Springfield Range Officer: EIC Leg Matches?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Cousin Jack

Springfield Range Officer: EIC Leg Matches?

Post by Cousin Jack »

What has to be done to a Springfield Range Officer in order to make it a passable hardball gun?
jmdavis

Re: Springfield Range Officer: EIC Leg Matches?

Post by jmdavis »

As long as your trigger makes weight, nothing under the new rules. I shot one a couple of times last year in leg matches.
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

To test the accuracy, shoot off of a sandbag and check it at 50 yards. If you are unhappy with the results you can get a new barrel and bushing, you might also want to clean up the trigger, or not.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

jmdavis wrote:To test the accuracy, shoot off of a sandbag and check it at 50 yards. If you are unhappy with the results you can get a new barrel and bushing, you might also want to clean up the trigger, or not.

I agree. Great gun for the money. I was going to buy one, until I read the rules for the CMP games "as issued" matches, and decided that a Springfield mil spec with the non adjustable sights would suit me better. I still use my Beretta for LEG matches.

Very happy with my Springfield Mil Spec.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

jmdavis wrote:As long as your trigger makes weight, nothing under the new rules. I shot one a couple of times last year in leg matches.

Thank you very much..... could I ask a follow-up question? I have a nice Colt Combat Commander: if I replaced the slide and barrel, put a spur hammer on it, stiffen the trigger some, could that be shot in the EIC leg matches?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Cousin Jack wrote:
jmdavis wrote:As long as your trigger makes weight, nothing under the new rules. I shot one a couple of times last year in leg matches.

Thank you very much..... could I ask a follow-up question? I have a nice Colt Combat Commander: if I replaced the slide and barrel, put a spur hammer on it, stiffen the trigger some, could that be shot in the EIC leg matches?

I think, don't quote me on this, that the Colt Commander would be legal as is. The only question might be, will the barrel shoot at fifty yards?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Actually, I've now found a pretty highly recommended gunsmith in Snohomish, Wa, who is going to convert my already tight wad cutter into a hardball gun ....... he'll remove the top rail, stiffen the springs, set the trigger at 4.5 pounds and mill out a Bomar-type dovetail for an adjustable rear sight for me...... I'll then shoot it in NRA centerfire, NRA .45 caliber match, and EIC competitions. I don't care too much about how competitive I am in NRA matches, but I have an impossible dream of legging out in EIC matches.... Hope springs eternal. Now I'll research out a match grade .22 lr conversion for the Combat Commander! Covered!

Isabel1130 wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:

I think, don't quote me on this, that the Colt Commander would be legal as is. The only question might be, will the barrel shoot at fifty yards?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Actually, I've now found a pretty highly recommended gunsmith in Snohomish, Wa, who is going to convert my already tight wad cutter into a hardball gun ....... he'll remove the top rail, stiffen the springs, set the trigger at 4.5 pounds and mill out a Bomar-type dovetail for an adjustable rear sight

4.5 pounds is overkill. Set the trigger at 4.25, clean and oiled. Gotta clear 4 pounds, and a quarter pound over gives you some wiggle room.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Isabel1130 wrote:
Actually, I've now found a pretty highly recommended gunsmith in Snohomish, Wa, who is going to convert my already tight wad cutter into a hardball gun ....... he'll remove the top rail, stiffen the springs, set the trigger at 4.5 pounds and mill out a Bomar-type dovetail for an adjustable rear sight

4.5 pounds is overkill. Set the trigger at 4.25, clean and oiled. Gotta clear 4 pounds, and a quarter pound over gives you some wiggle room.
+1
All my pistols are very close to .25 lbs over allowance.
No need for surprises when getting weighed and no need to be overweight.

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

4.25 it is, then..... thank you.....
Murph

Post by Murph »

I used a bone stock Springfield Range Officer to shoot my leg matches. I got points every time and made distinguished in 5 matches. Awesome gun.
I think it's probably a 3-4" gun at 50 yards. Great accuracy for the money. I bought it used for $600. Was more than good enough to compete.
I had a new front bushing put in it recently to maybe tighten it up a little. It seems a bit better now and that was a cheap upgrade.
Stock Springfield barrels are pretty awesome. Their custom shop doesn't bother buying Kart or Nowlin anymore for builds unless requested. Their in house made barrels are just as good. My Springfield Wad gun knocks the X out all day with a stock Springfield barrel that is hand fit by their Custom Shop.

A friend of mine shot a Range Officer for many years, shooting in the 2600's. His only be had a hand fit front bushing and a Clark rail with an Ultradot. Stock barrel and internals. Stock frame to slide. Cheap wad gun that was very competitive. He now has a more "elite" hand built gun by one of the best, and he shoots no better scores than he did with that range officer.
Sc0

Post by Sc0 »

I am using a Springfield RO .45 for bullseye, 3.75lb trigger setup for wadcutter. The only major modification was installing a EGW MELT barrel bushing, this bushing was installed TIGHT that requires a wrench and effort to remove. This has tightened up the accuracy and combined with the KC roll trigger it is my favorite gun to shoot. The RO is a very nice production pistol for the money, I wish some of the parts weren't MIM and fitted tighter but it isn't a TRP or a SACS modified gun and was under $800...

For a hardball gun I would say a new NM bushing and a heavier recoil spring would be all that is required and verify the trigger weight, mine was 5.5+lb area after 1k rounds.

I also have a Mil-Spec that was supposed to be an EIC gun but since the CMP changed the rules, the RO can be legally used.