Loose Hornady XTP .32 acp 60 gr

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

dmw6455

Loose Hornady XTP .32 acp 60 gr

Post by dmw6455 »

I am using a Dillon 550 with Redding dies. Suddenly, I am having loose bullets almost every couple loads, but not all. My OAL .894 and my crimp is .330. Using Remington Brass. All bullets are measuring .3125. Outside case diameter after sizing is .332. Inside case diameter is .3115. Case wall thickness is .11 I have dialed out almost all bell. Yet, can literally push the bullet into the case. Is the problem erratic case thickness?
beeser

Re: Loose Hornady XTP .32 acp 60 gr

Post by beeser »

After having disastrous results using Fiocchi manufactured brass I'm convinced that my problems are case wall thickness related. Have you measured enough of the brass to indicate that there is variation in case wall thickness? How did you dial out the bell?

Good timing on this post because I'm loading some Hornady XTP, Speer equiv. and T&B 60 gr. LSWC bullets now using Magtech brass. The Magtech brass is measuring about .330" OD, .310" ID and .010" wall thickness. The Fiocchi brass that I used previously had about double the wall thickness.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

Star Line brass says they are going to do a run. Of .32 ACP brass this summer. I have been very happy with their .45 ACP brass.

Chip
beeser

Post by beeser »

ChipEck wrote:Star Line brass says they are going to do a run. Of .32 ACP brass this summer. I have been very happy with their .45 ACP brass.

Chip
Good to hear. Do you know what specs. they will be using to produce it? I've been using Starline exclusively except for .32 ACP.
Murph

Post by Murph »

I had the same problem at one time with my 32 loads. The brass needed to be sized down a bit more to load the small Hornady bullets. I was using a Hornady resizing and depriming die that resized them down properly and solved that loose bullet issue. When loading the larger lead 0.315" bullets, I left the case size alone (and bigger) and only deprimed and skipped the size down function of that die.

What die are you using to size and deprime? Sounds like the brass is too big at the moment
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

beeser wrote:
ChipEck wrote:Star Line brass says they are going to do a run. Of .32 ACP brass this summer. I have been very happy with their .45 ACP brass.

Chip
Good to hear. Do you know what specs. they will be using to produce it? I've been using Starline exclusively except for .32 ACP.
All I know is this email I received
Chip,

We are planning on offering .32 ACP brass sometime later this summer.

Regards,

Hunter Pilant
Process Manager
Chief Ballistician
hunter@starlinebrass.com
Description: http://www.starlinebrass.com/demo/images/headerlogo.gif
Starline Inc.
1300 W. Henry Street
Sedalia, MO 65301
800-280-6660
660-827-6640
www.facebook.com/StarlineBrass
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

Remington brass is very thin and I use it to load the larger diameter lead 60 gr SWC. I use Federal, Winchester, Hornady for the 60 gr XTP bullet. I also have a slightly smaller sizing die that I use when loading the XTP.

I emailed starline to find out more about the 32acp brass specifications and got no response not even a sorry we do not have that information yet.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Dear Dana,

You should learn to shoot the .45.

It will be worth it, I promise.

Sincerely,

John
dmw6455

Post by dmw6455 »

I found after playing around it the Remington brass that is the problem. The factory Hornady brass does not have that problem when reloading it. Hope Starline decides to make a run.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

dmw6455 wrote:I am using a Dillon 550 with Redding dies. Suddenly, I am having loose bullets almost every couple loads, but not all. My OAL .894 and my crimp is .330. Using Remington Brass. All bullets are measuring .3125. Outside case diameter after sizing is .332. Inside case diameter is .3115. Case wall thickness is .11 I have dialed out almost all bell. Yet, can literally push the bullet into the case. Is the problem erratic case thickness?

Admittedly, I have not loaded .32, but have loaded plenty of Hornaday JHP 9mm, I am not sure what the problem is here.

If the loose bullets are not distorting the walls of the case, by causing a bulge in them, and you can crimp them, without making the OAL too short, isn't the only issue how they shoot?
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

The problem is due to the fact that 32 ACP guns have every bore and chamber size possible. Manufacturers made their brass and bullets so that they would pretty well work in all of them which means some bullets might cause problems in some guns. The Pardini chamber is pretty big and so is the barrel so repeated firings in it will allow your brass to get bigger. My expander quite obviously bulges the cases (CBC)but after they are fired 5 or 6 times, it is clear that the bulge is getting deeper than my expander. I am however using a .002 thousandths over size die.

