Pardini HP 32, ammo talk

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Trooperjake

Pardini 32 ACP

Post by Trooperjake »

I was at the range today testing loads at 50 yards. I only have sandbags to use.
Wish I had a + power eyepiece for my dot, because I know there is a slight holding error! I cannot see.
Now and then I can see a slight let off error.
All groups are 10 shots.
First I shot the factory Hornady XTP 60, results I felt were poor, 2.25".
Then I shot my reloads, Hornady XTP 60 heads with Win 231, 2.6 grains. Seating and crimp same as factory.
I shot it twice, 20 shots, 1.75 x 1/4 strung high on one 1.5 x 2 also strung vertical.
Then I shot the Rimrock that I drilled hollow points in, making them 72-73 grain.
They shot 2 x 2, much better than expected. All would fit in the X ring.

When I shot the 22 barrel, I used CCI Std and got a 1.5" x 1.75" group for 10 shots.

Old Caster was gracious enough to send me some of his bullets, I can't wait to load up some and test them.
rigwhanson

Thanks for the information on the leading.

Post by rigwhanson »

Oldcaster thanks for the leading info. I was thinking of ordering one of your mold/designs from Precision. Although almost all the casting that I do for 45 scp or 38 158 swc has been Bhn 12-16 and works well with Blue Angel Lub. I have used the Javelina 50/50 but don't like t because of the mess. I have tried to develop a lead load in 115 gr swc for 9mm running about 1000 and have not yet come up with something that does not lead significantly right at the lead in to the rifling. Tried both hard and soft lub and bullets although none down at 9 or lino either. The lead in was final reamed with a Pacific Tool Competition finish reamer. Slightly smaller sizing improved it and I plan to go down a little more on the sizing to see if that doesn't fix it. Thanks again of your sizing lubbing tests and comments.
RGw
rigwhanson

Rim Rock Premium Hard Cast Load

Post by rigwhanson »

I tried a few different loads today and the powder that showed promise was the following these are all just 10 shot groups. I also tried some Titegroup and 231 that also looked pretty good but I have a lot of WST.

This is all shot out of the Pardini Bullseye 2014 with the 32 acp barrel.

Case Remington
Primer Federal Small Pistol
Powder Winchester WST
LOA .925"
Load Avg Vel Std Dev Group Size Inch flyers
1.7 857 10 3.35 0
1.9 927 12 2.55 2
2.1 958 13 2.28 0
RGw
rigwhanson

WST Loads

Post by rigwhanson »

Before you ask they were all at 50 yes
RGw
rigwhanson

Pardini 32acp to 22 sight adjustment

Post by rigwhanson »

Do any of you swap the Bullseye Edition from 22-32acp and back?

What are you finding you have to do with sight adjustment?

On my gun I am finding that it requires 7 clicks vertical and 15 clicks horizontal. This is with a Aimpoint 4MOA at 50 yds.

It appears to be fairly repeatable so far have not a lot of experience yet.
RGw
mahoak

Re: Pardini 32acp to 22 sight adjustment

Post by mahoak »

rigwhanson wrote:Do any of you swap the Bullseye Edition from 22-32acp and back?
Yes, I swap. Setting changes depend on loads. My usual loads, .22 SK Std+ and .32 W231 2.0gn Rim Rock 75gn, yield the same vertical and 4 clicks horizontal. Low rings from PardiniUSA and a Aimpoint 9000SC.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I only have the 32 and not the 22.

I did try cutting two coils off my magazine spring because I didn't have a 22 spring to try and my alibis almost went away. I might go one more to see if that will do it. I have no idea what it would take to get another spring if I cut too much so if any of you are going to try that take caution. I did think about putting a small copper wire around the spring and then soldering it so I wouldn't have to cut it. I tried small tie wraps and that didn't work.

Sometimes I have 10 shot groups in the 1 1/2 inch neighborhood with 2 that make it 3 inches. I am wondering, especially with others doing the same, if it is pretty difficult to bench rest these guns because you can't accidently get 8 bullets that close together without a reason. Some loads I shoot are consistently 3 inches and there are no tight areas. Others always have the tight area.

Another thing that is bugging me is that the .313 bullets seem to perform as well as anything else and the barrel is almost .314, however it is quite difficult to get an accurate measure when slugging a barrel on such a small caliber.

I am either going to get a Ransom Insert for the Pardini to make sure or call it good on this bullet and say that my best results are with Accurate # 5 at 2.9 to 3.0 grains and a .313. or .314 bullet with NRA 50/50. I did slow down the Power Pistol to 2.4 grains and got good results but will have to do it more than once to be sure. If I find for sure that my alibi problems have nothing to do with lack of velocity, I will try to go slower to see what that does.

