High Standard Thumbrest grips?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

jr_roosa

High Standard Thumbrest grips?

Post by jr_roosa »

I've been ruminating on my 22 target gun. I have a High Standard that shoots about 5/8" 10 shot groups out of a rest at 25yd, and I am just breaking into expert scores with it. My slowfire targets today were mediocre, around 80/100.

The gun has the thumb rest on the left grip, and I'm wondering if it is helping or hurting me. Grips without the rest are about $60, so the question is hard to answer empirically without laying down some cash. Obviously, my 1911 doesn't have such a grip, so making the grips match across platforms is a potential benefit.

What are your thoughts on thumb rest grips? Worth trying the grips without the thumb rest? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks!

-J
izzyjim

Re: High Standard Thumbrest grips?

Post by izzyjim »

That is a decision only you can make. Back when I was an expert my High Standard trophy did not have thumb rest grips. And it shot fine for me.
I liked it much better than my mod.41, which did have a thumb rest grip. The thumb rest mod.41 became my back up gun. Still is, except now it's my back up,back up, back up gun. I don' care for a thumb rest...Jim
mr alexander

Re: High Standard Thumbrest grips?

Post by mr alexander »

jr_roosa,

My High Standard Victor originally came with grips that had a thumbrest on the left side panel. Occasionally, I would find myself

putting shots into the 3 o'clock area of a Slow Fire target. That is a sure sign of "Thumbing". Switched to the factory made flat grips

that do not have the rest. Those errant shots that used to be off to the right went away. Should I have stayed with the original

grips and just worked harder with them? Was making the grip change a physical or a psychological* improvement on my part? Don't

know, but it worked for me.

* - When it came to shooting Jim Clark, Sr. had a saying: "If you think it helps you, then it does!"