Beginner starting from scratch

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Highwayman

Beginner starting from scratch

Post by Highwayman »

I've only been actively shooting for about two years, went from concealed carry courses to informal IDPA and USPSA work, later doing some tac courses. However, while I've built speed and form...Frankly, I still can't shoot. Close-up stages are a matter of speed and movement, but few things haunt me more than a distant steel plate or even just reeling my targets back on a crowded range. Asking around, some one told me to 'go shoot bullseye for a year' and learn hardcore fundamentals.

I only own the one pistol, which is both my everyday carry gun as well as my Action Pistol gun, just an old 9mm Glock 17. I also have a .22 conversion kit for it for cheaper training. However, I'm loosely aware that showing up to a Bullseye league with a Glock is as non-competitive as one could be. But, I'd still like to get comfortable making accurate shots at longer distances, and get over my fear of one handed shots as well.

I know of two nearby informal leagues I may be able to participate in, I believe one only features centerfire and .22 instead of the usual three. But frankly, I'd rather start with harder research, drills, and possibly instruction before taking last in my first league night. Some pistol sports are walk-on friendly, this one does not seem to be.

So, you have a novice shooter with an old duty pistol who wants to learn bullseye...Where do I start?
dulcmr-man

Re: Beginner starting from scratch

Post by dulcmr-man »

I'm writing from Palmdale in Southern California and Desert Marksmen Rifle & Pistol Club (http://www.desertmarksmen.org/) hosts a summer bullseye league every year from April through October. It's an 1800 match (90 rounds any pistol and 90 rounds any center fire) and it's about as friendly as one can find for beginners. We are happy to host new shooters and as long as you display proper safe handling habits you are welcome. Informal instruction is available. We also host other matches to include garand matches, practical pistol, tactical rifle, cowboy action, black powder, and long range (1000 yard) competitions. ALL matches are open to the general public so you don't have to join to shoot a match. Range usage outside of matches requires a membership. If you are near the Los Angeles area stop by and see what we are about.

Dennis
RMinUT

Post by RMinUT »

these guys know a little about training marksmen:

http://www.lassensharpshooters.com/USMC ... rkbook.pdf

the workbook is not a step by step how to shoot book but it will give you specific goals and teach the terms used at bullseye matches. use your .22 at 25 yards(if you have access). bullseye matches are usually very new shooter friendly but you have to know how to be safe, and have a clue as to the range commands.

You didn't say what part of the country you are in?
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Dear Highwayman:

While I have no idea where you are or the two clubs that are close to you, I can tell you that if you show up and ask if you can participate, every bullseye shooter and bullseye team I know about will roll out the red carpet for you.

Do not worry about your glock and its 22 conversion. We all started someplace and nobody going to snicker at you.

We have all been there and everybody posted lousy scores on their first match. Personally, I make it a point to encourage new shooters.

Ya see, you are the most valuable shooter in the bullseye world, the "Newby". An endangered species if you may.

Go ahead, shoot the team an email. Give their captain or contact person a call. Let us know where you are and perhaps someone on this forum can grease the skids for you. We need to nurture the few new shooters that show up.

Honestly, once you start shooting on a regular bullseye club or team, it will be fun, challenging, and you will meet some of the best people on the face of the earth.

Sincerely,
George (aka cranky)
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you're in the Phoenix area, Phoenix Rod and Gun Club is the answer to your problem, with many opportunies aimed at shooters like you.
Highwayman

Post by Highwayman »

My deepest apologies! I'm located in Northern Illinois in the Chicagoland suburbs.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Highwayman wrote:My deepest apologies! I'm located in Northern Illinois in the Chicagoland suburbs.

I sent you a private message with a contact for shooting Bullseye. I know several of the Chicago area shooters.
FredB

Post by FredB »

Highwayman wrote: However, I'm loosely aware that showing up to a Bullseye league with a Glock is as non-competitive as one could be.
Actually, not showing up at all is as non-competitive as one could be. Go!