I need a taller Walther GSP front sight

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

NuJudge

I need a taller Walther GSP front sight

Post by NuJudge »

I am having the problem discussed in this thread (only worse):
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=36754

I recently bought a used GSP in .22 and .32. The one shoots 3 and a half inches above point of aim, the other almost 4 inches above point of aim at 50 feet, and that with about the tallest front sight available, and no rear sight blade in the rear sight. In both calibers, the pistol seems to shoot better than I can.

Does anybody know a gunsmith who has built up a spare front sight a millimeter or two with a TIG welder and machined to shape? Failing that, I'll do a shim a good bit thicker than the one half millimeter that Walther once offered, and turn it up at the front to immobilize the front sight.

...and yes, I have spare front and rear sights on order.
ABerryhill

Re: I need a taller Walther GSP front sight

Post by ABerryhill »

I've successfully 3d-printed front sights for the Toz free pistol. I'm sure I could do the same for you. All I'd need is a couple of measurements with a caliper from you and a spec of how tall you'd want them to be. I can easily print a few at different heights (and widths) to be sure you get one you like.

Andrew

Andrew Berryhill
PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com

Precision Grips for All Hands and Most Guns
Leon

Post by Leon »

Misny

Post by Misny »

I made an extension for a front sight for a Ruger .22 pistol once after replacing the rear sight with a taller after market one. I epoxied the shaped piece of metal to the existing front sight. It worked perfectly.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I like the way you think.

I remember quite a while back some guy was going to order shims from Germany.

I told him to get a beer can and some scissors and he became quite offended that I would suggest "less than the best" OEM parts.
riogato

Post by riogato »

This maybe a bit late but I had the same problem with mine. My solution was simply buying a couple of pieces of 1/4" brass strip .016" and .025" thick at the local hobby shop. The .016 is just barely thick enough as the adjuster on the rear sight is maxed out to impact correctly for the .22. It might be just right for the .32 which I haven't tried yet. The .025 is perfect for the .22 with plenty of adjustment. If you're worried about appearance just dip them in "Brass Black" and you'll never see the shim. The other thing is that both are thin enough that you won't have to worry about the front sight rotating as it still engages the mounting slot. The original ones from Walther were .5mm and .025" is pretty close to this.