New Bullseye Shooter and Pardini SP 22/32

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

UtahDave

New Bullseye Shooter and Pardini SP 22/32

Post by UtahDave »

I finally semi-retired and have time to get more serious about Bullseye shooting. I’m enjoying this new discipline. I’m mainly a Schuetzen, BPCR and muzzleloader shooter but pistols are fun and more suited for indoors in the winter.

I bought a very nice bullseye 45 which I find difficult in rapid and timed fire compared to my Ruger Mk 3. Last week I purchased a Pardini 22 SP and liked it so much I decided to purchase the 32 ACP conversion. After reviewing the many posts on reloading the 32 ACP on this forum and I wonder if someone could summarize the current thinking for my specific plans and conditions.

I will mainly shoot 25 yards using lead bullets but will buy some XPT 60 gr for the long line. I plan to cast my own and probably using 20:1 alloy since I’m set up for that but I’m happy to buy bullets if there is a good recommendation. I bought a bunch of Starline brass since other brass is proving hard to find.

What I would like to know is which dies to purchase and what the current thinking is on bullet molds. I understand that the brass should probably be expanded to 0.314” dia., is that correct? I also read that once set up for lead bullets (I use a Dillon 550B) it is not so easy to convert to jacketed bullets. Is this because different dies are required or just adjusting the dies in the press?

Thanks,

Dave
paw080

Re: New Bullseye Shooter and Pardini SP 22/32

Post by paw080 »

Hi Dave, at some point you will still have to reload 45acp and overcome your

difficulty shooting the 45. you will need your 45 to shoot all three Bullseye classes.

Most 2700 shooters use their 45 for centerfire as well as 45 class. You can load

some very light recoiling, yet X-ring accurate 45acp rounds. For example; my

Timed/Rapid fire load uses an H&G 68(200gr LSWC) cast bullet, propelled by

3.1 grs of Bullseye powder. Maybe your pistol will require more powder(3.2-3.3 grs).

3.1 grs yields a very light recoil, yet is X-ring accurate at 25yds in my ancient 1911.

There is nothing wrong with shooting the 32 conversion for Centerfire; I just think

it will require extra load development for 25yds and 50yds. Best of luck;

Tony
UtahDave

Post by UtahDave »

Tony,

Thanks, yes I do reload the 45 using 185 gr Nosler HP bullets and N-310 powder. I've not tried any lead bullets, the 185's work so well I've not been motivated. It is the recoil that gets me. I guess I need more practice.

I didn't mention it but I've not shot any 2700 matches at all and am just working on my skills by shooting with some other folks. I'm shooting open sights on the 45 and that is a problem with my old eyes. The Ultradot goes on this weekend.

I'm pretty familiar with load development for my 32-40 and 25-20 WCF Schuetzen rifles but pistols are a whole lot more difficult because of they are so hard to hold off the bench.

Cheers,

Dave
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

UtahDave wrote:I finally semi-retired and have time to get more serious about Bullseye shooting. I’m enjoying this new discipline. I’m mainly a Schuetzen, BPCR and muzzleloader shooter but pistols are fun and more suited for indoors in the winter.

I bought a very nice bullseye 45 which I find difficult in rapid and timed fire compared to my Ruger Mk 3. Last week I purchased a Pardini 22 SP and liked it so much I decided to purchase the 32 ACP conversion. After reviewing the many posts on reloading the 32 ACP on this forum and I wonder if someone could summarize the current thinking for my specific plans and conditions.

I will mainly shoot 25 yards using lead bullets but will buy some XPT 60 gr for the long line. I plan to cast my own and probably using 20:1 alloy since I’m set up for that but I’m happy to buy bullets if there is a good recommendation. I bought a bunch of Starline brass since other brass is proving hard to find.

What I would like to know is which dies to purchase and what the current thinking is on bullet molds. I understand that the brass should probably be expanded to 0.314” dia., is that correct? I also read that once set up for lead bullets (I use a Dillon 550B) it is not so easy to convert to jacketed bullets. Is this because different dies are required or just adjusting the dies in the press?

Thanks,

Dave
Is your 32 barrel an S&W or an ACP?

If you are just going to shoot at the 25 yard line it doesn't matter, but few people have been able to achieve good accuracy at the 50 with 32 S&W.

