accuracy. I'm using the 4.7 grs. charge simply because that the weight given when I initially learned the AMU recipe. When the AMU shows up at the Dixie Match in Jacksonville, they are all shooting Atlanta Arms black box and the boxes appear new.

I've never thought about managing my brass beyond sorting the the same head stamp, although I do keep new brass separate for the long line. Initially, I measured OAL of brass, but found so little variation among brass used for bullseye loads that I stopped worrying about that variable. When I start consistently shooting in the 90s on the LL, then maybe I'll revisit this. According to the AMU manual, preparation is an important element of technique. Cheers, dipnet
cnnhead

Re: .45 "Marine Load"

Post by cnnhead »

Primers turned out to be a crucial component in my case. Change of primers from CCI300 to Winchester LP and a charge increased to 4,3gr of N310 resulted in nice, tight groups.
Many thanks for your valuable comments and suggestions.