Rifle guy with some questions

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Soupy44

Rifle guy with some questions

Post by Soupy44 »

Rifle shooter here thinking of shooting my first Bullseye match later this month, if not next. I have a Browning Buckmark and a Kimber Gold Match II I planned to use. Kind of hoping to shoot .22 for the center fire portion and just take some 0s on the scoreboard (and save some $ on ammo). The lowest grade .22 ammo I have on hand is Eley Practice 100. Will there be any feeding issues with that? Have tried similar ammo in a Model 41 before and remember it not being the best experience of my life. And would I be wasting money shooting that? It shoots very well in my rifle as practice ammo at 50y, so I wouldn't mind saving it for that. Ammo recommendations appreciated.

Planned to do some dry fire practice beforehand. Is it ok to dry fire my Buckmark and Gold Match II? And what diameter bull should I use at 10m for said dry fire practice?

Also looking for the air pistol version of FWB 300 or 600 rifles. Perfectly happy pumping between shots. Unsure of my budget or time frame at this point for purchasing an air pistol, so if you have a long answer for this, I'm all ears. Let me know if you would point me in a different direction.

Other advice much appreciated as well!

Thanks.
Rover

Re: Rifle guy with some questions

Post by Rover »

Just buy some good ol' CCI Standard Velocity.

Under new rules you may shoot the whole 2700 (three 900s) with a .22. You will be put in a separate class,
rmca

Post by rmca »

Rover wrote:Under new rules you may shoot the whole 2700 (three 900s) with a .22. You will be put in a separate class,
Does he have to wear the helmet?

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I'll tape training wheels to my legs to complete the outfit. :-P
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Soupy44 wrote:Planned to do some dry fire practice beforehand. Is it ok to dry fire my Buckmark and Gold Match II? And what diameter bull should I use at 10m for said dry fire practice?
Check the owner manual on dry firing the Buckmark; should be no problem with the Kimber. Use a 10 Meter Air Pistol target if you can, the aiming black is ~2.3 inches diameter.
Soupy44 wrote:Also looking for the air pistol version of FWB 300 or 600 rifles. Perfectly happy pumping between shots. Unsure of my budget or time frame at this point for purchasing an air pistol, so if you have a long answer for this, I'm all ears. Let me know if you would point me in a different direction.
I'm a fan of PCP pistols, and can't remember the last time I saw a SSP shooter at a match.
dronning

Post by dronning »

I have a 1st gen Buckmark and dry firing without a snap cap or dry fire plug was a big NO.

#4 plastic drywall anchors work perfect and are cheap.

- Dave

Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
aprilian

Post by aprilian »

Follow Dave's advice. For dry-firing my Buckmark, I cut a flat off the "rim" of the anchor so that the ejector has nothing to grab onto, then I can cock the pistol for a second, third, etc. dryfire without needing to find, pick up and rechamber the anchor. That way my grip does not change and I can be consistent.

I recently bought some Hillman brand anchors from ACE Hardware and they have a thicker rim so I feel better about the additional plastic further protecting the breech face. They are more expensive though.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Thank you all for the advice. My wife ended up coming along to the Bullseye match today too. We both shot 22 only. The day ended well with an 87 on my last 10 rapid fire...with a miss. Pretty big learning curve for sure: 631, 63...with 7 saved shots due to feeding issues with my Model 41, finished with a 722. Didn't use my alibis on the middle 900 since I was the only one, not too worried about it.

Already signed up to shoot another next month and my wife asked for a box and reloading supplies for Christmas so we can do this more (SCORE!). If I can't make it out to practice 45, I'll probably shoot 22 all the way through next month too, maybe switch to 45 for the last 900.

Thanks again!
Ttgoods

Post by Ttgoods »

With an M41 or any 22lr try a drop of oil on the first bullet in the magazine seems to work for most.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

Ttgoods wrote:With an M41 or any 22lr try a drop of oil on the first bullet in the magazine seems to work for most.
+1 on that. A good friend, long since passed, recommended a small drop of oil on the top round of each magazine. It makes your pistol "muddy" and nasty, but the ash in the chamber never gets hard enough to cause a failure to feed or extract.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dennis in the PRK