ammo, Marvel conversion....

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Cousin Jack

ammo, Marvel conversion....

Post by Cousin Jack »

I just scored a Marvel conversion kit, with both a standard sight and a scope rail ribs, for a pretty fair price. It seems to run well on a Colt Combat Commander frame, but it cycles best with hi-velocity ammo, and I'm currently feeding it Auto-Match. Is this normal? What are the rest of you shooting through it? Anything I should watch out for? Thanks in advance.
Isabel1130

Re: ammo, Marvel conversion....

Post by Isabel1130 »

I have had no problems with standard velocity of ammo of all types with my Marvel Precision conversion.

However, the trick seems to be seating the magazine with the slide closed and then sling shooting the first round into the chamber.
If you don't there is sometimes a missed of the second round.

The GSG magazines work best for me....

What kind did your gun come with?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Isabel1130 wrote:I have had no problems with standard velocity of ammo of all types with my Marvel Precision conversion.

However, the trick seems to be seating the magazine with the slide closed and then sling shooting the first round into the chamber.
If you don't there is sometimes a missed of the second round.

The GSG magazines work best for me....

What kind did your gun come with?

I'm sorry, but I'm totally ignorant...... I don't suppose you can tell by the image link below? Thank you so much for your advice on the sling shot method.... I'll try the gun with Eley club next week.

Rover

Post by Rover »

Eley Club is a bit "puny". Why not try good ol' CCI Standard.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Rover wrote:Eley Club is a bit "puny". Why not try good ol' CCI Standard.

Well, I don't have any.... I'll see if I can find some....
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Those are not GSG magazines. They look like metal Marvel magazines, which I think have undergone some modifications in the last few years to make them function better. If yours are the old ones, that could be the source of any feeding problems right there.

But as I said, if the gun miss feeds the second round try the slingshot method.

Rover is correct. CCI is the gold standard

When you get an alibi. What is the issue? Not ejecting the brass, or not loading the next round correctly? If we knew what it is doing, some of the gunsmiths on here could probably tell you what needs to be looked at.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Well, actually, I haven't had an alibi yet ....but I'm shooting Federal Auto-Match. I'm only a 250 shooter, both with irons and a red dot. I've just begun with the Marvel, though. Our indoor club shoots a 600 (10sf/10tf/10rf X 2), and I've been shooting a Ruger 22/45 (no alibis with it, either!). Now that I have the Marvel, I'll shoot one course with the Ruger, and one course with the Marvel. The magazine, by the way, is a Colt. I finally looked at the bottom of it!
BEA

Post by BEA »

I shoot a Marvel long slide conversion and love it. When I first got it, I had lots of malfunctions. I contacted Marvel and was told they come with a 9 lb recoil spring, so I obtained a 7 and 8 lb spring. After installing the 8 lb spring, my malfunctions went away. I am shooting CCI SV too. Good luck.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I use the Colt marked metal magazines with my Marvel conversion. After I adjusted the feed lips, the gun reliably feeds all standard velocity ammo of different manufacturers. Accuracy wise, it does seem to like CCI Standard Velocity. If it is set up right and the magazines tuned, you shouldn't have to use high velocity ammo in it. A steady diet of hv ammo might lead to premature wear.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Well, the plot thickens..... Evidently, I have purchased an early model of the Marvel conversion, with the early, thinner extractor, which over time erodes itself into the chamber, ruining the barrel..... I'm told that the only solution is a new slide with the new extractor, or to find a pistol smith/ machinist who can mill out the extractor slot in the slide and the barrel to accept the later model extractor..... Does anyone here have first hand experience with this issue? I'll call Marvel tomorrow to see if I can obtain a new slide, at a price I can afford.... Does anyone know of a smith that can handle this?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Cousin Jack wrote:Well, the plot thickens..... Evidently, I have purchased an early model of the Marvel conversion, with the early, thinner extractor, which over time erodes itself into the chamber, ruining the barrel..... I'm told that the only solution is a new slide with the new extractor, or to find a pistol smith/ machinist who can mill out the extractor slot in the slide and the barrel to accept the later model extractor..... Does anyone here have first hand experience with this issue? I'll call Marvel tomorrow to see if I can obtain a new slide, at a price I can afford.... Does anyone know of a smith that can handle this?

I think Marvel Precision is super good about their warranties. If there was a manufacturing defect in the earlier models, I suspect they will make it right.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Isabel1130 wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:Well, the plot thickens..... Evidently, I have purchased an early model of the Marvel conversion, with the early, thinner extractor, which over time erodes itself into the chamber, ruining the barrel..... I'm told that the only solution is a new slide with the new extractor, or to find a pistol smith/ machinist who can mill out the extractor slot in the slide and the barrel to accept the later model extractor..... Does anyone here have first hand experience with this issue? I'll call Marvel tomorrow to see if I can obtain a new slide, at a price I can afford.... Does anyone know of a smith that can handle this?

I think Marvel Precision is super good about their warranties. If there was a manufacturing defect in the earlier models, I suspect they will make it right.
Marvel told me the unit I had was very old, manufactured in 2001, and Marvel now wasn't even the same company. They couldn't help me with the problem. Luckily though, the original owner offered to give back my money. I think I'll now spring for a Nelson conversion, which I probably should have done first.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Cousin Jack wrote:
Isabel1130 wrote:

Marvel told me the unit I had was very old, manufactured in 2001, and Marvel now wasn't even the same company. They couldn't help me with the problem. Luckily though, the original owner offered to give back my money. I think I'll now spring for a Nelson conversion, which I probably should have done first.
This is a wise choice. I have two marvel precision conversions. Both bought before Nelson went into business. I have had one reoccurring problem,mwith one of them. Three broken firing pins for no apparent reason, and very light use.
I think the firing pin in the Nelson is a better one.
mairNealach1066

Post by mairNealach1066 »

Have Marvel Unit 1 Conversion on a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec platform...bought both in 2012 and have 4 of the GSG mags that I got from Marvel. I shoot CCI standard velocity .22LR only. Have never had an alibi....have never had feeding problems....absolutely no problems with the mags...fantastic reliability.....fantastic accuracy....however, having said that, if I had it to do all over again.....I would do it all over again.
gitkrunk

Post by gitkrunk »

I had a Marvel unit 1 steel lock back. Great conversion, very accurate. I had it installed by a gunsmith to tune for complete reliability. I now own a Nelson and like it as much and a little bit more then the Marvel. It a slightly update model of a 22 conversion(wish i had my marvel to side by side compare). The reason I like it more is the weight, price and customer service. One thing i wish the nelson came with as an accuracy test target.....not that i doubt its accuracy.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Well, after the false start with an outdated Marvel, I got my money back and applied it to the purchase of a Nelson..... Won't shoot it until Wednesday next, but I'm impressed with it already. Now to learn to shoot better than 250......