Walther SSP or Pardini SP New

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Brewster20

Walther SSP or Pardini SP New

Post by Brewster20 »

I am currently using a GSP Expert, and am finding it very heavy. So, I am looking for something a bit lighter. The SSP and the Pardini SP New seem to be both lighter than the GSP. My question is, what is the more reliable shooter...hearing some worrying SSP issues for example the magazines, and needing an engineers degree to clean it. What is the opinion of users of the newer SSP, and is it better than the Pardini ?
Thanks
dronning

Re: Walther SSP or Pardini SP New

Post by dronning »

No personal experience comparing the 2 just an observation. For every 1 Walter SSP I see there are at least 8-10 Pardini's.

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Rover

Post by Rover »

You need more 16 oz. curls, you weenie!
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

The Walther has an adjustable grip, pardini doesn't.
BEA

Post by BEA »

The Pardini is so dominant, I would not consider anything else. The Pardini is pretty adjustable for balance and very reliable. I have no experience with the SSP but have been told by someone definitely in the know that they are not user friendly. Evidently the design is complicated and this will work against the owner sooner or later.
davekp

Post by davekp »

Also consider the FWB 65. Less muzzle heavy than the Pardini.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

davekp wrote:Also consider the FWB 65. Less muzzle heavy than the Pardini.
Do you mean the AW93.

The FWB 65 is an historical air pistol.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Maybe that's what he REALLY needs.
Leon

Post by Leon »

I have all three - GSP, Pardini SP New Elec and Walther SSP-E.

If you find the GSP a bit front heavy, you will, in all likelihood, suffer from the same issue with the Pardini.

But after saying that, it's not actually that bad. Reliability for all three is almost 100% ...Have had a couple of FTE from the Pardini whilst the GSP and SSP_E have been flawless.
BEA

Post by BEA »

The Pardini, in my opinion, is not front heavy at all, especially with the weights removed. In the event of International Standard Pistol and Rapid Fire Pistol, it absolutely dominates. This speaks volumes of its good recoil and reliability qualities. In addition, it is very easy to scope or to remove the scope if desired.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Walther SSP still has adjustable grip....
davekp

Post by davekp »

David Levene wrote:
davekp wrote:Also consider the FWB 65. Less muzzle heavy than the Pardini.
Do you mean the AW93.

The FWB 65 is an historical air pistol.
You are right. Sorry for the error.
davekp

Post by davekp »

BEA wrote:The Pardini, in my opinion, is not front heavy at all, especially with the weights removed. In the event of International Standard Pistol and Rapid Fire Pistol, it absolutely dominates. This speaks volumes of its good recoil and reliability qualities. In addition, it is very easy to scope or to remove the scope if desired.
Yes, but the weights are what do the recoil control.
I had a Pardini, but an injury required me to switch to left handed shooting. The pardini was too muzzle heavy for me in the left hand. The FWB is better balance wise but I think otherwise the Pardini is a much better pistol.
Murph

Post by Murph »

For those that feel the Pardini is muzzle heavy, simply remove some or all of the weights. I've experimented with that. With the weights removed, it felt closer to the muzzle feel of a 22 / 1911 conversion muzzle weight. With the steel weights in, it felt just right for bullseye. With the tungsten weights, the muzzle was good for shorter holds, but felt heavy if up there too long.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

BEA wrote:The Pardini, in my opinion, is not front heavy at all, especially with the weights removed. In the event of International Standard Pistol and Rapid Fire Pistol, it absolutely dominates. This speaks volumes of its good recoil and reliability qualities.
The International dominance is undisputed.. I think it's with out peer... Although, the grip angle frustrates some, that is easily overcome with Horton Grips.. The muzzle weight does effect some shooters, and is overcome by replacing the steel shroud with an aluminum shroud, and the weighs can be retained..
BEA

Post by BEA »

Just curious as to what the weight difference between the factory shroud and the aluminum shroud that you made.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

BEA wrote:Just curious as to what the weight difference between the factory shroud and the aluminum shroud that you made.
Sorry, I should have weighed the finished shroud...That was done two years ago. The steel shroud I have in hand, weighs 7.85 oz. That's nearly 1/2 pound hanging out on the very end..I have a block of aluminum shaped solid rectangle, ready to machine, with no holes or shaping cuts and it weighs 6. oz before any machine work..As you can see there is quite a bit of metal removed from the initial shape. So there is a very noticeable difference. I am not sure, but I believe some of the newer Pardinis shrouds are aluminum..
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Pardini shrouds have been aluminium for a few years at least.
Zipp0

Post by Zipp0 »

I have a GSP Expert (.22 & .32) SSP-E and SP-RF...

I sold the GSP .32 conversion as it was too heavy and had bought the SSP-E as my main 22 pistol. ( I shoot Rink grips on all) - I never had a problem with the SSP-E.- very light and many weights to tinker with inc flapper weight but struggled a bit with the feel of the E-trigger. I decided to add an SP-M to go alongside my HP-E (subsequently swapped for an HP-M) and was struck by the weight of the SP-RF (the SSP is sooooo light).

Wind forward a few months and my wrist wraps are up to 8lb and the SP is great and getting dialed in (I shoot better with the SP which works in combination with my HP).

In summary - I drank the Pardini koolaid (there is no SSP-.32) and have a matched pair of competition pistols which I am very happy with (and sold the SSP-E - would have been nice to keep it around but it was sitting in my safe not being used...).

So (for what it is worth...) I would plump for the SP (and if you go .32, you can add a conversion or go HP)
Shiloh

Post by Shiloh »

Had a GSP Expert 22 and 32. 32 had a Wilson barrel. Liked the 22 but the 32 was noticeably heavier.

Have a Pardini SP New and HP New. HP has a Wilson barrel. Balance and weight are much better than the GSP's. Internal weights on Pardini's can be removed to lighten front end weight.

Have an AW-93. Outstanding balance and light compared to the Pardini's and GSP's.

All are outstanding for trigger adjustments. AW-93 trigger adjustment can be confusing. Factory manual for GSP provides instructions on how to get the trigger back to normal if you turn too many screws too much.

AW-93 does not require any tools to take down for cleaning unless you need to remove the grip. Pardini's and GSP's require a wrench to remove barrel assemblies.

All 3 are easy to clean.

All 3 are incredibly accurate for bullseye (NRA Conventional Pistol). Don't shoot any international 22 or 32.

GSP's and AW-93 do not allow easy sight changes to/from iron/red dot. Breznovich mount for the AW-93 with an Aimpoint Micro or Burris Fast Fire does not require removing the red dot to take down.

Mounts that work well for the Pardini SP are hard to find and properly mount. Larry's Guns mount with iron sights solved that problem. HP is much easier to find proper rings that work. To go from iron sights to red dot on HP simply involves removing the red dot because iron sight removal is not necessary. Same is true with the SP with the Larry's mount.