Hammerli Xesse Trigger Guard Broken

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Ttgoods

Hammerli Xesse Trigger Guard Broken

Post by Ttgoods »

Anyone have problems with breaking the trigger guard and how did you resolve the issue?
Trooperjake

Re: Hammerli Xesse Trigger Guard Broken

Post by Trooperjake »

Contact Larry's Guns in Maine, he handles the Xesse parts and accessories.
207-657-4559
Info@larrysguns.com
PFribley

Post by PFribley »

Occuring problem with the trailside. Get another guard . Solution.
youngerd

Post by youngerd »

Never had the issue with the trigger guard...guess there was a bad run in production. A new trigger guard is only 20.00. If you have a broken trigger guard, then stop shooting until you get a new one because the slide will hit the frame directly (very bad and could lead to a broken frame). A non broken trigger guard should have the protruding tip slide up and into place where the slide will hit it (by design). I put a dab of grease on that point and check it from time to time. As mentioned before Larry Carter is your contact.
ric1911a1

Post by ric1911a1 »

I just bought one of these for my son to use in our local Bullseye league. So far (he has used it one time) he is thrilled with it, and I am impressed with the gun.

What causes the trigger guard to break?

Ric
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

LDBennett at rimfirecentral.com covers this in Trailside threads.

One, for example: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... ?p=3915625
Ttgoods

Post by Ttgoods »

I sent the gun to Larry, seems that trigger gaurd to frame fit was not done properly at the factory.

Larmy is great and really stands behind the product he sells.
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

Dagnabbit! I just found mine broken after a weekend match and a CMP 22 EIC. The broken tab fell out after dis-assembly. Easy enough to replace the guard: ordered a new one from Larry's, drift out the pivot pin, clean/lube, reassemble. Any tips on which direction to drift the pin out, if it matters?

Other than that it's been as reliable as gravity with ammo that cycles it. I like how it has a lot of room for ejecting empty brass.

Edited to add: Larry's replied to my order with comments to check that the slide stop tang is fully supported by the frame to prevent movement and breakage. I've always had good experiences with the shop and hope to meet them someday at Camp Perry.
Ttgoods

Post by Ttgoods »

Very important

Edited to add: Larry's replied to my order with comments to check that the slide stop tang is fully supported by the frame to prevent movement and breakage. I've always had good experiences with the shop and hope to meet them someday at Camp Perry.

Right to left worked better for me and be careful not to drift out the trigger pin they look a like .......

You will need to order a couple of guards and with a light make sure there is no open area between the guard and the frame. I also deburred mine but I don't think it hurt of helped.

Also If you are hyper careful there is a way to make a buffer that will add life to a bad guard. I used .125 poly o ring belt material cut to less than 0.09 an inch uncompressed. anything greater than 0.093 will make the slide a challenge to remove. You put that little tiny cylinder in the recoil spring where the spring touches the frame. The guide rod tapps the buffer and it provides a tiny bit of buffering. If the Guard breaks again, there were some bad ones made last year, your buffer may keep the slide from hanging up on the frame for the rest of the match. However, if the guard breaks you will lose accuracy but you should be able to hold the 8 ring for the rest of the match if you can clean a target.

I loved that gun but went through 4 guards, 2 of which were replaced by Larry. Mine would break the guard at 200 rounds without to buffer 1000 rounds with the buffer. I understand they changed the metallurgy so new guards may be more durable.
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

I drifted the pin on mine right to left, just enough to remove the guard. Larry's included instructions on how to adjust the fit, but I found the tongue in the front of the guard made the adjustments challenging to get the tab against the frame or within recommended distance . I relieved some metal behind the tongue to keep the tongue from stopping the stop tab from flexing and contacting the frame, so now the tab can contact the frame and not be the stop for the slide.

If the tab breaks again, the next guard I buy will get the tongue cut off so the trigger guard looks like a 208 style guard.

The X-esse still gets me the highest scores than my Nelson Conversion, S&W M41 and Ruger MkIII Target.
Ttgoods

Post by Ttgoods »

That gun is crazy accurate and its crazy they don't fix the quality issues.

WALTER Umarex! Spend $50 more on the factory trigger guard, better grips and a barrel weight and people will pay $100 more for the Xesse.