Rapid fire with a 1911 takes a lot of drill. One of the problems with switching between the guns, is grip, and grip angle is totally different.

It isn't hard to switch a Dillon between lead and jacketed bullets. The seating depth often needs to be adjusted, and an over crip on a jacketed round, really looks sketchy.

But if you aren't going to shoot at the fifty, no need to spend money on a jacketed bullet.

It also complicates the cleaning process.
UtahDave

Post by UtahDave »

Hi Isabel,

It is a 32 ACP. I will mainly shoot at 25 yards or on my home range which is 50 ft.

Yes, I am struggling with the grip angles. The 45 has plain or traditional grips. The Pardini is quite Euro. I may try to change the angle a bit.

Dave
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

UtahDave,

If your Pardini has the stock grip the angle of the grip is adjustable. Just loosen the bolt that holds in on and rotate the grip to the angle you want. If you go to the 1911 angle you might need a longer bolt.
sobakavitch

Post by sobakavitch »

ABC
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dronning

Post by dronning »

Just and FYI

Zins has highly modified the grip on his AW-93 so it very closely matches the 1911 grip. Like Brian says not purdy but it works!

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

dronning wrote:Just and FYI

Zins has highly modified the grip on his AW-93 so it very closely matches the 1911 grip. Like Brian says not purdy but it works!

- Dave

In my not so humble opinion, the one thing the Pardini, and AW-93, and the Hammerli 208 have in common, is that all three guns have a far superior trigger than the 1911. Some people try and make the trigger on the AW just like the 1911. Which, again, in my opinion is a mistake. If you do that, might was well chuck that fancy Euro gun in the trash, and pick up a good rimfire conversion. A lot cheaper too.

I have chosen to go the other way. Modified the triggers on my 1911 to be more like my Steyr LP50. Seems to be working.
sobakavitch

Post by sobakavitch »

ABC
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

sobakavitch wrote:Doesn't have to be ugly.

http://www.cm-machine.com/Feinwerkbau-A ... r_c_9.html

Trigger is a great modification.

For Pardini:

http://www.bullseyeforum.net/t3291-hort ... ght=horton

The ways to skin a cat are numerous.
It isn't a matter of being ugly. One of the reasons the AW/Hammerli/Pardini/Steyr triggers are better is because they are wider which allows for more consistent finger placement, and a smoother and lighter pull.

I have had my 1911 triggers ground down, and a bronze shoe attached that makes my trigger finger placement more uniform across all my guns, and makes it much easier to maintain a consistent grip.

I can still shoot a standard 1911 pretty well, but it takes me a bit of time to get used to that narrow trigger, and heavier pull.
sobakavitch

. . . .

Post by sobakavitch »

. . . .
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I watched George Siordian clean a "L" target in Timed today (100-10X) with his Walther .32 with wadcutters.

I wanted to slap him.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

UtahDave wrote:I will mainly shoot 25 yards using lead bullets but will buy some XPT 60 gr for the long line. I plan to cast my own and probably using 20:1 alloy since I’m set up for that but I’m happy to buy bullets if there is a good recommendation. I bought a bunch of Starline brass since other brass is proving hard to find.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave, If you are shooting lead, the brass has to be expanded more than when shooting jacketed. The chamber in the Pardini is fairly large so the brass is getting worked a lot if shooting jacketed and they are being sized small enough that the bullets won't slide in when reloading. When loading lead, it is better to get an oversize sizing die so the brass isn't overworked by the expander.
I don't know about the Starline ACP brass because I have never measured one but the 32 long Starline brass begins its taper too early making it all but impossible to expand them correctly for a long wadcutter. There is a lot of difference in the neck thickness of different manufacturers of brass too which can make a lot of difference in loading a bullet as small as a 32.

While several of us have tested a bunch of different molds, none are actually the right size except custom stuff. The most tested is the Accurate 60 grain .314 SWC that is talked about on all the posts. Seat this bullet with just 10 thousandths or so in front of the case after expanding the case to .314. Some people have used a .315 expander. There is a lot on the posts about powder amounts so you can get an idea of what to do. I settled on 1.5 of Titegroup but it may be a small amount different in other guns and apparently a lot of different loads have worked for different people. I haven't messed with jacketed but several people have listed their loads.
siordian1

Post by siordian1 »

Rover, my wife wants to watch you slap me.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Remember George, it's not the same as spank you.