walther ssp .22 pistol jamming

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Crete

Post by Crete »

johny_r, your remark regarding "some undesirable friction between the slide and the frame" seems valid.

All together the issue may be located in the region of the firing pin/bar/spring and how its movement after discharge is timed w/the extractor.

Could it be that the firing pin&bar are bent/damaged and both need replacing?

What could be done to the extractor?
johny_r

Post by johny_r »

Well,
the extractor just pulls the shell. If it does manually, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't after firing. And as grad said, the shell is caught between the slide and the frame, it doesn't stay in the chamber. However, there can really be some problem with the firing pin spring and rod. It needs to be cocked by the rearward motion of the slide so if the firing pin rod is somehow bended or whatever, it can cause friction and the malfunctions. Gfrad has to find out if there is anything bended or anyhow damaged.
swilso

Re: walther ssp .22 pistol jamming

Post by swilso »

Curious to know how you went with this. I am looking at purchasing a well priced second hand SSP.
Zipp0

Post by Zipp0 »

I have not trawled through the thread (so I apologise for repetition) - but shot an SSP-E for rapid fire (even though I am not very good). Never a problem - never it shot like clockwork - until the nationals - when suddenly every round jammed / stovepiped - it would not function at all. Very strange, clean, fired, same ammo (SK) trigger fine etc etc. I had shot it enough to load mags consistently (several 1000 rounds - never a jam or misfire). Switched to a Pardini mid comp - first string 10-10-10-10-9 - never looked back - although I tinkered with the SSP - I could not isolate what happened to it. The new owner tells me all is well......
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

Murphy's Law at its finest i guess. No gun is immune.
Zipp0 wrote:I have not trawled through the thread (so I apologise for repetition) - but shot an SSP-E for rapid fire (even though I am not very good). Never a problem - never it shot like clockwork - until the nationals - when suddenly every round jammed / stovepiped - it would not function at all. Very strange, clean, fired, same ammo (SK) trigger fine etc etc. I had shot it enough to load mags consistently (several 1000 rounds - never a jam or misfire). Switched to a Pardini mid comp - first string 10-10-10-10-9 - never looked back - although I tinkered with the SSP - I could not isolate what happened to it. The new owner tells me all is well......
KH250

Post by KH250 »

If the jam looks like the picture attached, the problem is a failure to eject. My understanding of how shells are ejected is that the shell pushes the slide back, the shell strikes the ejector and pivots around the extractor and is thrown clear. If the extractor is damaged or not fully engaging with the rim, the shell may just be dislodged from under the extractor to early to fully eject.
Attached is a pictures of my SSP extractor, it works fine. On my SSP the extractor is pushed sideways when a shell is pushed into the slide face. The striker/firing pin contacts the chamber face well away from the chamber, and has a broad contact area, I cannot see how it would hurt the chamber. Striker picture attached.
The slide would have to be binding and not moving through its full travel for the shell to eject so badly as to get caught like this. Hopefully this should be easy to notice. My SSP even when it has fired a 1000 rounds without cleaning still works ok. Mine has only failed to eject twice in its life, it is five years old.

Hope this may help
Attachments
Striker.jpg
Striker.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Extractor.jpg
Jam.jpg