45 Wadcutter gun

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

sw1115

45 Wadcutter gun

Post by sw1115 »

I'm think about setting up a 1911 for wadcutters. What mods are needed or is this something I should consider sending out. I also want to get a 22 conversion for this. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks Skip
GOVTMODEL

Re: 45 Wadcutter gun

Post by GOVTMODEL »

sw1115 wrote:I'm think about setting up a 1911 for wadcutters. What mods are needed or is this something I should consider sending out. I also want to get a 22 conversion for this. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks Skip
Most modern 1911 pattern .45's are ready to go. Military magazines won't reliably feed SWC bullets.

There are several excellent .22 conversions on the market, each has its cheerleaders. I like Marvel.
jglenn

Post by jglenn »

I'll vote for the Nelson 22 conversion

mine has been dead reliable.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Unless you really love the kind of kick you get with factory 230 g hardball loads, you should think about backing off on the recoil spring. If you are going to mount optics on the slide, to get good functioning, you have to go very light. Like maybe 12 pounds or under.

If you are going to shoot iron sights or a frame mounted dot, then 14 ought to be good enough.

The true test is, will the gun shoot a fifty yards, unless your interest is only indoor short line shooting.

If it will not hold the ten ring then we need to start talking about replacing the barrel, the bushing, and tuning your loads to shoot in your gun.
sw1115

Post by sw1115 »

Good info. Thanks for the replies.
Skip
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Unless you are starting with a competition grade 1911,
I would consider having a trigger job done by a competent gunsmith.
If you can't pull the trigger cleanly, it doesn't matter how accurate the gun is.
A search on this forum should give you a list of gunsmiths.
A few are Joe Chambers, Dave Salyer, FCW firearms, Clark Guns, KC Crawford and Ed Brown.

Nelson conversions are good.
But there is nothing wrong with a Marvel.
Zipp0

Post by Zipp0 »

The title says '45 Wadcutter gun" but in the body you add 1911 - there are other target grade 45s with fully adjustable triggers out there as standard.... Although you seem set on a 1911, there are options...
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Zipp0 wrote:The title says '45 Wadcutter gun" but in the body you add 1911 - there are other target grade 45s with fully adjustable triggers out there as standard.... Although you seem set on a 1911, there are options...
What ?

The OP has a 1911 already and wanting a .22 conversion for it.
No need to reinvent the wheel(get a different .45).

To the OP;
I use a Marvel unit 1 on a SA lower.

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
Sc0

Post by Sc0 »

For my Springfield RO to function with Federal 185gr SWC it just required a lighter recoil spring. Now I did pick up a Taurus 1911 and slapped a Nelson conversion on it for the rimfire portion, this is to take advantage of the 2lb trigger rule.
Ttgoods

Post by Ttgoods »

sw1115 wrote:I'm think about setting up a 1911 for wadcutters. What mods are needed or is this something I should consider sending out. I also want to get a 22 conversion for this. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks Skip
22lr Conversions, I had the best luck with Nelsons, Marvel is fine if you can get a good one cheaper. AA Marvel Pro is fine but a little light for me.

Modifications:

Trigger you will need a good #3.5 to #4 pound trigger that breaks clean and reliably

Barrel if your barrel does not feed SWC or BNWS, or LHPWC then you will need to get the barrel throat-ed.

Barrel if you are going to throat it consider a new Kart or Barsto barrel for improved Accuracy.

If you Barrel is good and prints under 5 inches at 50 yards one thing to do that is not a big investment is to get the bushing replaced that should shrink your groups an inch or more.

Magazines I like 7 round but 8 is fine as long as you have a good mag spring and follower (I like MetalForm Round Followers for match ammo).

If you plan on using optics you have three choices

Slide Mount (Marvel, Clark, Rock River, and Totts are your options)

Frame mount (vs slide mount its a ford vs. chevy thing and I like the slide mount)

and Machined into the frame (expensive but superior to slide mount)
gitkrunk

Post by gitkrunk »

I had a springfield RO set up with a dedicated nelson converison.. I have in the past switched from my ball gun to my 22lr. but it got old after the first year. glad i got a second lower.
tenx9

Post by tenx9 »

Just keep this in mind when using a .22 conversion on a 1911 frame. I bought a Nelson last year and the quality seemed fine, however, if your frame rails have been peened, the conversion won't fit and you have to send it back. The people at Nelson charge you for a restocking fee, claiming it is now a used conversion. Even though it wouldn't fit past an inch. I had both my .45 and .38 spec 1911s accurized back in the early 90's and that's what gunsmiths did to tighten the slide, then fit the slide to the peened rails. Now, with CNC machining they no longer do that. SO BEWARE, if you have an older pistol.
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

If you already have a 1911 that is accurate, ditto on good mags. I use Wilson's; expensive but I have never had an issue with one. I put the flat steel bottoms on them; springs can be changed and they open-up for cleaning.

If you are looking to buy a gun, the least expensive way to get in the game is to buy a Springfield RO (~$900+ new) and carefully shoot it off a rest with good ammo to see what you have. I've heard of shooters, I think many, claiming decent accuracy right out of the box. If the accuracy is not quite there, replace the bushing with one from Evolutionary Gun Works (get the slanted bored model; otherwise follow directions on website on how to order one). Get it slightly undersized and CAREFULLY sand down using 400 to 600 grit paper (its surprising how fast 0.01 inch can be removed). Use a dowel as a sanding block and if you have the purple machinist fluid, use it, or lipstick, to check for contact points. Note, it is possible to get a RO barrel that is off (I really don't know if Springfield test fires every barrel before using it, but kind of doubt it). Good smiths buy them in lots and test each one; subpar barrels are returned.

Or you can buy a RO and send it to KC Crawford, David Sams, or many other great 1911 smiths and get a spot-on pistol in 3 to 6 months (some smiths have be guns ready for sale). You do not need a $5000 gun to be competitive. If you have $2800 in your pocket, check out Mountain Competition; shot next to a guy who had on and it created serious lust...

If you are going to mount a red dot, suggest slide mounted using a Clark scope rail. Or use one of the micro red dots (these can be pricey but they are light and have adaptors that mount to rear sight cut). Their big advantage is the optic is low to the bore. Aimpoint makes a great red dot but they are quite pricey (~$600, but used ones can be found; suggest 2 MOA for precision). There are many ways to go and suggest you keep doing what you now are: asking current shooters.

I regularly see quality BE guns on the Bullseye-L forum for sale, many made by old masters. I warn you, like fly fishing, you are entering a fun, expensive, and addictive sport full of wonderful people. dipnet