Pardini HP 32, ammo talk

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Dipnet;
It seems extreme to me.
I use CCI Std for the 22,
At 50 yards I come Down 6 clicks and right 2 clicks for the 32 ACP.
At 25 yards I come down 2 more clicks.
I am using the Pardini provided rings, and an Ultradot II.

What base are you using for the scope?
What ammo for the 22?
What ammo or load for the 32?
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

Trooperjake,
re: Has anyone tried using the Speer 32 JHP 60 grain bullet?

I prefer the Gold Dot over XTP; bullet is slightly longer and accurate in my gun. Also, I can find them whereas the XTPs are sold out everywhere I've looked. My load is 1.85gr V N310, R-P brass, CCI, OAL=0.905, which shoots a sub-inch at 25. I don't know what the 50-yd accuracy is.

FYI: I pulled some Hornady's and was surprised to discover the load (~W231?) charge weight was inconsistent (2.2-2.5 grs). I too got mediocre groups with that ammo. dipnet
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I just searched the internet far and wide, and could not find any
SPEER BULLET 32CAL 60GR GOLD DOT HP .312"
All dealers list it as out of stock.
Midway USA says they will accept back orders
Murph

Winchester

Post by Murph »

Has anyone ever tested the factory ammo Winchester Super X? It's a 32 auto and it's a lead hollow point. It looks like a lead mini Nosler or a lead version of the Hornady XTP....which makes me think it make fly straight.

I found a couple boxes today of old stock and bought them. I will bench test them in the next week or two.

Any experiences with this by anyone?
Dipnet

SPEER BULLET 32CAL 60GR GOLD DOT HP .312"

Post by Dipnet »

Trooperjake,
[I sent this message to Trooperjake but failed to post the information for the group. Sorry.]

The only source I know of for Speer 32 cal 60-gr Gold Dots is Widener's Reloading: https://www.wideners.com/index.cfm

They are also a good source of other components. Dipnet
Murph

Re: Winchester

Post by Murph »

Murph wrote:Has anyone ever tested the factory ammo Winchester Super X? It's a 32 auto and it's a lead hollow point. It looks like a lead mini Nosler or a lead version of the Hornady XTP....which makes me think it make fly straight.

I found a couple boxes today of old stock and bought them. I will bench test them in the next week or two.

Any experiences with this by anyone?

Bench tested the Winchester 32 lead hollow point today. It shot as accurate as the Hornady factory cartridges. All held the 10 ring without a problem. Good to know there is another factory round out there, and it's all lead, that is decent enough to compete with.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I cast more bullets up recently and was going to send them out. I have some for TIm and some for Noel but I promised some to someone else the next time I casted and I don't know who it was. I put them in a box and went to the computer to get an address and found nothing. Let me know who you are.

The latest news I have about the 32 ACP is that a group of us has solved the alibi problem. The weakened spring helped but moving the rear edges of the magazines in about .018 fixed everything. I don't know if it will fix it without weakening the spring or using 22 springs because I haven't tried that but the weakening of the spring didn't fix it 100 %.

My best load so far is either 3.0 grains of #5 with a 313 bullet or a 1.6 grain load of 231 with a 314 bullet. I have no idea why different sizes of bullets act differently with different powders. The 1.6 is the best between the two and goes around 775. I have been shooting all loads with 313 314 and 3145 and while it makes a difference there are too many other factors that are related. Whatever my exact expander sizer and exactly how deep I am going into the case can make differences to other peoples loading. I am going to all .314 from now on to simplify the process.

The 1.6 shot 20 shots in pretty much 1 hole with 4 flyers making it about 2.8 inches total. All the shots outside the hole were low left which makes me think I am at fault.

[/img]
Dipnet

Alibi issue; 62-grain SWC bullet

Post by Dipnet »

Oldcaster is right; the alibi issue with the 32ACP seems put to bed. I shot a match yesterday using suggested remedies and no alibis (very commendable experience). Oldcaster's generosity with the bullet he designed is laudable. The 62-grain SWC bullet is well, cute and appears to be very accurate. It looks like I'm going to take up lead casting. Dipnet
Attachments
Oldcaster's 62-grain SWC bullet
Oldcaster's 62-grain SWC bullet
mahoak

.32 ACP magazine fix

Post by mahoak »

Oldcaster,

Can you describe what you did in " moving the rear edges of the magazines in about .018 fixed everything."

I have not found a definitive magazine type yet. Old ones with a flat back and light spring or new with a back dimple and heavy spring, some work and some don't of both types.

Is the mold you use available? I'd sure like to check out your lighter bullets against the Rim Rock 76gn i've been using.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Mahoak,

In the post right above yours from Dipnet there is the link to where you can get the mold and which one it is. I went for the 5 cavity aluminum and I think everyone else did also. I like iron molds a lot better but the price differential is too great to go that way.

As far as the magazines are concerned, I put the magazine in a vice (be careful here as the magazine isn't that tough) and with one of them I moved the rear edge of the magazine opposite the ejector in around .009 with a 3/16 inch brass rod by hitting it in and down at an angle of about 45 degrees. Then I moved the other one by hitting it the same way right in front of the ejector.

