Just shot my 1st match and I'm hooked. Need 22 advice!

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

pangris

Just shot my 1st match and I'm hooked. Need 22 advice!

Post by pangris »

Greetings all. I shot my first match recently. I wrote a long blah blah blah post about it over on an HK forum as I used a (please pardon me) polymer pistol for the CF and 45 portion of the match.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-t ... match.html

It isn't a Clark 1911 but I believe it will do well enough for the time being, because...

My real interest in in the 22 portion. I love it. Hooked from the first 10 shot string. I grew up shooting my father's 41 which has been passed on to me as it will be passed on to one of my boys. I currently have a Clark upper on the 41 for competition. It has the tightest chamber known to mankind but it manages to consistently shoot at least 5 rounds before it chokes. I can't complain much as it allowed me to shoot a 557/600 my first time out with a cheap red dot on top. I suspect it will get an Ultramatch RD soon and otherwise truck on as it sits. Attached is a photo of the best group I managed off a rest when testing a few different types of ammo.

So I said all that to say I'm lucky enough to have stumbled into also having an old Hamden HS Victor I picked up on trade a few years back. It has sat in my safe until last week when I remembered that I might have another Bullseye pistol.

The Victor is a bit jammy - it is my understanding that they tend to feed a particular round well once tuned, but I'm not familiar with them and I'd like to send it to someone who knows what they are doing to go through the gun and tweak the mags as necessary.

Who are the better Victor gunsmiths out there these days? My usual go to guys all said they don't work on them.

Thanks for any help - I look forward to learning this sport.
Attachments
20151002_095322.jpg
GunRunner

Re: Just shot my 1st match and I'm hooked. Need 22 advice!

Post by GunRunner »

What is that on the barrel? what ever it is it is not legal for true nra bullseye matches, as for the high standard, they do good if it functions a 100% but most have feeding issues with the mags.
Bill Treanor

Post by Bill Treanor »

Check out this thread from rimfire central: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... ?p=4956433
Bill Treanor

Post by Bill Treanor »

Here is another thread with some recommendations: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=50436
pangris

Post by pangris »

GunRunner wrote:What is that on the barrel? what ever it is it is not legal for true nra bullseye matches, as for the high standard, they do good if it functions a 100% but most have feeding issues with the mags.
That is my AAC Element.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/ELEMENT2_p_437.html

It is the best money I ever spent on anything gun related. Hollywood quiet on the right host. The relatively heavy steel slide of the 41 and the impact of the bullet are by far the loudest parts of the equation.

For a match, I take it off and screw on the thread protector - but I assure you if you played with it, you'd come away thinking anything less isn't a civilized affair ;^)

I intend to give the HS a chance. If it isn't for me, c'est la vie. I haven't tried it with CCI SV, which would probably be a smart place to start.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

The High Standards can't take ammo that is not true standard velocity and the faster stuff will harm them. There is a magazine problem because they have to be adjusted just right and if dropped can be out of adjustment in a moment. I have two stainless mags that are very strong and never seem to get out of adjustment but they certainly were not correct when I bought them new. The best is to see if someone has a mag that will work in your gun and then measure it and make yours the same. After you get it to work, slowly bend them one direction a little at a time until it stops feeding. Then go the opposite and after you find that measurement, adjust it so it is in the middle and write it down so you can correct it when it changes. There is thought out there that some mags won't work and that is probably not true and they just need to be adjusted so they work in your gun. A simple 3/8 bolt with a slot cut in the end with a hack saw will adjust the mags. Most of them are quite soft and bend easily. As you do this make sure that as you bend the lips, you stay centered and don't just bend one side.

Before you ever decide to buy a different 22, make sure you try different ones so that you get what suits you the best. Some people like heavy front ends with a scope mounted as far forward as possible and others like it heavy in the back. The other thing that may matter to you is grip angles. Most people have a preference one way or another and the next is roll trigger or abrupt. Have fun as you go but don't jump to conclusions.
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

pangris,

I was very pleased with the work performed on my High Standard Victor by David Sams. Here is his contact info:

Sams Custom Gunworks

254 Columbia Road

Cartersville, VA 23027

804-375-3782

Also, check out his website: http://www.samscustomgunworksusa.com

He was referred to me by several trusted shooters in our league. He specializes in Bullseye Guns, but does other work as well.
siordian1

Post by siordian1 »

