Case bulge and Pardini GT 9-6

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

HamidZahedi

Case bulge and Pardini GT 9-6

Post by HamidZahedi »

I have been experiencing problem with the GT 9-6 only when I was firing my reloads. I found out it was because some of the brass I picked up at the range came from guns that did not have a supported chamber. Does anyone know how to get rid of the bulge at the bottom of the case. I have been unable to get rid of the bulge in regular resizing. I called Hornady and they said there is no bulge buster die for the 9mm since the 9mm is not a straight wall case. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
HRZ
Rover

Re: Case bulge and Pardini GT 9-6

Post by Rover »

Throw it away. 9mm brass is so common that it's not worth messing with.
Gort

Post by Gort »

If money is no object, the casepro does tapered cases and is available for the 9mm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzNtBLAQn28
Gort
dragon

Post by dragon »

I could be wrong, but am thinking that the CasePro is no longer made. It was expensive.

Lee makes a push-through die for the 9mm case. Check their website.

I don't have problems with sizing cases almost to the bottom. Simply grind off some of the bottom of the resize die up to the point where the carbide insert is.
rmca

Post by rmca »

HamidZahedi wrote:I have been unable to get rid of the bulge in regular resizing.
If the cases are that bad throw them away.
Who knows how messed up the prior load was to make that damage.

It's simply not worth damaging your pardini over a couple of picked up brass.

Hope this helps
Gort

Post by Gort »

The vast majority of brass (9mm and .40) that are bulged, were fired in firearms with unsupported and or large chambers. Such as Glocks and Sub-machine guns. New factory ammunition will bulge in these types of firearms. I also toss them for scrap.
Gort
Murph

Post by Murph »

Lee factory sizing die
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

HamidZahedi,

I do not reload for the 9mm cartridge......yet. There is a specially designed and very affordable die that may be the solution to your

problem. It is offered by EGW, which stands for Evolution Gun Works. To find out more about it:

1.) Go to: "www.egwguns.com".

2.) At the bottom of the first screen, find and click on: "Undersized Reloading Dies".

3.) At the bottom of the next screen, find and click on: "Undersize Reloading Die, 9mm Luger".

4.) You'll now be able to read a description of this die. Do note that this one is VERY DIFFERENT than the Lee Factory Sizing Die that

"Murph" had suggested. This item may be your best option. If you try one, please let us all know how it worked out for you on this

forum.
HamidZahedi

Post by HamidZahedi »

Thank you one and all. I am going on vacation. On my return I shall try some of the suggestions and will post results.

Thank you again.
HRZ
Rover

Post by Rover »

Start at the cheapest solution (throw them away) and work up.
HamidZahedi

Post by HamidZahedi »

Mr.Alexander and all others who want to know,

Before going on vacation I ordered an undersized 9mm carbide sizing die from EGW. I also borowed a 9mm Lee factory crimp die from a friend. To cut a long story short, it does not eliminate bulge but alleviates it somewhat. If the casing was fired from a supported chamber then using the aforementioned dies is useful. On the other hand if the casing was fired in an unsupported chamber like a Glock, then all theses dies do is alleviate but not eliminate the bulge. The product bulge buster made by Lee comes in most calibers except 9mm. I did call Lee and ask why they did not make it in 9mm. They said because the shell casing is not straight walled it can not be fixed by simply passing it through any of their dies. Incidentally, the undersized die shipped by EGW is also made by Lee. I told them about my findings and they concurred.

My conclusion is to buy fresh brass use them exclusively for the Pardini and Segregate them. Since Pardini has a supported chamber then using the above dies works in most but not all cases. If I make hot load then the bulge is not fixable.
HRZ
JimPGov

Post by JimPGov »

CASEPRO 100 IS STILL BEING MADE. I JUST BOUGHT ONE IN 9MM & .45. IT WORKS WONDERS. JP
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Problem- cases fired in a Glock pistol. Solution- throw them away. We throw away every case fired in Glock pistols that are .45 acp for this same reason.
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

HamidZahedi,

Thank you for the report. Was really hoping that the 9mm Undersized Reloading Die from EGW would be the solution to your problem.

On their website, mention was even made of using this product on brass that had been fired in Glock pistols! Your idea about

dedicating new brass cases exclusively for use in the Pardini sounds like a good one. Yes, an extra step, but may be worth

doing. Have one more suggestion. Do you check your reloaded ammo in a cartridge case gauge? I currently reload for .38 Special

and .45ACP. Have such gauges from MidwayUSA. Always do use them on both calibers without fail. Dillon Precision Products also

offers these tools for a variety of calibers. Around $16.00 each. From their website, "Dillon handgun case gauges allow you to check

your handgun ammunition to ensure it will fit a minimum sized chamber. Made of stainless steel for long life". As stated earlier, have

no experience reloading for 9mm, so I am not familiar with the bulge on the cases that are being encountered. Instead of ordering a

gauge online, perhaps it would be best to call them first. Explain the issue in detail to one of their techs. Then see if one of these

items would be of any real benefit to you before purchasing one. Is it worth a shot?
HamidZahedi

Post by HamidZahedi »

mr alexander,

Yes, I do check the round with a Wilson case length gauge. If it doe not go through it will not cycle in the Pardini. Rounds that do not cycle in the Pardini will have no problem in the CZ75B or the browning Hi power or for that matter any Glock. Even when I shoot 45ACP the Pardini will not "eat" any round. It has to be fairly perfect. But then it is very accurate. I guess that is the difference between combat guns and bullseye guns.

I called EGW and told them about my situation. They said the die should work in 90% of situation but in certain cases it will not be sufficient like a gun with a tight fitting chamber. They said I should return the die for merchandise credit. I am sure I will find something useful there.
HRZ
dragon

Post by dragon »

The Lee sizing die being used for 9mm cases is the die for 9 Makarov. My buddy uses this, and he says that it works.

My sizing die with the bottom ground off at an angle up to the carbide sizing insert works on all cases, even Glock-fired brass, if you use some case lube. I have resized this way for years with no problems. Occasionally I get a bulged case that won't resize, but this is the only time that I would discard a piece of brass.

I am still looking for feedback on accurate load recipes. ( or is anyone looking to buy a GT9? )
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

HamidZahedi wrote:mr alexander,
I called EGW and told them about my situation. They said the die should work in 90% of situation but in certain cases it will not be sufficient like a gun with a tight fitting chamber. They said I should return the die for merchandise credit. I am sure I will find something useful there.
HamidZahedi,

Looks like EGW is a great company to do business with! Thanks again for your report.