The other magazine I put it in the vice the same way and hit in the same area with a brass hammer about 5/8 inch in diameter on both sides and didn't use the rod.

One magazine is now .286 across and the other is .283. At this point I have no idea if this is just enough or almost too much other than both work well now and neither did befo. Perhaps some of the other guys could chime in and measure how wide their magazine is at this point. It doesn't take much force to move them in that amount. Make sure you measure what you have to start with and then move each side half way because once it is done on both sides, there isn't any way to reference how much one side has been moved other than just looking at it.

If you want to try some of these bullets first, send me an Email MrWmLau@gmail.com and put in your site name also so I know who you are. That can get confusing otherwise.
Murph

Post by Murph »

Use a 9/32 doll pin or drill bit as a guide inside
Attachments
image.jpg
Murph

Post by Murph »

Pic was courtesy of Trooperjake
Dipnet

Hornady 60 gr XTPs available

Post by Dipnet »

All,
The backorder dam has broken: Hornady 32 caliber 60gr XTPs are available at Midway and at Natchez (the latter for $16.79/box). Thought you all would want to know. bang, dipnet
Murph

Re: Pardini HP 32, ammo talk

Post by Murph »

I have tried every possible combo of loads with the Hornady 60 grain JHP. I just can't seem to land on a good enough combo for the 50 yard line. Thought I got close a couple times, but nothing was consistently accurate enough.
I have since bought a mold and casted my first batch of lead. Results were as good, maybe even slightly better than the JHPs. I am going to cast a new batch later in the week and size them a bit bigger this time. I think I am getting close. The 0.314" bullets were best so far in the Old Caster designed SWC. .313 was worse so I am going to try 0.315" next. I will post results then.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Murph, I remember you saying that the .3145 size bullets I sent you worked well. Do you want to use the die . It was one I made out of fairly soft metal so it might be sizing bullets larger by this time but I am not presently using it and probably wont. If nothing else you might find out if it is worthwhile to size them at that size. -- Bill --
Murph

Post by Murph »

oldcaster wrote:Murph, I remember you saying that the .3145 size bullets I sent you worked well. Do you want to use the die . It was one I made out of fairly soft metal so it might be sizing bullets larger by this time but I am not presently using it and probably wont. If nothing else you might find out if it is worthwhile to size them at that size. -- Bill --

The mold I am using is dropping them just shy of 0.314", so I just ordered a bigger mold today.
I plan on sizing this next batch at 0.315". I think I have a good load work up and the .3145" were the best so far, so I am optimistic this may be "the one." Thanks for the offer, but I think I have everything. The only thing I need is an expander die to push the brass out to .316 to fit these bigger bullets. Feel free to offer expander die suggestions.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

The size of the bullets you are molding is relevant to the alloy you are using and you have to be careful that you are not sizing the bullets down with the crimp as they leave the case. Mine is dropping a little over .315.

Unless you expand and flare in two different steps it matters how long the expander is before the flare occurs and at this time, the best expansion depth is still a guess. If it is long, it is simple to shorten but of course not the other way. I am fairly sure FC60 will make you one if you give him dimensions.
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

I finally got many consistent 10 shot groups between 1.25 and 1.5 at 50 yards here is what I'm doing:

Old Casters bullet = Accurate mode 060A
Mine drop at .316" I size them to .315"
I'm using 50/50 lube as recommended by Old Caster
The method I'm using to reload is not how the reloading books read so I'm not suggesting that you do it this way. I'm sure there is a better way. I presently do not use an expanding die so all my brass needs to be the same make. Winchester gives me the smallest groups followed by Federal and PMC. Remington does not work with my set up as the brass is too thin.
I size my brass with a .336" carbide sizing die (custom made)
This with WW brass gives me about .314 ID (This is why I do not need to expand the brass with an expander)
I using Hodgdon TiteWad powder again this powder is not recommended for the 32 ACP so I'm also not recommending to use it. I've been trying to use VV N-310 which is great when I was using 1.8 grains but when going lighter I was having inconsistent velocities. I was trying to get the bullet to go about 750'/sec.
I'm loading 1.15gr of TW and this gives me 750'/sec and with Federal GM 100M primers consistent velocities SD's between 10 and 12 for 20 rounds. Winchester primers gave me vertical stringing and bigger swings in velocity.
My OAL is .880 with a .332" taper crimp. I tried OAL between .860 and .890 and they all were accurate.
.880 always feed in my gun.
I've done the magazine lip modification and run 22 springs in the magazine and also for the recoil spring in the gun as this load is close to a 22 load.
cnnhead

Post by cnnhead »

pistol champ wrote: I'm loading 1.15gr of TW
What kind of a dispenser do you use to produce such a precise powder charge? I'm currently looking for something similar.
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

cnnhead wrote:
pistol champ wrote: I'm loading 1.15gr of TW
What kind of a dispenser do you use to produce such a precise powder charge? I'm currently looking for something similar.

I use a modified Arredondo micrometer powder drop in a Dillon 1050. I had the chamber shape changed to get rid of the odd shaped chamber that was designed to get the lightest possible load, as I did not need that feature.