Pardini 32 Cal ?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

DRB3224

Pardini 32 Cal ?

Post by DRB3224 »

Looking at the Pardini product information the Pardini HP is available for 2 cartridges in the US market: 32 ACP and 32 S&W.

Throughout their product information they mention 32 S&W and not 32 S&W Long.

So my thought is the Pardinis are chambered for the 32 S&W.

Am I correct or are the Pardinis actually chambered for the 32 S&W Long?

Thanks,

Glenn
j danielsson

Re: Pardini 32 Cal ?

Post by j danielsson »

Long.
BJohansen

Post by BJohansen »

.32 S&W long wadcutter only.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

Pardini offers two 32 caliber barrels, 32 ACP and 32 S&W Long. Same barrel, different chamber. 32 ACP will shoot in a 32 long barrel, but not vice versa.
hurt

Post by hurt »

The 32 ACP is not meant to be shot in the 32 S&W chamber and bolt face.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

hurt wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:29 pm The 32 ACP is not meant to be shot in the 32 S&W chamber and bolt face.
I agree, should have been more clear.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

I should clarify re: 32ACP in a 32long barrel. It will work. It's not advised because the it would be possible to chamber a 32long cartridge, which will not full chamber. However, it will ignite, blowout the side, and likely cause damage/injury.

I have a custom 32ACP barrel for my SP20, but purchased and modified a 32long Bolt to 32ACP specs (i.e. will not accept a 32long, different rim).
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

DRB3224 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:11 pm
Throughout their product information they mention 32 S&W and not 32 S&W Long.

So my thought is the Pardinis are chambered for the 32 S&W.
The Pardini .32 guns, European version (and the rest of the world, except the USA, that is) are chambered for the .32 S&W Long WC.

The USA-version .32 ACP have different chamber and different boltface.

About the .32 S&W: Written this way that usually refers to the short version of the .32 S&W long.
The .32 S&W (shorter case) will chamber in a .32 S&W Long chamber. Loaded with a round nose bullet it may work ok in the magazines too.
Much like firing .22 short in a .22 lr Chamber.

Maybe a custom Pardini could be had in .32 S&W (short)? Intended for round-nose bullets, similar to the ACP. One of the benefits of the .32 ACP is smaller case capasity. A .32 S&W (short) would have a case volume about perfect for the light target loads. And, it could use the same bolt face as the .32 S&W Long.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

A barrel chambered for the 32 S&W would allow a 32 S&W Long cartridge to partially chamber.

The bolt would be closed enough to allow the hammer to drop igniting the cartridge that is not fully chambered.

Result? A lot of pieces of metal flying about.

This is why Pardini have special machined bolts for the 32 ACP. The 32 S&W Long will not chamber properly.

Cheers,

Dave
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Serious considerations, there….
But, which moron would try to insert a .32 S&W Long cartridge in a .32 S&W (short) chamber? None of my club mates..
And, a high quality firearm should not allow a round to be fired when bolt is not fully closed.
I´m kind of intrigued by having a Pardini .32 barrel made for me by special order, chambered for the .32 S&W (short).
Or have a barrel only, and ream it for that cartridge myself. Problem is, changing a barrel of a Pardini .32 is very difficult.

Or, I could just fire .32 S&W (short) round nose cartridges in mye Pardini .32 S&W Long . The round nose bullet would have to take a short "jump" to reach the forcing cone/rifling, but not nesessarilly detrimental to accuracy.
The benfit would be increased bullet stability, and possibly accuracy, at extended ranges, at e.g. 50 yards.
The traditional wadcutters tend to yaw and spiral badly at extended ranges.
sparky

Post by sparky »

northpaw wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:47 am Serious considerations, there….
But, which moron would try to insert a .32 S&W Long cartridge in a .32 S&W (short) chamber? None of my club mates..
And, a high quality firearm should not allow a round to be fired when bolt is not fully closed.
I´m kind of intrigued by having a Pardini .32 barrel made for me by special order, chambered for the .32 S&W (short).
Or have a barrel only, and ream it for that cartridge myself. Problem is, changing a barrel of a Pardini .32 is very difficult.

Or, I could just fire .32 S&W (short) round nose cartridges in mye Pardini .32 S&W Long . The round nose bullet would have to take a short "jump" to reach the forcing cone/rifling, but not nesessarilly detrimental to accuracy.
The benfit would be increased bullet stability, and possibly accuracy, at extended ranges, at e.g. 50 yards.
Pardinis (and probably other target guns) tend to be less picky about firing with the bolt not fully forward, probably because they figure most target shooters aren’t going to use crap ammo that will fail to chamber often. Take your unloaded Pardini and try it...see how open the bolt can be and still allow the hammer to fall.

That said, I think most folks who can afford a high-end target gun, or are willing to pay for a custom barrel, are going to know what ammo it can take.

If you try the latter, cheapest option, let us know how accurate it is.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

sparky wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:10 am
Pardinis (and probably other target guns) tend to be less picky about firing with the bolt not fully forward, probably because they figure most target shooters aren’t going to use crap ammo that will fail to chamber often. Take your unloaded Pardini and try it...see how open the bolt can be and still allow the hammer to fall.
On many guns, although the hammer will fall with the bolt open a bit, it will only hit the bottom corner of the bolt, not the firing pin.

That's why you can dry fire with the manufacturers' dry fire plugs without the firing pin marking the plug.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

northpaw wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:47 am Serious considerations, there….

Not sure what you mean by 32 S&W short? Pardini already makes a 32ACP barrel. Factory 32ACP are round nose. I am in the process of having two new Pardini barrel made for my Pardini, 32 long and 32 ACP, but with a tighter and faster twist, its not hat difficult changing barrels.

I suspect the concern of trying to load the wrong bullet is similar to having a safety on a gun. If something can go wrong, eventually It just might (you don’t need to be a moron to make a mistake).
BJohansen

Post by BJohansen »

The .32 S&W Long is popular among international competitors in ISSF 25m centerfire pistol, using high-end target pistols from makers such as Pardini, Morini, Hämmerli, Benelli, and Walther, among others, but chambered for wadcutter bullet type - and wadcutter only.

.32 S&W short would fire in the Pardini HP, but would probably not cycle, and accuracy would be s***.

(.32 ACP Pardinis are not sold here in Europe)