Pardini scope base

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

scott4687

Pardini scope base

Post by scott4687 »

Hello all, I have a new Pardini sp. Should I put a scope base (from Larry's) on it or is the grove that is already on it good enough? I plan on using a Ultra dot (match dot) on it. Does the base add a noticable weight? Anyone which experience with this, I would like to hear your opinions.
Thanks,
Scott
tenex

Re: Pardini scope base

Post by tenex »

scott4687 wrote:Hello all, I have a new Pardini sp. Should I put a scope base (from Larry's) on it or is the grove that is already on it good enough? I plan on using a Ultra dot (match dot) on it. Does the base add a noticable weight? Anyone which experience with this, I would like to hear your opinions.
Thanks,
Scott
Hi Scott,
I have an SP I purchased in 2001. At the time we all filed the bottom of some Millett vertically split aluminum rings and mounted them using the existing rail. I always liked this, very light and low mounting position. I don't see what the mount really buys you.

Steve.
Laserdot

Re: Pardini scope base

Post by Laserdot »

Hi Scott,

I purchased a Pardini SP New about a year ago and had the scope mount installed at the time of purchase from Larry's Guns. It looks absolutely awesome. However, I recently purchased a used Pardini for a backup and it had a scope mounted directly on the gun rail. I do notice a difference in the handling of the gun. It is lighter, but I think more importantly it seems to have better balance due to having a lower center of gravity. One of the problems that you may encounter in mounting it directly on the rail though is that the scope may move during recoil. I have a Pardini HP and could not tighten the rings enough that it prevented the scope from walking up the rail. I was able to solve this problem by placing a small amount of Loctite in the rail grove before clamping the rings to it. Larry 's Guns does sell scope rings that are milled to fit the Pardini rail at a reasonable price. By the way my used backup gun is now my primary gun. Hope this helps.
scott4687

Post by scott4687 »

Good info! Thanks guys.
Scott
scott4687

Post by scott4687 »

Oh, one more thing. Do you know where I can get Pardini rings that will fit 30mm scope? I think Larry's only carry 1"
Scott
MSC

Post by MSC »

I'd ask if they could do a 30mm set at Larry's. I'm pretty sure they just grind/file a set of standard rings. When I was inquiring about a new Pardini at McElhiney's guns in MA, the guy said they could "make" me a set. Which boiled down to just that - file/grind std rings.
You might take a look at Burris rings. I saw a set that had very sharp clamps on them. Looked as though they might work.
Laserdot

Post by Laserdot »

Scott,

Larry's sells both 1” and the 30mm rings. Their web site is not always up to date so you should probably call them.
22 champ

Post by 22 champ »

The UD rings are aluminum and can be shaved in five minutes to provide a sharper angle which will bite the factory grooves.
Laserdot

Post by Laserdot »

FYI – Just wanted to make the following statement regarding my previous comment. I stated that I thought mounting the rings directly on the gun gave better balance to the gun as compared to the gun with the scope base mount. I have since done some more experimenting and found that by removing 4 of the 6 weights in the gun with the scope base; both guns feel very well balanced and similar now. So either way you choose to go is fine in IMHO.
usmcmba

Post by usmcmba »

I think this maybe more of a personal preference. I generally like a heavier pistol, seems like all my pistols to include the 1911 is almost 3 lbs. This weigh gives me the stability I am looking for (too light and the wobble gets too large for me), so I like the scope base from Larry's gun. This does add weight and the SP and HP mounted with the scope base will weight just a little under 3 lbs. with a 4 oz scope. Also the plus with using Larry's mount is you can have a good reference for where the scope should be mounted.

By the way, I want to mention that I have tried Ultradot (matchdot) and have now changed to the Aimpoint Micro R-1. I think this is the more preferable optic for this weapon. The weigh is about the same, the dot is rounder than the Ultradot, construction is better (but pricier), most of all, if you mount this little scope in the center of the weapon, it provides a great balance. It has made a big difference in my scores and I highly recommend using such scope.