New 1911 Bullseye build for an Olympian

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Greg Derr

New 1911 Bullseye build for an Olympian

Post by Greg Derr »

This is a bullseye 1911 build for two time pistol Olympian and triple distinquished shooter Ben A. The frame and slide are Caspian with a Kart NM barrel. The internals are E2 ,hammer, sear, disconnector. Trigger is a crisp 3.5# per NRA rules. The grip safety is EGW with a Colt thumb safety. The trigger is Greider. Crystal Thackerson did a great job on the special grips. The pistol is topped with an Al Marvel scope mount and an Ultradot 1 inch scope. Finish is a brushed hard chrome lower with hot blue upper. I hope Ben hammers out some great scores with the gun.

Sa-tevo

Re: New 1911 Bullseye build for an Olympian

Post by Sa-tevo »

How was it to work with the hard chrome frame? Hard chrome seems desirable from a wear standpoint but in discussing its use with bullseye smiths some have noted it takes special tooling to work on it. There are many metal application techniques used in aerospace component overhaul that look useful for gunsmithing except for the cost of the tooling to apply and/or work on it after it is applied.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Nice!
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

I'm neither a metallurgist nor a gun smith, but I do have one .45 that's finished with industrial hard chrome. It started as a box stock Colt 1911 steel frame and after a number of upgrades I had it finished in hard chrome. I PRESUME that the hard chrome is applied via a plating process, but I'm not certain of that. It's been in and out of a holster thousands of times with absolutely no sign of wear. I suppose that if the entire frame were made of hard chrome, special tools would be needed to work on it. As it is, any further mods would require stripping the hard chrome and reapplying it later.

Dennis in the PRK
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

Been has very good taste in guns. But more importantly he is an excellent competitor and someone that I have enjoyed shooting with, scoring for and watching.

The first time I shot with him, I was scoring for him and watched he and Karl Woerner trading cleans with the .45 in sustained fire. Heck, I didn't even know it was possible to clean a target with the 45. That was May of 2015.
Ttgoods

Post by Ttgoods »

Absolutely perfect! Well done!
siordian1

Post by siordian1 »

What was the price? I have a Les Baer that works fine but I sure do like the look of this pistol. Thanks
NCST8

Post by NCST8 »

Beautiful gun for a great guy
sparky

Post by sparky »

Sa-tevo wrote:How was it to work with the hard chrome frame? Hard chrome seems desirable from a wear standpoint but in discussing its use with bullseye smiths some have noted it takes special tooling to work on it. There are many metal application techniques used in aerospace component overhaul that look useful for gunsmithing except for the cost of the tooling to apply and/or work on it after it is applied.
You apply the hard chrome after you do any metalwork on the frame.