Starline .32 acp brass

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

dmw6455

Starline .32 acp brass

Post by dmw6455 »

Finally loading some of my new .32 acp Starline Brass. Using Dillon 550 with Redding dies and Hornady 60 gr XTP. Upon crimping the brass the die not only comes off it hard, but shaves a micro thin edge of brass off the top of the case. The crimp still measures the .330 crimp I am looking for and correct OAL. Anyone else having this problem? Maybe it is just the new brass and the fact that the Starline case walls are a little thicker?
UtahDave

Re: Starline .32 acp brass

Post by UtahDave »

I'm hardly the expert on loading 32 ACP but I don't have your problem using an RCBS taper crimp die with the same brass and bullet as you. I've been loading to 0.895" OAL with a 0.330 " crimp. I'm shooting this in a Pardini but I don't have enough info to know if this is the best load.

The Starline brass is longer than Remington brass that I also use but I have not measured the wall thickness.

Good shooting!

Dave
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Doesn't new brass tend to have if not a burr but a square edge which gets rounded over - inside and outside - on the first couple of loadings?
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

The brass sticking to the dies and expander plug is common with new brass.

The new brass is chemically clean and has no residual lubricant.

StarLine one time posted a comment one this issue.

Try spraying some case lube on the new brass. Make sure the lube is compatible with the powder.

You will find that once fired brass loads much nicer.

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

A little 'Mr Sheen' sprayed on cases works well. Dont over do it,
it only takes a little. Spray in a plastic bag of cases and shake.
dmw6455

Post by dmw6455 »

It will be interesting to see on the second loading of the brass if the problem goes away.
beeser

Post by beeser »

I just loaded some .32 ACP cartridges using new Starline brass in hopes of finally getting some use out of the Pardini SP Bullseye that I have. Emil at Pardini recommended an OAL of .894 with a crimp of .330 using Hornady 60 gr. XTPs and 1.8 grs. of V310, which is what I used. I'm also using Redding carbide dies. I mistakenly left my CH expander in the die head from the last failed attempt at loading some LSWC bullets. The inside of the case expanded to about .311 from about .309 so I didn't experience the problem the OP talked about. I don't know if expanding the case to almost the bullet diameter will be a problem.
dmw6455

Post by dmw6455 »

I shot off some of the Starline I just loaded and than ran them through the tumbler. On the second loading the problem seems to have gone away. Will know for sure when I load more that had been fired once.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

To the OP;

All virgin brass has done it to me to some extent.
The second loading is always better.
Someone posted earlier and I agree, the brass is squeaky clean with no fouling or lube to help in the sizing process.

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
JimPGov

Post by JimPGov »

I HAVE FOUND THAT SAME THING WITH THE 9MM AND .45ACP NEW STARLINE BRASS. I NOW RUN THEN IN THE TUMBLER FIRST BEFORE I LOAD THEM. I REDUCES THE SHAVING A LOT . BUT DOESN'T ELIMINATE THEM. JP