Mystery Handgun

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Pbalkan

Mystery Handgun

Post by Pbalkan »

I've been offered this single-shot, .32 caliber handgun for a very reasonable price.

I don't have it in hand and have just this one photo. It does not have a manufacturer's name or serial number. I will have to wait until I have it, in hand, to research it's proof marks.

It seems very similar to some of the German target pistols but I can't find any other examples in .32 caliber nor do I know of any competition where a .32 single-shot would make sense. So... it's the caliber and purpose that mystify me.

For some reason, I get the impression that it was made around the early 20th Century. Being a center-fire would be consistent with that date.

My American shooting friends seem to just be able to guess. I think I need a collector or a European shooter (where these are probably more common) to help me.

But... all comments, guesses and information will be appreciated.
Attachments
Mystery-gun-b.jpg
Tony C.

Re: Mystery Handgun

Post by Tony C. »

You may try to post your picture at this site and see if you can get any answer.

http://classictargetpistols.com
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Are you sure it's a centerfire?
Pbalkan

Post by Pbalkan »

I'm not 100% sure of anything since I don't have the firearm in hand. The dealer who's selling me the gun says it's center-fire and about .32 cal. I'm guessing that it's not terribly old. Maybe early 20th Century. If so, there wouldn't be any rimfires except .22.

If no one recognizes it... I'll research the proof marks when I get it.
Bob O

Post by Bob O »

Pbalkan wrote:I'm not 100% sure of anything since I don't have the firearm in hand. The dealer who's selling me the gun says it's center-fire and about .32 cal. I'm guessing that it's not terribly old. Maybe early 20th Century. If so, there wouldn't be any rimfires except .22.

If no one recognizes it... I'll research the proof marks when I get it.
.32 rimfire was a very common caliber in that era.
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi,

These fall under the heading of scheibenpistole. If you search that term, you'll find out a bit more info. Some of the details suggest Belgian origin, such as the fluted grips, and lower frame contour. But, that's just a vague impression off the top of my head.
There are a couple things that suggest it has had some conversion work done. The hammer doesn't have a fixed firing pin, the screws on the side if the barrel chamber look uncharacteristic, and the nickel/blue finish mix seems out of place. Again, general comments based on having seen a lot of these.
The 32 chambering is not so strange. Scheibenpistoles were made in everything from a couple different 4 mm cartridges, to various 22s, up to small/medium bores, any of which could be rimfire or centerfire, with an odd mix of straight and bottleneck cases thrown in.
There was even a bizarre game which combined scheibenpistoles with the art of dueling in which competitors actually shot at each other using a small bore clay roundball!

Best regards,
Jim
Pbalkan

Post by Pbalkan »

Thank you, Jim.

I've looked at some of these firearms but I couldn't find one that matched (identical). I didn't fully consider the possibility that it might have been modified. I should have. Besides being a shooter, I am a hobbyist-watchmaker (pocket watches). I know that there's a "middle period" when an object is no longer new but not yet collectible as an antique. During that period, it's virtually worthless and if owners even care to keep it working, they are usually not willing to pay the price to keep it correct. In restoring pocket watches, much of my efforts are to "un-do" previous repairs.

I suppose that re-boring wouldn't be totally out of the question either.

I suppose that I won't really be able to know it's ammunition without slugging and/or casting the chamber. Neither is terribly difficult and I sorta welcome the challenge.

I'm especially glad that you have assured me that .32 caliber is not impossible or terribly unlikely. I have nearly completer confidence in my dealer/friend and if he says it's .32, it is.

Thanks again.
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi,
I've dug in a bit more, and feel more confident about the Belgian origin idea.
The screws and possible mechanism on the side of the barrel are a bit puzzling. It might be that this was made or modified as a multiple barrel set. So, maybe the parts on the side of the barrel are a manual extractor?
Regarding the hammer, while it's perhaps not as common to see a separate firing pin in the breechblock, it's not unheard of.
The chambering could be something as common as 32 S&W long, or maybe something more unusual like a 8mm-8.15mm bottleneck.
If you get a chamber cast, I can probably help you with identification. Some of the oddballs aren't listed in sources such as Barnes' Cartridges of the World or the like.
Also, if you want to send me photos of proof marks, I can possibly identify those and narrow down some of the history.

Best Regards,
Jim

PS: Yes, I do a lot of antique string instrument restoration work, and am also familiar with the lucrative field of "un-doing" repairs!
DonB

Post by DonB »

It looks to me like a 19th century Flobert pistol with a later added manual extractor and center fire conversion. Usually they were in 5.5mm (.22) and smoothbore but if you search you will also find 8mm and 9mm rimfire ammunition for these pistols. (The Belgian manufacture would also fit)

Do you know if it is rifled or smoothbore?