Camp Perry New Huts

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

gravely

Camp Perry New Huts

Post by gravely »

Can anyone tell me what to expect about the new huts at Camp Perry? I will be attending for the first time this year and have heard that the old huts (WWII) were worse than a Turkish prison cell. Do the new huts have A/C?

thanks
-archer
asheville, nc
john bickar

Re: Camp Perry New Huts

Post by john bickar »

gravely wrote:the old huts (WWII) were worse than a Turkish prison
I don't know about that, but you definitely could see a grown man naked in those old latrines.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

I enjoyed my time in huts much more than Turkish prisons.

New huts are the same size and style. The biggest difference is they have HVAC so you can leave the air conditioner at home. You still need to bring sheets, tables, chairs, rug, window covering etc.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

The huts are what you make them.
Some people bring rugs, window curtains, extra cleaning equipment, trunk, wooden boards to place under the cots, a desk and lamp, a TV with DVR's, clock radio, etc.

I have seen some huts so nice, I might consider long term occupancy.

It's a lot better than some camping sites I have stayed at.

No matter what, it will be something you will be talking about for the rest of your life.

Of course if you are someone who can only be happy in a 5 star hotel, stay home.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't know what you're worried about.

The last time I was there was in the late 80's. The hut was somewhat barracks-like, but perfectly comfortable. I've paid for worse motel rooms.

Of course, the OLD huts were a nightmare, but I hope they're gone by now. I was assigned a room-mate who turned into a good friend (plus he fixed my gun).

The guys from Arizona buddy and and rent a condo (with a kitchen). The food wasn't horrible (to an ex-Marine) at Perry, either.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Plus, the new huts are above the flood plain, but still wise to bring boots (tall!) for the surrounding marsh that sometimes prevails.
See you there!
John
wv109323

Post by wv109323 »

I asked the same question on another forum. The response was the huts had AC. You still need bedding and all others things as before. Bath houses are as before.
Froneck

Post by Froneck »

I was one of the lucky guys that got a New Hut last year at Camp Perry. They are much better than the Old huts but then anything is better than those old nuts.
They DO have AC and it works very good, walls are insulated so combined you can freeze inside on the Hottest day if you set the thermostat low The floors are new and flat, No cracks yet.
The new huts are bigger, not much but the added square feet is noticeable. In addition a metal locker for each new bed is also supplied to store your gear. However that's it, you will have to bring bedding, rug and a chair.
I'm told all the old hut have been taken down and only 101 new hut built for this years competition. I called on the day they came available, all were taken and the option to get an old hut was not offered.
Again stupid thinking! Some of those old hut were re-worked and in fair condition, why remove all the hut and only replace a few? Until more new huts can be built they should have left a few old huts in fair condition. An old hut is better than No Hut!
I plan to walk commercial row and complain to all the venders that the Condo in town I had to rent took all the money I would have spent on the row :)
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Froneck wrote:I was one of the lucky guys that got a New Hut last year at Camp Perry. They are much better than the Old huts but then anything is better than those old nuts.
They DO have AC and it works very good, walls are insulated so combined you can freeze inside on the Hottest day if you set the thermostat low The floors are new and flat, No cracks yet.
The new huts are bigger, not much but the added square feet is noticeable. In addition a metal locker for each new bed is also supplied to store your gear. However that's it, you will have to bring bedding, rug and a chair.
I'm told all the old hut have been taken down and only 101 new hut built for this years competition. I called on the day they came available, all were taken and the option to get an old hut was not offered.
Again stupid thinking! Some of those old hut were re-worked and in fair condition, why remove all the hut and only replace a few? Until more new huts can be built they should have left a few old huts in fair condition. An old hut is better than No Hut!
I plan to walk commercial row and complain to all the venders that the Condo in town I had to rent took all the money I would have spent on the row :)

In my opinion, the Camp Perry development has been a comedy of errors. Clearly government driven, and not competitor responsive.
gravely

Post by gravely »

This is helpful info to a newbie...thanks to all who responded.
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

this is what i know about the hutments...

east of Niagara (the main entry road between Harmon and Ariel) was a bunch of rotten, falling in on themselves Double Letter huts. AA001, GG012 etc. the are ALL GONE...

on the west side of the road many of the older huts (that were in relatively decent condition) we resided, rewindowed and rewired to two 20amp circuits. there were a few MORE of the older huts that were in similar condition to the Double Letter huts. they and the "temporary" modular housing (bounded by Donaghey, Davey and Davis) were raised for the new 300-man barracks and the new huts that are being built...

the modulars had 2 twin beds, AC and their own "private" baths. they also had their own crop of mold and rot in the sub-flooring. they were all removed before the National Matches last year...
wv109323

Post by wv109323 »

I stayed in the new huts in 2015. These huts are 2 feet wider than the old ones,so there is some room that can be used as common area in the middle for cleaning guns or a common table. Beds are twin size with a vinyl covering over the mattress. There is a "school locker" for each bed. I suggest clothes hangers to take advantage of the lockers and the shelf above the bed. If desired you can put a lock on the locker to secure contents.
The AC is great. Very cold and quiet. Windows have blinds.
A rug at your bedside would be a nice addition so take one.
Huts are up off the ground so floor will not be wet when it rains.
A clothes line and a way to secure it to the walls is needed to dry bath towels and wet clothing if you shoot in the rain.
Each bed has one electrical outlet. You may need a fanning strip for more plug ins.
All in all very nice to stay in.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

wv109323 wrote: there is some room that can be used as common area in the middle for cleaning guns or a common table.
Guns should not be cleaned in the living area.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

shaky hands wrote:
wv109323 wrote: there is some room that can be used as common area in the middle for cleaning guns or a common table.
Guns should not be cleaned in the living area.

