Aimpoint H-1 Micros

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

ser2711

Aimpoint H-1 Micros

Post by ser2711 »

I would like to buy a red dot scope for my Colt 1911 .45 for bullseye target competitions . Which is the most popular?..the Aimpoint H-1 Micros or others?
SteveT

Re: Aimpoint H-1 Micros

Post by SteveT »

Ultradot tube scopes are far and away the most popular on the bullseye line. 1", 30mm, FourDot and MatchDot are all very common. I would guess more than half the dots used in Bullseye are Ultradots. They have hit the sweet spot between cost, reliability and quality. Their lifetime guarantee used to be a true warranty, but they have raised the cost of "shipping" a few times and take longer to repair. Ultradots do require repair more often than I would like, but if they are not abused they will provide years of trouble free service. Twice I've shot Ultradots in real rain at Perry, as opposed to light sprinkles or under a covered firing point, and twice they've needed repair because they became fogged inside.

The Aimpoint Micro is gaining favor, but cost 2-4 times what an ultradot costs. For that you get a much more reliable scope, longer battery life and excellent optics.

I change Ultradot batteries about once a year if I use them regularly. I've never changed an Aimpoint battery in several years.

I have some UD's with good optice, and some with aberations or shadows. All 3 of my Aimpoints have excellent optics and good anti-reflective coatings.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

It makes you wonder if the Ultradot's popularity is not based more on being Good Enough And Cheap, rather than being the best available. One wonders how a high-end mini-dot, such as a Trijicon, would fare.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Wondered that myself.

I have an Ultradot and it works OK, but there HAS to be better out there.
Ttgoods

Post by Ttgoods »

Ultra is fine and better than the Trijicon. In the EU the Aim point may be cheaper and its worth the PX.

I would also suggest the Primary Arms line , very good Aimpoint Clones but they are not Aimpoints.

Aimpoint is to the Ultradot as the Porsche 911 is to an Alpha.

If you decide to go Aimpoint then you will need to explore optimal mounting solutions. If a slide mount I would go with a Kodiak Rib.