Safety problem Smith and Wesson model 41

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

dryfire

Safety problem Smith and Wesson model 41

Post by dryfire »

I have this love hate relationship with my SW 41. This gun groups well for me, but often times when I am expecting the gun to go bang it does not because my grip is high in the web and the safety has been pushed up. This causes my attentional concentration on the dot to be disturbed. Now I have to think about something else, why isn't the gun going bang. I have heard that others have had this problem with the 41. This problem causes me to loose points in my bullseye matches. I do understand that there must be a functional safety on the gun so I can't make it less than functional. How have others who have had this problem solved it apart from selling the gun and getting another that does not have this problem.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why does the safety have to be functional if you never use it?
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Because thats the rule.
dryfire

SW 41 safety problem

Post by dryfire »

NRA rules for conventional pistol states:
3.4 .22 caliber pistol or revolver last sentence states, "All standard safety features of the gun must operate properly."
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

I am far far from a gunsmith but I would think there would be something that you could peen on the safety to give it more friction so it wouldn't go on so easy.

Scott
spence

Post by spence »

Wow. The safeties on both my 41's are so hard to move as to be completely useless. I couldn't accidentally engage one no matter what I did.

That's the perfect safety for a bullseye gun. Can't engage it even if you want to.

Maybe yours could be adjusted to act the same.

Spence
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

I sometimes have (had) the same problem with my 41. The solution, at least for me, was to check the safety was off AFTER I got my grip. The safety on mine is hard to move but I unintentionally hit it sometimes with the knuckle at the base of my thumb and flip it on and I wouldn't notice it or feel it go on. Just get in the habit of checking to make sure it's off with your non shooting hand after you pick up your 41 and get your grip. Once it's off you should be fine.

Kirmdog
m1963

Post by m1963 »

When I was still shooting Model 41's I had the same problem. My grip was so high on the gun that I would engage the safety right before a string of fire. Result- alibi after alibi. An old gunsmith provided me with a quick fix which stiffened up the safety enough that it would no longer engage just as a result of my grip. However, the safety remained fully functional.

One can find a good explanation of the fix, here:

(12th post down)

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=276931
Attachments
The instructions I was given state to remove the clip and bend it slightly downward.
The instructions I was given state to remove the clip and bend it slightly downward.
41thumbclip1.JPG (30.55 KiB) Viewed 5893 times
Last edited by m1963 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackh

Post by jackh »

I have a 41 with a safety that will not engage because the pin that is supposed to go against the sear and hold it in place, hits the end of the sear and cannot go past.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"That's the rule."

Damn, in 30 years I can't remember anyone checking it, but I have been considering buying a Walther GSP even though it is an "assault weapon" under NY State law.

The early model GSPs, from 1968 to 1977, had a manual safety catch on the left side of the frame. This feature was omitted in 1977 because it was an unnecessary feature on a competition pistol. (Wikipedia)
Last edited by Rover on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr alexander

Safety Problem Smith and Wesson Model 41

Post by mr alexander »

Rover,

For those of us who do not speak or understand the language, please

translate: "Hijo de puta culeros!" into English. I barely remember any of

the 2 years of Spanish I studied in high school, having graduated back in

1973. Do not know exactly what this means, but I suspect that

Mrs. McFadden would have slapped me for saying this out loud in class.

Muchas Gracias! (Many Thanks!).
spence

Post by spence »

Google Translate indicates that it involves canines, parents and the very, very last part of the GI tract.

spence
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't know where my response to you went the first time, but I removed the phrase and promised Mrs. McFadden would have bitch slapped you.

I don't know how it got there in the first place, but I suspect one of our moderators was in some kind of frenzy. Spence has the idea.

I first heard the phrase in Spain, referring to our President.
sobakavitch

Post by sobakavitch »

. . . .
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dryfire

Safety problems SW 41

Post by dryfire »

m1963, thanks for the suggestion. It worked. I shot a match today no alibis.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Glad to be of assistance.
bullseyeman

Model 41

Post by bullseyeman »

I had the same problem, but the solution is more simple, place your thumb in the same spot each time along with your grip. If you do that, the safety won't click on.
dryfire

Post by dryfire »

I am an advocate of whatever works for you. The answer is in the result.
jackh

Re:

Post by jackh »

jackh wrote:I have a 41 with a safety that will not engage because the pin that is supposed to go against the sear and hold it in place, hits the end of the sear and cannot go past.
Just reviewing old stuff here. I never got a comment or suggestion on this issue. It still has me stumped. Perhaps I should picture it for you, or send the gun to KC
kameljock

Re: Safety problem Smith and Wesson model 41

Post by kameljock »

I had the same problem with my 41. the safety has a small detent stamped into it. I removed it and judiciously
used a small pin punch to reset the detent. 6 months later it is still good.
be in the moment