Best .22 conversion to buy?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Isabel1130

Re: Best .22 conversion to buy?

Post by Isabel1130 »

tenx9 wrote:Most of the conversions are quality and are accurate. I ran into a problem with both my .38 spec and .45 wad guns. Being that these pistols were done years ago, the rails are peened for a tight fit. These conversions will not go on neither of these pistols. I had to send a Nelson back. Then he didn't give me all my money back stating that the conversion wasn't NEW anymore. After dealing with many firearms companies over the last 30+ years, I thought this was a ridiculous position, since I couldn't get it on the frame more than an inch. Simply stated, I or those in my club wont be dealing with Mr. Nelson anymore. Very poor customer service, since no where on his web site was this addressed. Sometimes when a problem cannot be averted you take the high road, after all it is your business. Anyway be aware of previously accururized 1911 pistols.
I think the solution would have been to take the lower to a gunsmith and hammer on the rails a little. Nothing wrong with the unit.
PASA008

Post by PASA008 »

I can agree with all the praise of the Neslon unit. I bought one several months ago, with the rail top, and put a Burris FastfireIII on it. It is everything they say it is. I added several magazines, (now 4) and extra barrel wrench and magazine loader pin. I am having a change of heart as I decided I don't want to reduce the trigger on Gold Cup down to 2 1/2 lbs. It wouldn't work for me when in .45 mode.

I plan to continue to shooting my IZH 35M at this time.

I have my Nelson FOR SALE, with 4 mags and extra wrench and loader tool for $450 plus shipping. (I have a FFL friend that can ship at much lower cost).

If any of you are interested Contact me at rrwand@comcast.net, or with a PM on the S&W Forum under H Richard.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

"I have my Nelson FOR SALE, with 4 mags and extra wrench and loader tool for $450 plus shipping. (I have a FFL friend that can ship at much lower cost)."

This should not require an FFL. Conversion units without the lower frame, can be mailed.
Nelson Custom Guns

Post by Nelson Custom Guns »

tenx9 wrote:Most of the conversions are quality and are accurate. I ran into a problem with both my .38 spec and .45 wad guns. Being that these pistols were done years ago, the rails are peened for a tight fit. These conversions will not go on neither of these pistols. I had to send a Nelson back. Then he didn't give me all my money back stating that the conversion wasn't NEW anymore. After dealing with many firearms companies over the last 30+ years, I thought this was a ridiculous position, since I couldn't get it on the frame more than an inch. Simply stated, I or those in my club wont be dealing with Mr. Nelson anymore. Very poor customer service, since no where on his web site was this addressed. Sometimes when a problem cannot be averted you take the high road, after all it is your business. Anyway be aware of previously accururized 1911 pistols.

tenex9,

We're sorry you feel you were not treated fairly.

On the warranty card that was sent with your conversion it says: "A $10 handling charge must be included with the returned merchandise..." We have worked hard to maintain a reputation of taking care of our customers. Had you raised this objection when we spoke on the phone, I would have worked with you. Please give me a call or email so we can make arrangements to mail you a refund.

I hope that in the future, if you were to purchase another frame that has not been modified, you would still consider our conversion as an option.

Larry
480-699-8040
Nelson Custom Guns

Post by Nelson Custom Guns »

PASA008 wrote:I can agree with all the praise of the Neslon unit. I bought one several months ago, with the rail top, and put a Burris FastfireIII on it. It is everything they say it is. I added several magazines, (now 4) and extra barrel wrench and magazine loader pin. I am having a change of heart as I decided I don't want to reduce the trigger on Gold Cup down to 2 1/2 lbs. It wouldn't work for me when in .45 mode.

I plan to continue to shooting my IZH 35M at this time.

I have my Nelson FOR SALE, with 4 mags and extra wrench and loader tool for $450 plus shipping. (I have a FFL friend that can ship at much lower cost).

If any of you are interested Contact me at rrwand@comcast.net, or with a PM on the S&W Forum under H Richard.

PASA008,

Sorry to hear that you're moving away from 1911 conversions.

FYI - Let your purchaser know that our warranty is transferable. If they have any issues or problems they can give us a call and we'll take care of them.

