Help Me Understand Shooters' Eyeglasses

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Litehart

Help Me Understand Shooters' Eyeglasses

Post by Litehart »

I am blessed with 20/15 eyesight long distance, but have poor vision up close. With my cheap readers, I can see the front site just fine. What eye gear does a shooter wear to optimize vision (but also provide eye protection)? Being new to shooting, I am not familiar with the options, or where to get them. Some explanation and specific sources for buying the gear would be helpful. Thanks!
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

These articles should be helpful.
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

I don't wear glasses, but it's my understanding that shooters who do often have a pair that's custom ground for their specific requirements.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Norman Wong's articles should answer all of your questions..

The short answer is - if the drugstore reading glasses give you a sharp, clear front sight and a slightly blurred bullseye then you are all set. No point in spending money for special lenses and frames if you don't need them. Unfortuneatley, I do. :-(

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the info guys. Solomon, that link had so much info that it was like drinking out of a fire hose! I am anxious to site through a ultradot match scope I have ordered. I can now see that I may not need any correction at all since I have great distance vision.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Thanks for the info guys. Solomon, that link had so much info that it was like drinking out of a fire hose! I am anxious to site through a ultradot match scope I have ordered. I can now see that I may not need any correction at all since I have great distance vision.
Be careful of relying on that great distance vision. The target should be seen as a blur, not sharp and in focus. There is too much temptation to focus on the target rather than the sight when you see it too clearly. I learned to shoot when I was in my early 20's with iron sights. I did very well then and I think one reason for it was because I was slightly near sighted. The target was always a blur and the iron sight was always sharp and clear so I focused on the sight and on my trigger squeeze. Now that I have middle aged vision getting a great sight picture, particularly with iron sights, is much harder. Kate

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Be careful of relying on that great distance vision. The target should be seen as a blur, not sharp and in focus. There is too much temptation to focus on the target rather than the sight when you see it too clearly. Kate
I understood that one of the benefits of using the UltraDot tube sights was the red dot focused at infinity overlaying the target which is viewed essentially at infinity. Therefore, if I am focused on the red dot I am in essence focused on the target too.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Be careful of relying on that great distance vision. The target should be seen as a blur, not sharp and in focus. There is too much temptation to focus on the target rather than the sight when you see it too clearly. Kate
I understood that one of the benefits of using the UltraDot tube sights was the red dot focused at infinity overlaying the target which is viewed essentially at infinity. Therefore, if I am focused on the red dot I am in essence focused on the target too.
I get some coaching from one of the best bullseye shooters in the country. He has poor vision at almost any distance without his glasses. He got a new precription this spring and wore it at the next match. Shot his lowest scores in several months. I asked him what was wrong and he said he could see the holes in the target way too well and kept getting distracted by them.
My belief is that you think you can focus on both the target and the dot at the same time but you really can't. Choose the dot.
clark2245

Post by clark2245 »

Anonymous wrote:I understood that one of the benefits of using the UltraDot tube sights was the red dot focused at infinity overlaying the target which is viewed essentially at infinity. Therefore, if I am focused on the red dot I am in essence focused on the target too.
That is correct and you really cannot do anything with glasses to make the target blurry without also making the dot out of focus. You need a sharp focus on the dot so you are forced to also have the target in focus in the background since they are both at essentially the same focal distance. It takes some effort to maintain visual and mental focus on the dot while shooting (that target with the holes appearing in it sure is attractive to the eye) but for most people your results will be better as you perfect that ability. Only way around this problem I have heard of is one very good shooter who allowed the front lens of the scope to stay dirty with the oil and debris that naturally collects on it so the target would be blurry but the dot was still bright and clear since it is internal. Need to try that sometime.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Some facts for reference and confusion:

1. Dr. Wong (referenced above in the link to Ed Hall's site) has done testing and conducted a poll on the topic of whether or not the dot is always at the same apparent focal length as the target (at "infinity"). He found that this is not necessarily the case, and there are several factors involved. Thus, in many cases, it is possible to focus on the dot without the target being completely in focus.

2. Brian Zins has said that he usually focuses on the target instead of the dot, although sometimes he does the opposite.

3. To blur the target but not the dot, you can apply a thin film of vaseline to the front lens.

Once again, it's whatever works best for you.

HTH,
FredB
jackh

Post by jackh »

Focusing on the dot or target is one thing. But where is your "attention"? I have been having some success looking at the bull and keeping my attention there as I drive the dot and trigger to it. Thats my take on Zins. Part of my belief in this comes from "quiet eye". If your hold (wobble) is too big, this doesnt work.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

jackh wrote:Focusing on the dot or target is one thing. But where is your "attention"? I have been having some success looking at the bull and keeping my attention there as I drive the dot and trigger to it. Thats my take on Zins. Part of my belief in this comes from "quiet eye". If your hold (wobble) is too big, this doesnt work.
What do you mean by 'quiet eye'?
jackh

Post by jackh »

Fred Mannis wrote:
jackh wrote:Focusing on the dot or target is one thing. But where is your "attention"? I have been having some success looking at the bull and keeping my attention there as I drive the dot and trigger to it. Thats my take on Zins. Part of my belief in this comes from "quiet eye". If your hold (wobble) is too big, this doesnt work.
What do you mean by 'quiet eye'?
Hi Fred
Google it
Fred.Mannis

Post by Fred.Mannis »

Thanks Jack. Looks like an afternoon of useful reading coming up.

FredM