Pistol canting to the left

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

taylorkh

Pistol canting to the left

Post by taylorkh »

While I have not shot formal competition since intercollegiate smallbore pistol in 1970-71 I have generally shot bullseye targets since. About 4 or 5 years ago I made the mistake of purchasing some steel targets - gongs, silhouettes etc. They are a WHOLE LOTTTA FUN but my precision skills have gone to crap. So I am back to paper.

I FINALLY after 35+ years installed a set of Herrett's Nationals grips on my Clark hardball gun. I noticed that I was canting the pistol to the left. I put this down to the nice thumb shelf and my lazy thumb napping on it. I have switched to a different pistol (1911 style with Pachmayr rubber grips.) I still notice that on occasion I am canting the pistol to the left although not so badly as with the Nationals.

I do not remember having this problem in the past. When shooting steel it did not really matter and perhaps the problem developed when I was having too much fun. I am making a conscious effort to correct the sight level with each shot. However, it would be better to not have to worry about this.

Can anyone recommend any exercises or drills to help holding the sights level without having to think about it?

TIA,

Ken
ghillieman

Re: Pistol canting to the left

Post by ghillieman »

Don't strain against your body. If you are relaxed and comfortable with a slight cant then shoot it that way. As long as it's repeatable.
taylorkh

Post by taylorkh »

Thanks ghillieman,

A repeatable sight cant at a single distance is certainly no impediment to accuracy. A prime example is 10 meter air rifle. At varying distances it would tend to complicate sight adjustment. It is not an extreme amount. Perhaps I just need to go back to basics. I have dusted off my Pistol Marksmanship Training Guide by USAMU.

Ken
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I have often seen a slight cant when standing behind high master shooters.

This should not be a big worry.

Spend a lot more time making your arm strong, your grip consistent, and your triggering smooth.

The biggest problem with the action pistol sports, is that the timed element and generally light triggers lead to poor triggering technique, (generally significant jerking) as the penalty for not being quick is a lot higher than for poor accuracy.

Almost everything else is largely the same.

The AMU shooters told me it is much easier to apply precision technique to action pistol, than to do it the other way around.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Surely you cant be serious.
taylorkh

Post by taylorkh »

Thanks Isabel1130,
The AMU shooters told me it is much easier to apply precision technique to action pistol, than to do it the other way around.
I see a great deal of truth in this statement!

Ken
Gwelo

Post by Gwelo »

john bickar wrote:Surely you cant be serious.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_XuPXGMpLA
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Caused by an imbalance in the trapezoids, mostly the Latissimus dorsi/Infraspinatus interaction I believe. But I could be wrong. I am not a Physiotherapist.

Couple of clubmates suffer from the same condition. If you can get in touch with a Physio they may be able to steer you on the right track to get it straightened out.

It is probably worth sorting out lest the cant get more pronounced.
Image Image
yana

Post by yana »

May be an eye problem. If yr right eye dominant, did yr right eye loose much sight over the years? It might be trying to get yr left eye to help.
Secondly, it may be a zero issue. Yr zero is too much too the right and yr compensating with yr hand instead of body position
Can also be a how-you-grip-issue. Grip with 2 fingers only, and only straight backwards.
You can easily check wether yr 'grip-zero'is ok. Aim, close yr eyes and re-open. Where is the front sight?
It should stay about correct.