I don't have a problem with cleaning guns in the living area. At Camp Perry there don't seem to be many other options.

It isn't like people are cooking and eating in the huts.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Isabel1130 wrote:It isn't like people are cooking and eating in the huts.
Sorry, this view is mistaken. Digestion of lead is the least of concerns for adults (though children, contrary to adults, do absorb lead very well through their digestive tracts), but inhalation is much more dangerous.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

shaky hands wrote:
Isabel1130 wrote:It isn't like people are cooking and eating in the huts.
Sorry, this view is mistaken. Digestion of lead is the least of concerns for adults (though children, contrary to adults, do absorb lead very well through their digestive tracts), but inhalation is much more dangerous.

Lead from gun residue is not a particularly easy way to get lead into your system since it doesn't become airborne.

Washing your hands is about as effective a precaution as anyone needs when you are cleaning guns, and reloading ammo.

Shooting in a poorly ventilated indoor range is a far bigger contributor to blood lead levels, and the leaded gasoline exhaust in the 70's gave most people in the U.S, far higher average blood lead levels than almost any shooter has today.

The government (EPA) has been pushing the anti lead hysteria for mostly political reasons.

They want to use the hyped dangers of lead, to first ban lead bullets, and primers containing lead, hopefully with the end game of raising the price of ammo to the point that shooting will become unaffordable.

It is a highly politicized scare tactic.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Lead can get airborne during cleaning when you use bronze brushes for the bore (who doesn't?) or toothbrushes for the frame/slide (some do). This dust will remain in the area where you clean guns and get airborne again easily. Another way to absorb lead is through the skin in conjunction with the solvent contacting it (can happen anywhere).

The unsafe blood lead levels are not determined by EPA, but by the medical profession. Doctors hardly derive any profit from changing the standards: they don't sell you any chelation therapy until you are really lead-poisoned. It is more of a question of them not really knowing "safe" blood lead levels, so they go by the average concentration across the population, which has been steadily going down over the last several decades. Hence, the change in the standards. No conspiracy here. What they do know is that lead serves no purpose in the body. On the other hand, there are studies that show levels as low as 20 mcg/dL correlate with decreased cognitive abilities, albeit small. Shooters easily exceed 20 mcg/dL.

You might choose to ignore the dangers of lead, but I would advise anyone sharing a hut with me to clean guns outside.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

shaky hands wrote:Lead can get airborne during cleaning when you use bronze brushes for the bore (who doesn't?) or toothbrushes for the frame/slide (some do). This dust will remain in the area where you clean guns and get airborne again easily. Another way to absorb lead is through the skin in conjunction with the solvent contacting it (can happen anywhere).

You might choose to ignore the dangers of lead, but I would advise anyone sharing a hut with me to clean guns outside."

There are degrees of risk in everything. This is an extremely small one in the grand scheme of things.

Doctors are not independent researchers. They get their info about lead from the government financed research just like everyone else.

There is no money to be made in medicine, by telling people "you are fine" don't worry. Doctors are not disinterested or educated arbiters of degrees of risk.

They will ,however, be happy to poison you themselves to treat non metastic cancer because the studies say it is recommended just to "be safe" ( and they get paid for it)

I have had two doctors and three environmental engineers tell me that the dangers of lead have been over hyped.

If you don't want people cleaning guns in your hut, that is fine, your choice, but if it is raining, I guess the next choice is your car.... No improvement there.... And the tiny amounts of lead that become airborne from cleaning don't remain that way for long.

I would suggest letting adults decide for themselves if the risk is one worth taking.
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

If you plan to stay in the huts or Barracks, I can just about guarantee that you will be staying somewhere where someone has cleaned a gun at some point.

Lead is a concern, but lead from cleaning guns, not so much. As for phosphor brushes, I personally use them with copious amounts of solvent. I don't think much lead is getting airborne. But then again, I clean guns in the kitchen and computer room at home. I don't have a special gun cleaning clean room.
gravely

Post by gravely »

I know a little bit about lead exposure. I have lived in a 1920's house and have burned the lead paint off all my exterior woodwork (brick house) and windows and I melt lead and cast thousands of bullets each year. I never wore a mask while burning/scraping the lead based paint over a 15 year period. Out of concern for my lead exposure, I have had my blood lead level tested by my GP three times over the last 10 years and it has always been in the low-normal range. However, I am careful to wash my hands after handling lead, reloading, shooting, etc and I do not shoot in indoor ranges. I think indoor ranges are a true lead hazard.

By the way, the new huts were great. My next experience will be improved by bringing a small table, reading light, etc. The only downside was having to walk to the community bathroom in the mud at night. Having cookouts with fellow shooters was a blast.

-archer