Loose Hornady XTP .32 acp 60 gr

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

wes lorenz

Re: Loose Hornady XTP .32 acp 60 gr

Post by wes lorenz »

I think the problem may lay at Pardini's feet......why would you try to shoot a .312" projectile down a .314"-.315" barrel?
Maybe Pardini should start a production run of .311" or .308" barrels. Then They'd be more inline with what works at 50yds in the .32 S&W long and maybe the .32acp!
.45acp? already highmastered that...............Old guys just want to have fun!!! :)
Just my .02,
Wes
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Something I noticed from the CBC and the Remington is that the case wall thickness doesn't vary much whereas others do a lot. Then when expanding a case either from a larger expander or firing in a loose chamber the brass doesn't expand uniformly and gets a bulge on one side and nothing on the other. Even good brass does this a bit and while I have never proven this to be detrimental I would expect that it is.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Another variable to add to the mix.

I loaded some Hornady 60 XTP 0.312" bullets yesterday to test some barrels. Yes, the bullets measured 0.312". Recent boxes of Hornady 60 XTP bullets measure 0.311".

The boxes, however, are labeled 0.311".

Cheers,

Dave
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I wonder if they are making a move to what they expect would be better for the Pardini. They can't go too far without being a problem for some of the WWII guns.
dmw6455

Post by dmw6455 »

Loaded 150 rounds of .32 acp Hornady XTP 60 Gr in once fired Hornady Brass and a special Hornady Brass labeled "Frontier". Again I am using the Redding sizing die same as I did with the once fired Remington brass. Not one single loose bullet! Unless the Hornady sizing die I have on order will size brass slightly smaller, I cannot load with any of the Remington brass. Forced to re-use the Hornady factory brass until someone else comes up (Starline) with some thicker walled brass. Unfortunately, to get Hornady brass you have to buy their loaded ammo. Never tried Magtech, but may have to try a bag of 100 to see if they work.
beeser

Post by beeser »

dmw6455 wrote:Loaded 150 rounds of .32 acp Hornady XTP 60 Gr in once fired Hornady Brass and a special Hornady Brass labeled "Frontier". Again I am using the Redding sizing die same as I did with the once fired Remington brass. Not one single loose bullet! Unless the Hornady sizing die I have on order will size brass slightly smaller, I cannot load with any of the Remington brass. Forced to re-use the Hornady factory brass until someone else comes up (Starline) with some thicker walled brass. Unfortunately, to get Hornady brass you have to buy their loaded ammo. Never tried Magtech, but may have to try a bag of 100 to see if they work.
I've compared Magtech, once fired Hornady and S&W (Fiocchi) brass and have found the Hornady brass to have about a .001" greater wall thickness than Magtech brass. The S&W wall thickness is about .002" thicker than the Hornady. I don't have any Remington brass yet but suspect it to be similar to Magtech.

Edit:
The S&W brass is only about .0005" - .001" thicker than the Hornady brass. The S&W brass has a coated band on the inside that after removing gave the revised measurements.