I pulled the original Victor off and installed a LSP barrel and scope base. www.lsp-vt.com. There is also a good page on adjusting the mags. highstandardpartsonline.com. Buy good mags from Brownells. I have 3 and all work fine. Use good ammo, CCI std. velocity, eley club or target. Cheap HV ammo will not work and damage the gun over time. Mine works great.
pangris

Post by pangris »

Many thanks for the referrals and links. I'm really looking forward to getting the gun running to evaluate what I'm working with/against...
NoNoBadDog

Post by NoNoBadDog »

I'm not sure what the question is. You have a model 41, its a good gun and I'd use it for .22 comp.
your barrel is a mess though. Why are you worried about noise?
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

Exactly how does the suppressor make that gun not bullseye "legal". The only thing I can think of is IF the combination of the suppressor and the barrel are over 10 inches AND it was determined that the suppressor was considered a "barrel" under the rules then it would not meet the definition for "open". Barrel comps are legal for conventional, excuse me "precision" pistol and I assume that if the shooter is legal as far as the suppressor ownership goes, then it would be ok for competition.

Can anyone point me to the rule for comment in Gunrunner's post?

Thank you.

CR
Rover

Post by Rover »

Your M41 is just what you need, unless you're planning on losing a lot.
xeye

Re: Just shot my 1st match and I'm hooked. Need 22 advice! H

Post by xeye »

The High Standard with the lSP barrel functions fine if the mags are correct. The original mags were .100 inches taller than the TX mags IIRC, once I figured that out I got original mags. The one mag that originally came with the gun, Hamden Gun and mag worked perfectly. CCI is a problem because of heavy lube and extra length of cartridge, the mags are a little tight for the OA length. But the TX people, I heard, fixed the mag issue by making new series the right height. Get the right mag.

Old series mags from Brownells did not work.

You can clean the lube off CCI with solvent and function improves. Also, carefully put them in the mag so the point tips up.

Now Federal 22's shot just fine, they are shorter and don't have lube.

Just cus you have a 41 doesn't mean you have to shoot it in comp. I don't shoot 41's well, they are just not comfortable to me. I preferred the HS, even though I had to clean it every 120 rounds of CCI.

Another thing you can to is just drag the bullet end accross one of those sanding sponges and just take off 50 to 100 thousandths.

Shoot std vel. only as high velocity can crack the frame in the mag well where there is a stress riser.

HTH
perazzi

Post by perazzi »

50 to 100 thousands (.050-.100) is an awful lot to sand off!
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

perazzi wrote:50 to 100 thousands (.050-.100) is an awful lot to sand off!
Exactly and if a Bullseye pistol won't shoot CCI SV, there is something wrong. I don't use it but everyone who has alibi problems does.

xeye, make sure that the firing pin isn't too long as it may have put a dent in the back of the chamber causing issues.
xeye

Post by xeye »

.050 of the top of a lead bullet is what ? less than a 1/16th? And most of that is the wax lube. So, I dont think it's a lot at all. I just dragged a sanding sponge across the upturned bullets while they were still in the plastic thingy, the grid with the holes just lifts out of the box. Put em upside down on the bench or hold them against something and give a swipe. Uncle Bob smiles.
Last edited by xeye on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
xeye

Post by xeye »

oldcaster wrote:
Exactly and if a Bullseye pistol won't shoot CCI SV, there is something wrong. I don't use it but everyone who has alibi problems does.

xeye, make sure that the firing pin isn't too long as it may have put a dent in the back of the chamber causing issues.

with the original Hamden HS mags, they are not designed for the overall length of the CCI, that's the problem. I tweeked them a bit and it was all good except for the wax lube build up that caused reliability problems.

Once I got a case of CCI that had so much lube on it; it would not work at all. Wouldn't drop into a clean chamber.

After stopping the gun, re cleaning and stopping a couple of times, I did the "drop test" and realized the problem.

BUT, if I took solvent and wiped off all that lube they functioned fine.

So I took the case back and got a different lot #. Problem solved.

I HAD to shoot CCI because it was just SO inexpensive and shot better than anything up to Eley at 3-4 times the price.
jglenn

Post by jglenn »

drop the silencer on your 41 and get it fixed where it will be reliable and you're done.

I run the 41 with the clark barrel and its 100% after tuning.

try different ammo on your 41 to see if you can find what it likes..

Mine will run Geco and Norma TAC quit well... Also SK std plus and pistol match..

if you need a smith to tune it , find KC Crawford.. he is among the best on the 41s