shell catchers for autos are they wort the money.

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

slimjim

shell catchers for autos are they wort the money.

Post by slimjim »

I'm interested in trying to capture some of my brass coming off my 32 cal. I'm looking for a little advice in regards to these brass catchers. Does any one use them ? like the ones that strap to your hand with Velcro is what it looks like. Or what kind do you folks use and possibly recommend, or aren't they worth the effort? I will be shooting a Pardini Bulls eye 32 conversion.
Thank you.
Rover

Re: shell catchers for autos are they wort the money.

Post by Rover »

It really depends on your waistline. They DO work, though.
Misny

Post by Misny »

These are very popular among bullseye pistol shooters. Of course, it stands on the bench next to you. http://www.cm-machine.com/Ultimate-Bras ... _c_12.html
slimjim

Post by slimjim »

The one on a stand is interesting and would work nicely with good bench space. But where I do most of my practice there shooting lane benches are designed to be removed so Law enforcement can certify without benches, so they are limited in bench top space. In my case I think I could use one of the Caldwell ones that strap to the hand if one can get it line up an the strap won't interfere with your grip. There not all that expensive but I thought I would get some views first from all you folks before I find I have something that ends up in the O crap! basket.
Thanks Jim
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

The Walther GSP-C series has a plastic catcher that attaches to the magazine. I use mine all the time. Not legal for ISU, however.

Haemmerli 280 and SP-20 also have a catcher that attaches to the pistol via Velcro straps. Again, very nice to have.

If you own an FAS 603, forget the catcher. It throws brass over your head. Great gun for a stretch workout.

With Lapua brass at 28 cents a piece for new, I like to come home with all my empties.

Cheers,

Dave
slimjim

Post by slimjim »

It's a slim chance that the one for the GSP would work on a Pardini. I never did call Pardini on a shell catcher not much luck if they got such a thing. Tried to call Pardini a while back got a answering machine that told me there mail box was full can't quite understand that. A business with a full mail Box? Business is good.
But any way back to catchers. Could you tell me who would sell these so I could take a look at one for the GSP like to look to see how it's made.
fc60

Re: shell catchers for autos are they worth the money.

Post by fc60 »

zanardi50

Post by zanardi50 »

slimjim wrote:It's a slim chance that the one for the GSP would work on a Pardini. I never did call Pardini on a shell catcher not much luck if they got such a thing. Tried to call Pardini a while back got a answering machine that told me there mail box was full can't quite understand that. A business with a full mail Box? Business is good.
But any way back to catchers. Could you tell me who would sell these so I could take a look at one for the GSP like to look to see how it's made.
Hi slimjim,

After an extensive (albeit fanatical) 6 months search 2 years ago, I finally located a Canadian maker of Pardini HP .32 brass catcher that is attached to the base of the magazine via bulldog clip. You may have to fiddle with the attachment to get it to function properly.

http://www.westernmarksman.com/#!produc ... ss-catcher

Not inexpensive, but it beats the alternative of buying more Lapua brass to replace the missings at $0.29 a pop per fc60 mentioned.

If I were you I'd get 2 of these.

Cheers!
-Bill
slimjim

Post by slimjim »

Thanks Zanardi and every one for the input. The one for the pardini out of Canada is worth looking into sense it had the pardini in mind.
Thank you. Jim...
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

fc60 wrote:The Walther GSP-C series has a plastic catcher that attaches to the magazine. I use mine all the time. Not legal for ISU however.
Actually there is a cloth catcher which attaches with a Velcro strap. This is OK for ISSF as it fits in the box. $85(?) from Earl's.

Bob
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

My 2 cents says it's not worth it,
It just gives you something else to worry about in a match.
Plus the fact that the weight of the gun and balance will change thru the match.
You can make a cheap brass catcher out of 1/2" PVC and a laundry net from Walmart.
Or just save your pennies and get a CCM or Champions Choice brass catcher.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Trooperjake wrote:It just gives you something else to worry about in a match.
Plus the fact that the weight of the gun and balance will change thru the match.
I grant you that occasionally a case will catch in the catcher mouth but very rarely. WRT change of balance through the match, that is happening every time you let off a round and the bullet leaves the gun

Bob
j-team

Post by j-team »

Trooperjake wrote: Plus the fact that the weight of the gun and balance will change thru the match.
Actually catching the empties means that weight of the pistol changes less from first to fifth shot!

The cloth catcher on the GSP is perfectly fine to use and so long as the pistol still fits the ISSF box, also within the rules. I used one for 20 years and although the odd case bounces out, I could count on one hand the malfunctions it caused.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

BobGee wrote:
Trooperjake wrote:It just gives you something else to worry about in a match.
I grant you that occasionally a case will catch in the catcher mouth but very rarely. WRT change of balance through the match, that is happening every time you let off a round and the bullet leaves the gun

Bob
The round comes from below the gun, the brass catcher holds them to the side.
A string is 5 shots, the match is 10 pieces of brass. I just do not need to find one more thing to fiddle with in a match.
gitkrunk

Post by gitkrunk »

i go the cm brass catcher best one on the market.
http://www.cm-machine.com/
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

Get the CM catcher, I procrastinated on buying one and thought of building one. I ended up getting the CM and wish I had got it earlier. Its very sturdy and has lots of adjustments. I would never conside one that attaches straight to the pistol.