Are my grips legal?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Jake

Are my grips legal?

Post by Jake »

Hello. I'm very new to Bullseye and .22 EIC shooting so I have a newbie question. I had Andrew at http://www.precisiontargetpistolgrips.com duplicate my Pardini K10 grips to fit my Pardini SP frame. They turned out great and Andrew was great to work with. Now I'm fine tuning with putty and I just need to know if I'll be legal at Camp Perry. The K10 has a long "back" over my hand and I wonder if that is considered encircling my hand. The rule book I found only shows an example from the rear. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_20160511_120538591-1024x576.jpg
David Levene

Re: Are my grips legal?

Post by David Levene »

Jake wrote:Hello. I'm very new to Bullseye and .22 EIC shooting so I have a newbie question. I had Andrew at http://www.precisiontargetpistolgrips.com duplicate my Pardini K10 grips to fit my Pardini SP frame. They turned out great and Andrew was great to work with. Now I'm fine tuning with putty and I just need to know if I'll be legal at Camp Perry. The K10 has a long "back" over my hand and I wonder if that is considered encircling my hand. The rule book I found only shows an example from the rear. Thanks!
I know that you're not talking about ISSF shooting but, under their rules the grip would most definitely not be legal.

a) It is apparent that the heel rest curves up the outside of the hand. Rule 8.12.a(part): "The heel rest must extend at an angle of not less than 90 degrees to the grip. This applies to the heel rest in front and behind the grip as well as on the sides. Any upward curvature of the heel and/or thumb rest and/or a downward curvature of the side opposite the thumb is prohibited.

b) The overhang at the top appears to be well over 30mm. Rule 8.12.b "25m Pistol Grips: Note a) applies. In addition, the rear part of the frame or grip which rests on top of the hand between the thumb and the forefinger, must not be longer than 30 mm from the point where the grip first touches the top of the hand forward to the deepest part of the grip. The back (rear) part of the grip must be cut so that it angles upward from that point by not less than 45 degrees.

There may also be other transgressions that are not obvious from the pictures.

Whether that transfers at all to the type of shooting you are talking about, I have no idea.
kle

Post by kle »

David Levene wrote:
Jake wrote:Hello. I'm very new to Bullseye and .22 EIC shooting so I have a newbie question. I had Andrew at http://www.precisiontargetpistolgrips.com duplicate my Pardini K10 grips to fit my Pardini SP frame. They turned out great and Andrew was great to work with. Now I'm fine tuning with putty and I just need to know if I'll be legal at Camp Perry. The K10 has a long "back" over my hand and I wonder if that is considered encircling my hand. The rule book I found only shows an example from the rear. Thanks!
I know that you're not talking about ISSF shooting but, under their rules the grip would most definitely not be legal.

a) It is apparent that the heel rest curves up the outside of the hand. Rule 8.12.a(part): "The heel rest must extend at an angle of not less than 90 degrees to the grip. This applies to the heel rest in front and behind the grip as well as on the sides. Any upward curvature of the heel and/or thumb rest and/or a downward curvature of the side opposite the thumb is prohibited.

b) The overhang at the top appears to be well over 30mm. Rule 8.12.b "25m Pistol Grips: Note a) applies. In addition, the rear part of the frame or grip which rests on top of the hand between the thumb and the forefinger, must not be longer than 30 mm from the point where the grip first touches the top of the hand forward to the deepest part of the grip. The back (rear) part of the grip must be cut so that it angles upward from that point by not less than 45 degrees.

There may also be other transgressions that are not obvious from the pictures.

Whether that transfers at all to the type of shooting you are talking about, I have no idea.
Those ISSF rules are not used for NRA Bullseye Pistol; the upsweep of the heel is legal under NRA Bullseye rules (http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf/co ... l-book.pdf - rule 3.6), so long as it is not more than one inch. The downward angle of the upper part of the grip would also be legal under NRA Bullseye rules as it does not "encircle" the hand. Such grips are also allowed under CMP EIC rules (https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rulebook.pdf - rule 6.3.2 allows "asymmetrical, orthopedic, or specially shaped grips" with no restriction of grip features). It is highly unlikely that any official at Camp Perry would question Jake's grips.

There's a gentleman who served as a Chief Range Officer at the National Matches at Camp Perry for many years until recently who shoots at my local Bullseye league (in fact at the NRA Headquarters Range in Fairfax, Virginia) using a Pardini .22 with similar features in his grip; I would imagine that he knows the rulebook back to front, being a CRO, and would not use that grip if it had illegal features.
Jake

Post by Jake »

Thanks for the responses guys! I wrote an email to the CMP (which I probably should have done in the first place) and Michelle confirmed that they are legal. Yay!
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

they are legal for bullseye and cmp eic 22 matches
ABerryhill

Post by ABerryhill »

Jake,

Thanks for the kind words about your grip and experience working with me. I appreciate it. I agree with all who've chimed in so far regarding the acceptability of your grips for NRA Bullseye. There is one more important difference to the rules that I wanted to point out between ISSF and NRA events. If you shoot ISSF your overall grip cannot be more than 50 mm wide. For shooters with smaller hands this allows plenty of room for a nice palm shelf to support their full hand. However for shooters with larger hands they inevitably need to make a choice between how much palm shelf to they want vs. how much thumb support. 50 mm doesn't give enough room for both with a big hand. Of course they always have the option of a second grip for ISSF events (shameless plug for PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com here).

The only other important rule to remember is that the rear of the grip cannot extend past the point on the wrist where it transitions to the arm. As this point seemingly changes between a traditional straight-on grip on the gun [as you'd hold a 1911] vs a cocked wrist [like you'd shoot a free pistol], it is something be aware of.

When I do my job well making a grip for someone I ask if they're an NRA or ISSF shooter to be sure they get the best grip possible for their needs.

Andrew

PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com
Custom Grips for All Hands and Most Guns