Larry
tenx9

Post by tenx9 »

I'm so glad we have so many gunsmiths on here, LOL!! Hammer on the rails a little bit?? And risk sacrificing the accuracy of my c/f pistols, by loosening the slide? One pistol is an original Jim Clark longslide (made by Mr Clark himself) and the other is a custom .38 longslide built by Floyd Aikman, who unfortunately has passed. SO!! hammering the rails a little bit isn't an option. And Mr. Nelson, I'll take the high road, with no comment.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

tenx9 wrote:I'm so glad we have so many gunsmiths on here, LOL!! Hammer on the rails a little bit?? And risk sacrificing the accuracy of my c/f pistols, by loosening the slide? One pistol is an original Jim Clark longslide (made by Mr Clark himself) and the other is a custom .38 longslide built by Floyd Aikman, who unfortunately has passed. SO!! hammering the rails a little bit isn't an option. And Mr. Nelson, I'll take the high road, with no comment.

Competent gunsmiths these days don't *accurize* guns by squeezing the slide onto the rails. There are some very good reasons for this.
dronning

Post by dronning »

tenx9 wrote:I'm so glad we have so many gunsmiths on here, LOL!! Hammer on the rails a little bit?? And risk sacrificing the accuracy of my c/f pistols, by loosening the slide? One pistol is an original Jim Clark longslide (made by Mr Clark himself) and the other is a custom .38 longslide built by Floyd Aikman, who unfortunately has passed. SO!! hammering the rails a little bit isn't an option. And Mr. Nelson, I'll take the high road, with no comment.
I have a friend that had the same problem with a custom gun his lower rails were too wide and the conversion rubbed. Simple solution, open the rails on the conversion. The slide on the conversion has less (if anything) to do with it's accuracy since the barrel is locked into the lower with the "guide rod". Opening them up a little so they fit on a non standard 1911 is not a big deal. Just don't over do it they should still be as tight as possible and still function.

- Dave

Tool that was used: Steel plates screwed into his vise jaws that stuck up about 1 inch above the jaws. He closed the jaws far enough for the slide to slip over it then opened the vise and put a tiny bit of pressure on the slide, took it off and tested until he got full free range of movement. I told him he to mic it before and after but he forgot to do that.

I'm sure this isn't recommended so try at your own risk and don't try it if there is a huge difference.
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
tenx9

Post by tenx9 »

Thanks Dave...........makes sense to do it on the conversion. Not for me however. I wanted to use it as a training tool for my c/f and .45 guns. As far as the other comment. I guess since the aforementioned pistolsmiths aren't with us any longer, I'll be sure to contact them when I get there. I'm sure they'll appreciate not be called competent.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

tenx9 wrote:Thanks Dave...........makes sense to do it on the conversion. Not for me however. I wanted to use it as a training tool for my c/f and .45 guns. As far as the other comment. I guess since the aforementioned pistolsmiths aren't with us any longer, I'll be sure to contact them when I get there. I'm sure they'll appreciate not be called competent.

The tools and the parts available now, mean that we don't have to use those old (poor) methods to accurize a gun.

You can now buy a custom gun that has a machined frame to slide fit.

Many gunsmiths were quite competent in their day, as were the medical doctors in the 1950's.
But that doesn't mean that we still want to use 1950's gun smithing anymore than we want to have a 1950's style brain surgery.

And those long dead gunsmiths probably don't need you defending their methods now. Most would appreciate that there are better ways to do what they did out of necessity.

I guess that was what was different about my father. He was always willing to learn a better way to do anything and didn't have any emotional investment in doing something the old way.

And yes, he was a great gunsmith within his area of expertise.
tenx9

Post by tenx9 »

LOL!! this will be my last comment as Isabel is very passionate on the subject. First, I am aware of todays CNC machining. Also older frames are probably softer than todays frames so you have to take care in adjusting them. My only comment that matters. other than your passion for Nelson Custom (I imagine???) is that not all conversions fit on all frames and as usual buyer beware. If you adjust the conversion, your on your own, whether you take it to a competent gunsmith or not. And IF there's small print read it carefully. Frankly, I'd rather shoot my GSP or Hammerli as I was trying to use it to train with. My .45 scores stink.
ric1911a1

Post by ric1911a1 »

I have 2 Nelsons. Zero problems with either of them.

One feature I really like is the steel shroud. I weighed my wad gun with a Clark base on the slide and an Aimpoint. The Nelson, on another frame with the scope base shroud and an Aimpoint, weighs 1/2 ounce more. No magazines in either gun. The open sight unit weighs within a ounce of my hardball gun.

The plastic magazines have not been a problem except when I slap them into the gun. The first round can move forward, thus causing a feed jam. I learned to seat it gently.

In my conversations and emails with Larry Nelson, he has been friendly, knowledgeable and cooperative.

I highly recommend them.

Ric Cammer