New CMP Rules: How Are They Working?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Orpanaut

New CMP Rules: How Are They Working?

Post by Orpanaut »

What has been happening at CMP matches since the new rules came into effect? The new rules are (in my own words):

6.3.2: Your 1911 can have lots of previously banned modifications.

6.3.4: You can shoot a "service pistol" that isn't a 1911 or an M9.

6.6.2: You can use any safe ammo as long as the bullet is jacketed.

These are some fairly radical changes and I'm curious about the impact that they're having. For instance, is letting shooters use pistols and ammo that aren't narrowly tailored to CMP rules increasing participation, or is match turnout down because the old shooters dislike the new rules and are staying away?

Are the scores up? I'd expect many 1911 shooters to pick up a couple of points per target just by switching from 230 gr RN bullets to lighter 185 gr JHP or JSWC loads. Even with the Beretta, it should be easier to find a good long line load when not limited to 115 or 124 gr RN bullets.

Is anyone winning matches, or at least getting leg points, with something other than a 1911 or an M9?

And are match officials having a hard time keeping track of what is and isn't legal under the new rules?
shaky hands

Re: New CMP Rules: How Are They Working?

Post by shaky hands »

So beavertail grip safety is now legal. Is everyone going to replace the old style now?
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

your whole wad gun is legal, if it has iron sights, as is glocks and about 60 other guns and you can shoot most any load long as its a fmj. whole program is a farce now imo, they should have started a new class and not scraped the old requirements, it degrades the ones that did it before. imo
sobakavitch

Post by sobakavitch »

ABC
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murph

Post by Murph »

I did not have a CMP "legal" gun under the old rules. This year, I broke out a 100% stock Springfield Range Officer, that I paid $600 for. At the regional a couple weeks ago, shot well enough to get 6 points. Kinda cool I was able to use an affordable gun that I already owned, and try out the CMP match. Now I'm looking forward to shooting 4 more matches and trying to make distinguished this year with a bone stock affordable gun. This is a carry gun that helped bridge the gap to try a CMP match.

I think my situation, as a relatively new shooter, is a good example of how the new rules brought in a new competitor. After shooting matches this year I bet I'll be shooting hardball type matches and looking for more CMP events. The only time I ever shot a CMP match was once last year when they needed another shooter to have enough to award points, so I borrowed someone's ball gun. I didn't have one legal so the CMP stuff before now was not an option really. Now, I just take the gun I carry and jump into the match. I like the new rules.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

To become distinguished you need at least one leg with 8 or more points. Not many matches these days sport enough shooters to make it realistic to win that many points. May be the rule change will attract more people.
Murph

Post by Murph »

shaky hands wrote:To become distinguished you need at least one leg with 8 or more points. Not many matches these days sport enough shooters to make it realistic to win that many points. May be the rule change will attract more people.
I did not know that, so thanks for posting. I'll have to try and get my 8 out at Canton or Perry. I'll have some chances out there. Still motivated to do so with a stock gun.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Yes, Camp Perry is where you go to for the long leg(g).
sobakavitch

Post by sobakavitch »

ABC
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

May be. But you need at least 16 non-distinguished competitors for the 8-point leg to be awarded and you have to beat all of them. A second place would only do if there are at least 36 non-distinguished shooters. I have never shot a match on the East Coast but I envy you if your matches are that popular.
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

How are the new rules working?

I believe that the Creedmoor games had 2x the number of pistol competitors as last year. I think the non distinguished count was over 50. In addition over 60 people shot the 22 distinguished match.

Hard legs.

Hard legs have been available for service pistol at several east coast matches this year. These include Atlantic fleet match, All Navy (East) match, Creedmoor Games match. And it's only June.

I'm guessing that the Va state championship at the end of June will have a hard leg, but I might be overly optimistic.
sobakavitch

Post by sobakavitch »

ABC
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

Darn. I thought there would still be time to shoot at least part of one of the 2700's.