I don't think there is any possible way that you can shoot jacketed bullets and lead bullets that are large enough for accuracy repeatedly out of the same brass or by using the same expander. Even the same sizer is not a good idea because you will work the brass too much.
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

Old caster stated:

"I don't think there is any possible way that you can shoot jacketed bullets and lead bullets that are large enough for accuracy repeatedly out of the same brass or by using the same expander. Even the same sizer is not a good idea because you will work the brass too much."

I agree with him I use different size sizing die and expander when I go between the Hornady XTP bullet and the 60 gr SWC. I also use the thinner brass cases like Remington for the lead bullets and the thicker for the XTP bullet.
beeser

Post by beeser »

Loading for .32 ACP has been a real learning experience and the problems encountered were nothing like loading for .45 ACP or even .38 Special. It's good to have a forum like this to work things out.
beeser

Post by beeser »

pistol champ wrote:Remington brass is very thin and I use it to load the larger diameter lead 60 gr SWC. I use Federal, Winchester, Hornady for the 60 gr XTP bullet. I also have a slightly smaller sizing die that I use when loading the XTP.

I emailed starline to find out more about the 32acp brass specifications and got no response not even a sorry we do not have that information yet.
I suspect the reason we haven't heard from Starline yet is they don't know or haven't decided how to respond to the very problems being discussed here. What size bullet and/or chamber will they size their brass?
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Starline asked me to respond on their site with what I knew and after writing an essay of a couple thousand words, it disappeared when I clicked on send and I didn't copy it first because I didn't expect that result. I then sent a short note as to what happened and got no response. I doubt seriously if I will do that again. As far as brass is concerned, use CBC or Remington and don't look back. They seem to be the most available anyway. If you want a thicker brass for jacketed rounds, I would look at FC because they are quite thick.
beeser

Post by beeser »

oldcaster wrote:Starline asked me to respond on their site with what I knew and after writing an essay of a couple thousand words, it disappeared when I clicked on send and I didn't copy it first because I didn't expect that result. I then sent a short note as to what happened and got no response. I doubt seriously if I will do that again. As far as brass is concerned, use CBC or Remington and don't look back. They seem to be the most available anyway. If you want a thicker brass for jacketed rounds, I would look at FC because they are quite thick.
Starline asked me for a response as well but when it came time to get a progress report from them they disappeared. I'll try to locate the brass you mentioned for comparison. So far, the Magtech brass has improved things.

Edit: After searching for CBC brass it appears that it's sold under the Magtech name. Correct?
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

That is correct but I think if you find Remington, it will work for you as well.
dmw6455

Post by dmw6455 »

Just curious what sizing dies people are using that may reduce the size of Remington brass a little. My Redding sizing die will not allow the Hornady XTP .32 acp 60 gr to work even after just one firing in my Pardini .32 acp. I have ordered a Hornady sizing die to see if that works better.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Do you guys reloading the .32acp wanting to use the XTP's need a different sized brass for your needs compared to the standard .32acp spec's ?

Another question would be how many different dimensions would .32acp reloaders need to accomplish what they are looking for ?

Starline will probably not put out 2 or 3 different lots of brass to fulfill everyones needs, it costs money compared to the return.

I am not here to argue but from everything I read about the .32acp there is some variable in bullet sizes for accuracy.

You may just shoot yourself in the foot trying to get Starline to run a lot of what you want cause it may not be worth it to them in the long run.

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
beeser

Post by beeser »

C. Perkins wrote:Do you guys reloading the .32acp wanting to use the XTP's need a different sized brass for your needs compared to the standard .32acp spec's ?

Another question would be how many different dimensions would .32acp reloaders need to accomplish what they are looking for ?

Starline will probably not put out 2 or 3 different lots of brass to fulfill everyones needs, it costs money compared to the return.

I am not here to argue but from everything I read about the .32acp there is some variable in bullet sizes for accuracy.

You may just shoot yourself in the foot trying to get Starline to run a lot of what you want cause it may not be worth it to them in the long run.

Clarence
Good point Clarence. I think everyone accepts the fact they will have to size/expand the case as needed. The real problem in my opinion is the case wall thickness that some manufacturers use. Apparently the thinner wall Remington and Magtech allow more flexibility, at least loading .32 ACP. The Fiocchi brass that I had problems with is about .002" thicker. Without some feedback from Starline it's anyone's guess what they'll do.