Hammerli Xesse

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Xman

Hammerli Xesse

Post by Xman »

What is the general opinion of the Xesse target model? I may be scouting around for a .22 to start up in bullseye. Yes I know the M41 is a treasure ...and most of the time costs about the same. And yes the Xesse can get pricy too. Have thought about a Bernadelli also. I know the Ruger has LOTs and LOTs and LOTs of devotees and can be tricked out but something about the Ruger action just does not sit well with me.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

If you have a 1911 with a good trigger, a Marvel would be a good choice. Also an older High Standard if you can find one for a decent price. Beware of cracked frames. The cheaper Benelli 95 is good for the price but you need trigger work on it which is fairly simple to do. Extra magazines are pricy though. Basically, getting into Bullseye isn't cheap but it is cheap once you are in. If you are pretty serious about competing don't do as 90% of shooters do and buy low, then buy middle and finally buy the best which is what they should have done in the beginning. Good luck in picking.
PFribley

Trailside

Post by PFribley »

Lots of people use the Trailside in bullseye. I have a 6" one. Larrys sells them. Thay are on gun broker all the time. Lighter than the 41. Some say the 4" one is the best. Get the target adjustable grips and Larrys trigger kit. Can't go wrong. Some of them the slide won't lock back after the last round. Have fun shooting 10s.
ssauer2004

Re: Hammerli Xesse

Post by ssauer2004 »

Xman wrote:What is the general opinion of the Xesse target model? I may be scouting around for a .22 to start up in bullseye. Yes I know the M41 is a treasure ...and most of the time costs about the same. And yes the Xesse can get pricy too. Have thought about a Bernadelli also. I know the Ruger has LOTs and LOTs and LOTs of devotees and can be tricked out but something about the Ruger action just does not sit well with me.

I was in the same position as you last year. I was about to begin my first season of bullseye and was looking for a .22 pistol. I spoke to a lot of different shooters at my club. They all saud the same thing, buy the best gun you can afford. The reason being that you'll probably end up buying tha gun eventually. It was between a Pardini and a Walther gsp expert. I ended up going with the Walther.
PFribley

Trailside

Post by PFribley »

I was the same as ssauer. I ended up with a Hammerli SP20 RRS. All fine guns and can shoot better than the shooter. They are expensive though. How much money you got!!! I wouldn't buy new. It seems the Pardini,Hammerli,Benelli and the Walthers don't bring much used compared to what they cost new!!!! Shop and be patient!!!! LOL
joel

Re: Hammerli Xesse

Post by joel »

Xman wrote:What is the general opinion of the Xesse target model?
I'm actually curious to hear about the question that you asked. I have been wondering about this pistol as well, but it seems everyone wants you to get something else :)

Joel
ssauer2004

Post by ssauer2004 »

From all the research that I did prior to purchasing the Walther, it seemed that nobody really liked the Hammerli's after they closed shop. If you like the sport and think you are going to stick with it, I would look to a Pardini or a Walther. If you have to save up for a season, I would purchase a used Ruger MKIII and use it for a season.
montster

Trailside Experience

Post by montster »

I think this is a very good pistol. They can be found used at very good prices. One feature I looked for was light weight. Older, younger or injured shooters can benefit fro the lighter weight. I have bought 2 in recent years, each under 400 dollars and both are being used by relatives that needed a lighter pistol because of age/strength or shoulder issues. One of these pistols went to Larry Carter for a trigger job and that was money well spent. Only issue we have come across is one worn ejector and the magazine spring issue (not holding the slide open).

My 12 year old is starting to be able to hold this pistol with one hand for a few shots with some good results.

Simple and easy to break down and clean is another plus.

CCI standard feeds pretty well with most lots. Wolf target always feeds well. It loved the federal automatch bulk but the higher velocity was a concern of mine for slide wear and tear.
yana

Post by yana »

2 at our gunclub had the Xesse pistol. Both had faulty barrels, and went back to the factory (they only shot keyholes).
I'd rather have another pistol, my trust in the Xesse is gone.

Post by Guest »

yana wrote:2 at our gunclub had the Xesse pistol. Both had faulty barrels, and went back to the factory (they only shot keyholes).
I'd rather have another pistol, my trust in the Xesse is gone.
ah but were they keyholes in the 10 ring?
MSC

Post by MSC »

