Gun lube question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Hamdenman

Gun lube question

Post by Hamdenman »

I was at my local hardware store this weekend and saw a display of 3M products. They now have several oils including a "Dry Lube" and a "Silicon" oil for less than $4. Has anyone used either of these? This time of year I need a thinner oil especially for my .22. I've used sewing machine oil in the past, but I'm always looking for the next best thing.
jr_roosa

Re: Gun lube question

Post by jr_roosa »

I've become a big fan of eezox and it's very thin. It's a do everything oil and solvent. Smells funny.

I'm trying the MPro7 line now and I like it. Does a better job cleaning, because there is a separate cleaner and lube/protectant.

I avoid non gun products on guns, but not for any good reason. Superstition.

J.
Rover

Post by Rover »

30 weight motor oil, the cheaper the better (less/no additives) for lube. Automatic transmission fluid for bore cleaning.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I use Mobil No. 1 synthetic oil 5-20 W on all my guns now.
A quart will last a lifetime.
A very thin coat is all that is needed.
willt

Post by willt »

If you want really thin, RemOil looks like water! But kinda like Trooperjake, I have been using Mobil 1 0w-20 oil (thinner than 5w-20). Shooting at 28F this week and not a alibi, one!
Wm
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

That "Dry Lube" and "Silicon" oils from 3M is a NO-NO. They're only good for preserving the bluing. May I ask what type of .22 you're using?

For my Beretta Model 70, I use CorrosionX with excellent results.
Hamdenman

Post by Hamdenman »

Looks like 5W20. May be an answer as I've not seen CorrosionX around. I'm shooting a S&W 41 along with a RockRiver wad gun. The 41 was having a little issue going into battery. I have new springs in order as well. I suspect the one I have is weak and combined with the thicker oil, that's my problem. Runs fine right out of the car, but the longer it cools down, the worse it becomes.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Hamdenman wrote:The 41 was having a little issue going into battery. I have new springs in order as well. I suspect the one I have is weak and combined with the thicker oil, that's my problem. Runs fine right out of the car, but the longer it cools down, the worse it becomes.
Did you also check to see if the slide is dragging on the magazine or is anything else causing the slide to not go back completely into battery? Some guns can also be picky with ammo.

If you're in the U.S., check the CorrosionX website to see your nearest distributor/dealer in your area: http://www.corrosionx.com/
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

Hamdenman wrote:I have new springs in order as well. I suspect the one I have is weak and combined with the thicker oil, that's my problem. Runs fine right out of the car, but the longer it cools down, the worse it becomes.
Hamdenman,

Have you considered using Break Free CLP? Their website states that it performs in temperatures ranging from -65 degrees to +475 degrees F.
Hamdenman

Post by Hamdenman »

Yes. CLP break free is the main culprit. It just seems to get sludgy. Not sure why. Albeit mine is older- from the Clinton era!