Best .22 conversion to buy?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

TAJ45

Best .22 conversion to buy?

Post by TAJ45 »

I'm wanting to buy once and cry once and am asking what is the best conversion to acquire. Also why one is better in your opinion and which one(s) to avoid. I'll be shooting a dot and wgt does not bother me yet.

I appreciate the time you guys will take to advise.

Tom
NRA Life '76
siordian1

Re: Best .22 conversion to buy?

Post by siordian1 »

I have have both the Marvel and the new Nelson. I vote Nelson, it seems to me to be a better made system. Just as accurate if not more so. Their customer service is first rate.
BEA

Post by BEA »

The Nelson looks to be a quality product. I had the opportunity to examine one at the SHOT Show. The Nelsons are very nice people. However, I opted for the Marvel for two reasons. First and foremost, I wanted a long slide version and Nelson does not make one. I made this choice because I wanted to shoot open sights and wanted the extra radius and weight. Secondly, Marvel provides a test group which may not be all that important to many. What I found to be the case after receiving my long slide model is that it is still too light and the recoil was pretty squirrelly, so I made a weight to go on the section of barrel that protrudes out the front of the slide. This helped some but not enough. So, I mounted an UltraDot on it and it handles fine and shoots very good. So, my plan to shoot opens is down the drain, but I am still very happy with the Marvel. This may be a plus for the Nelson because it has a steel open sight rib on the top which would likely make it better balanced for my taste. It balances more like a 1911 45 I think. But if you are going to put a scope on your choice, light weight will not be an issue. My Marvel malfunctioned a lot at first, but once I changed from a 9 lb recoil spring to a 8 lb, it has functioned flawlessly. I talked to Marvel about this and they sent the new spring out to me very quickly at no charge. I have not put it in a rest yet, and may at some point, but I can say that is shoots right on call. I do not know what is truly the difference between the two designs, but I imagine you will be happy with your choice, whichever that might be.
Eurastus

Post by Eurastus »

I shoot a Nelson conversion kit.

Excellent design, quality, weight, and accuracy.

I can recommend them with no reservations.
dronning

Post by dronning »

siordian1 wrote:I have have both the Marvel and the new Nelson. I vote Nelson, it seems to me to be a better made system. Just as accurate if not more so. Their customer service is first rate.
+1 same here I also have both a Marvel and a Nelson I'd go with the Nelson.
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I have two of the Marvel Precisions.

One has been absolutely flawless, and on the other, I have broken three firing pins in the last four years.

All of the breaks happened in matches. One at Camp Perry, one at a big regional, and one during the Sectional. (Down 50 points with a double alabi) Not something that gives you confidence in the reliability.

If I had a do over, I think I would have gone with the Nelsons.
BEA

Post by BEA »

I am curious. Lots of people say the Nelson is better, or that it incorporates new design features, but what exactly are they? Exactly why is it better?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

BEA wrote:I am curious. Lots of people say the Nelson is better, or that it incorporates new design features, but what exactly are they? Exactly why is it better?
As I understand it, it has a steel shroud, so it more closely mimics the weight of a real 1911, the Marvel Precision is aluminum and quite light.

Also the firing pin is totally different, and I believe less subject to breakage.

Those are two things. There may be a few others.
BEA

Post by BEA »

It also has a recoil buffer in it. I am not aware of the firing pin issue, but the Nelson's did tell me that their unit is dry fire safe. Is it supposed to be safe to dry fire a Marvel?
dronning

Post by dronning »

Isabel1130 wrote:
BEA wrote:I am curious. Lots of people say the Nelson is better, or that it incorporates new design features, but what exactly are they? Exactly why is it better?
As I understand it, it has a steel shroud, so it more closely mimics the weight of a real 1911, the Marvel Precision is aluminum and quite light.

Also the firing pin is totally different, and I believe less subject to breakage.

Those are two things. There may be a few others.
The slide stop & pin are different and the magazines have been completely redesigned.

The machine work is being done by McMillan Machine Co (of McMillan Rifle fame) and is top notch.

As mentioned by Isabel1130 the steel Sight/Optic rail more closely approximates 1911 weight and is a big reason I prefer shooting the Nelson over the Marvel.

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
TAJ45

Post by TAJ45 »

Larry at Nelson returned my call today and has my name on the end of month, maybe early May delivery list.

I considered a Chambers, mentally allowing another couple of hundred but when I found out it was mid teen$.........out of my range. I just can't afford to cry that much....

Thanks Everyone for your input. Really looking fwd to getting it set up and practicing for Perry.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

I have a STI Spartan 1911 9 mm, a rather decent gun with good frame-to-slide fit. A trigger job made it into a nice CF gun. I am entertaining the thought of mounting a conversion kit on its frame. However, some kits are known not to work with the 9 mm extractor. I have heard that Nelson works with 9 mm frames. Can anyone confirm?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

shaky hands wrote:I have a STI Spartan 1911 9 mm, a rather decent gun with good frame-to-slide fit. A trigger job made it into a nice CF gun. I am entertaining the thought of mounting a conversion kit on its frame. However, some kits are known not to work with the 9 mm extractor. I have heard that Nelson works with 9 mm frames. Can anyone confirm?

do you mean the ejector? I thought the extractor was part of the slide? Best bet is to call and ask. I asked about the firing pins, and received a very prompt response.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Yes, ejector, my bad. It is bent inward slightly more than the ejector on a .45 and so requires a wider notch in the slide for the slide to go over the ejector. I should probably email Nelson.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

shaky hands wrote:Yes, ejector, my bad. It is bent inward slightly more than the ejector on a .45 and so requires a wider notch in the slide for the slide to go over the ejector. I should probably email Nelson.

It took me six months to figure out that the extractor was different on a 1911 9mm. Couldn't figure out why the darn thing didn't just slide right out of the gun..... :-)

Now I am on to it's tricky ways.......
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I have a Marvel Unit 1 for sale in the Buy/Sell Section, a very good deal.
jabberwo

Post by jabberwo »

Sorry to say but with my experience don't go for the Marvel unless you plan on a dedicated lower. I can not get it to function with my wad gun lower which was the whole dang reason for getting it.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Jabberwo;
I have had my marvel unit on 3 different frames,
Auto Ordnace series 80, Springfield Armory A1 NM and a Colt series 80.
All with no modifications.
I have heard some people have had problems, but am sure a good gunsmith can fit the unit.

The unit I was selling, was sold, and the buyer took it to the range and had no problem.

Did you discuss the problem with Marvel.

I understand a number of frames are a problem.
Especially the Taurus, Star and Para.
tenx9

Post by tenx9 »

Most of the conversions are quality and are accurate. I ran into a problem with both my .38 spec and .45 wad guns. Being that these pistols were done years ago, the rails are peened for a tight fit. These conversions will not go on neither of these pistols. I had to send a Nelson back. Then he didn't give me all my money back stating that the conversion wasn't NEW anymore. After dealing with many firearms companies over the last 30+ years, I thought this was a ridiculous position, since I couldn't get it on the frame more than an inch. Simply stated, I or those in my club wont be dealing with Mr. Nelson anymore. Very poor customer service, since no where on his web site was this addressed. Sometimes when a problem cannot be averted you take the high road, after all it is your business. Anyway be aware of previously accururized 1911 pistols.
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

I've always considered that any part that I marked was not in "new" condition. But to each his own.

I spoke with the Nelson's at Camp Perry last week and fully plan to buy one of their units next month. I liked the feel of the conversion, the weight, and smoothness. I would prefer metal magazines, but, I can deal with the ones they sell.

Mike Davis