I am shooting with an 8 power cross hair scope and feel that I am holding good but when you shoot 100 or so bullets in a sitting I imagine it is easy to make mistakes.
rigwhanson

Powder for 32 acp

Post by rigwhanson »

Can anyone identify what the make of the powder is that Hornady is using? I took one apart and it is a sphere that has been flattened some. they are pretty big flakes compared to either WST or Titegroup which are flatter and smaller. The Hornady powder is a lot thicker and has round edges and the average flakes are bigger in diameter? I only have some Alliant, Hodgdon, Winchester, IMR, and Vitavouri Powders. This stuff is nothing like any of the powders I have.
RGw
rigwhanson

Zero Change with barrel

Post by rigwhanson »

Mahoak

Interesting that your zero change is so small compared to mine. The number that I posted above has changed a little after some more trials but it looks to have settled in at 7 clicks vertical and 12 horizontal. That calculates to 1.75" and 3.00" with the sight that I use, but it does repeat so I guess that is good. You for sure don't want to make a mistake in the direction you go in a match. that is using Eley Match or Lapua OSP in the 22 and the Hornady factory in the 32. However the Fiocchi that is loaded with XTP 60 gr is very close to that as are the reloads I have tried. The last reloads I loaded were Rimrock 75 FP Premium Hard Cast with 2.0 gr WST.
RGw
rigwhanson

Cast SWC Data

Post by rigwhanson »

I purchased the 31-060 mold and cast some rounds the best of the results at 50 yds. that I have so far are:

Cast in fairly hard alloy about 18 BHN
Sized to .31304" and lubed with Hard Blue Angel lub
The best result has been with 1.9 gr WST Velocity 980
Primers Federal Small Pistol
The cases were the Fiocchi G.R.L. that have thick walls of .0128" P/M .003"
Taper crimped to .330 which is pretty tight with this case wall thickness.
The wall thickness on Hornady and Remington cases are much more consistent in wall thickness when I have some data with them I will post it.
I have had groups of 2.5 and 2.25 inches with 1 or 2 fliers.
The testing was all off the top of the gun box with a red dot Ultradot.
Could be some operator errors of coarse with this method.
Don't plan on doing any more testing at this time other than get some data with the Remington and Hornady cases.
RGw
Murph

Re: Powder for 32 acp

Post by Murph »

rigwhanson wrote:Can anyone identify what the make of the powder is that Hornady is using? I took one apart and it is a sphere that has been flattened some. they are pretty big flakes compared to either WST or Titegroup which are flatter and smaller. The Hornady powder is a lot thicker and has round edges and the average flakes are bigger in diameter? I only have some Alliant, Hodgdon, Winchester, IMR, and Vitavouri Powders. This stuff is nothing like any of the powders I have.
I noticed the same thing, the Hornady powder is large flakes. I assume the reason hand loads may out perform them is the powder. No idea what they use for powder. I am shooting factory Hornady and it's a 2-3" group. Hand loads by others with bullseye or 231, etc....seem to get down to 1-2" groups.
Murph

Hand loads

Post by Murph »

I have brass and primers and can probably find some Hornady XTP bullets. Does anyone on this thread want to make me some hand loaded 32 ACP rounds? I will pay you for your time and powder and supply the brass, primers, and bullets. I want some hand loads with the same velocity as factory Hornady but am hoping they are more accurate. Been shooting 870's with my Pardini HP, and I can usually call the shots, but sometimes I know they are a bit off. Sometimes even in my favor, but not always. Anyway, if you have a tested accurate load with Hornady 60 XTP bullets and wanna make me a few hundred or even a 1000, please let me know. My email is murphybikes@msn.com
pistol champ

jams

Post by pistol champ »

I changed my 32acp magazine spring to the one from the 22 magazine and my jams went away completely
Murph

32 mags

Post by Murph »

Pistol champ, my HP seems to have outgrown the alibis. I just assumed the gun is really broken in now after 2500 rds or so. If it does it again I will change over to the 22 mag springs. Thanks for that tip.
rigwhanson

Hornady 60gr XTP

Post by rigwhanson »

Murph if you find any of the 60gr XTP let me know where? I have not been able to find any! I expect they will start showing up again in the not too distant future but who knows?
RGw
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

The powder two of you describe in the Hornady XTP 60, sounds like
Clays, a good pistol powder. It is a fllake powder.
I use it for Cowboy loads in my 45 LC, but does not meter well in small quantities like 2.0.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Has anyone tried using the Speer 32 JHP 60 grain bullet?
How does it compare with the Hornady?
rigwhanson

32 Hornady Powder

Post by rigwhanson »

It is not Clays. I reload 45acp with Clays some and it is nothing like it. Trooperjake Did you shoot at the Columbia Regional that just finished? If you did sorry that I didn't look you up and talk to you.
RGw
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I was there for the short line match on Friday.
Dipnet

Re: Pardini 32acp to 22 sight adjustment

Post by Dipnet »

Rigwhanson,
re: sight adjustment Pardini 22/32

I just purchased the Bullseye SP with 32 conversion and sighting in with standard vel. 22s (using an Aimpoint II sight), I have to elevate it 15 clicks for the 32 ACP at 25 yards and 17 clicks at 50 yards. No windage adjustment is required.

Love that pistol. Wife has asked me to stop bringing it to the dinner table. Dipnet