I've not handled/fired an Xesse, but have a few Sig Trailsides (same gun, basically).
Putting aside reliability and build concerns, I thought...
- Very light, but nice balance.
- Trigger is quite acceptable stock. I've fired one with Larry's job done,
and didn't find it sooo much better, but everyone has an opinion.
- Plenty accurate
- Simple field strip
- Fills a price point between the Ruger/Browning and the Smith 41 and
Euro guns.
I do question the build quality, at least of the Sig Trailsides. The internet is littered with people that had problems. Mostly with the slide not locking open after the last round, and the cracked trigger guard(?). Both of those are fairly easy to remedy. Cracked slides was a less common issue, though who knows if that was the result of high-velocity ammo and such. Still, it's enough to make me leary of the Trailside, being that Sig no longer supports them. Larry's can no doubt fix any problem, but start throwing a few hundred $ at the gun, and you're at the next price point. There's a beautiful 6" Trailside with adj sights that my dealer just took in, asking $475, and likely some wiggle room there. Much as I'd like to pick it up, I'm very hesitant.
If however you were considering a new Xesse from Larry's, I say go for it. Shoot the heck out of it while it's under warranty. The most basic model starts at $699, and I think the target model 6" is just under $1,000. For that you could get a new Smith 41 or preferably a nice vintage one.
Not sure where you're looking price-wise.
But to your question... I think the Xesse could be a good choice. Especially if you're looking for something on the lighter side.
If you do, please post a thorough range review, as there's nothing out there.
MSC

Post by MSC »

As a followup to my prior post.... I ended up purchasing the Trailside I spoke about. After putting 150 or so rounds downrange, I'd add the following to my thoughts above:
- It seems to be ammo "insensitive". I have some "soft" target ammo that wouldn't cycle in anything, and it all ran fine in the trailside. ANYTHING standard vel that I threw at it.
- The trigger, though pretty good, is definitely a notch below Larry's. There just happened to be a guy a couple ports down with a Trailside with Larry's trigger,and it was pretty nice. His shot a group off of sandbags at 50ft that was as good as any I've seen with any gun. And this was with CCI std velocity.
- The gun does jump notably in recoil due to it's weight (or lack thereof). I'm used to mag-forward Euro guns, that have a lesser, straight-back recoil. And of course are much heavier. Mounting a dot up on the rail should somewhat remedy this somewhat.
- The magazines appear very cheap. Though I can't recall hearing of anyone breaking or wearing them out. They don't have a very quality appearance.

All in all though, I'm very happy with my purchase. It should fill my need for a lighter bullseye gun nicely. We'll see how it turns out comparing to past guns....

Xesse

Post by Guest »

I bought one from Larry for my daughter. I had Larry do his trigger upgrade and also installed Larry's scope mount. That combination results in nice balance and feel. I perceived that it shot well in my hands. The trigger is no where near a 280s (but nothing else is, either) but certainly acceptable. BOth of us are pleased with it.

Re: Xesse

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I bought one from Larry for my daughter. I had Larry do his trigger upgrade and also installed Larry's scope mount. That combination results in nice balance and feel. I perceived that it shot well in my hands. The trigger is no where near a 280s (but nothing else is, either) but certainly acceptable. BOth of us are pleased with it.
Sorry, I meant 208s. Senility can be insidious.
jake

Post by jake »

I'd had a Trailside and didn't like it. It was too hold sensitive, too lite, the slide was too slow, the trigger was absurd. It wasn't reliable past 20 rounds, and the trigger was an abomination - that deserves repeating. It's like they'd farmed out the trigger group design to a toy manufacturer and told him they were building a ray-gun. But the mechanical accuracy of the pistol was very good, it was just too hard to shoot well.

I've never shot one of the Xesse that Larry's is selling, so I can't comment on whether they're the same.

Post by Guest »

jake wrote:I'd had a Trailside and didn't like it. It was too hold sensitive, too lite, the slide was too slow, the trigger was absurd. It wasn't reliable past 20 rounds, and the trigger was an abomination - that deserves repeating. It's like they'd farmed out the trigger group design to a toy manufacturer and told him they were building a ray-gun. But the mechanical accuracy of the pistol was very good, it was just too hard to shoot well.

I've never shot one of the Xesse that Larry's is selling, so I can't comment on whether they're the same.

Where are these knuckle draggers coming from, RimfireCentral? The BS level in this forum is becoming intense. Certainly it isn't a Pardini, but at the price point the Trailside [with Larry's trigger] and the Xesse are excellent. In the hands of a skilled shooter, they are competitive.
jake

Post by jake »

excuse me?

I've been on TT for a long while and we tend to stay away from attacking each other over differences of opinion. You're the one who's stinking up the place.

Congratulations on your purchase anonymous coward.

Post by Guest »

jake wrote:excuse me?

I've been on TT for a long while and we tend to stay away from attacking each other over differences of opinion. You're the one who's stinking up the place.

Congratulations on your purchase anonymous coward.

So, your difference of opinion created another difference of opinion and now your hurt. No gold star today, Cupcake.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

Jake's got a point. The trigger on the Trailside leaves a lot to be desired. They're interesting pistols, but not the easiest to shoot well. Probably great for kids though.

Post by Guest »

Can anybody say "Hendo"?