9mm use in BE shooting

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Brian James

9mm use in BE shooting

Post by Brian James »

Like many shooters, I have heard that 9mm was not an accurate enough for BE shooting. After reading a few articles, and hearing a few stories, I'm debating the idea trying a 9mm for BE shooting. Reports of sub 2" groups at 50 yards sound appealing.

I do not attend some of the large US matches, so I'm left wondering if people are using 9mm in BE and if so what are they shooting?

I've been debating a 9mm in 1911 or a CZ75 (or variant), there’s also the Berretta 92 or S&W 952? I initially wanted a 38 wadgun, but the availability in Canada is non-existed besides some used Connan’s.

Brian
John C

Post by John C »

I'm considering the same thing, although I'm specifically looking at a 9mm conversion kit for my Pardini GT-45. They're ~$1200 from Larry's guns. Apparently they're bullseye accurate, out of the box.

Sig Sauer claims that the 9mm X-five is good for sub 2 inch groups at 50, and it has an adjustable trigger down to 2.5 lbs.

I currently shoot a very mild wadcutter load in my GT-45, a 160 SWC over 3.9gr of Bullseye. I wonder if an equivalent load from a 9mm would work? Perhaps an 85 or 90 gr JHP or SWC for a .380 going 750 fps? What's the typical twist on a 9mm? Would this stabilize a light bullet?

-John
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

Neil at NSK would be a good person to talk to. He loads 9mm for BE.
I'd spoken to him about 9mm recently and IIRC he'd mentioned 1.5" from the Sams Beretta. IIRC they're using a 115gr bullet.

http://www.nsksales.com/
Misny

Post by Misny »

The biggest use of the 9mm in bullseye is in Distinguished aka Excellence in Competition matches which are run in conjunction with state, regional or the national matches. The 9mm handguns in these events must be the Beretta M-9 or Beretta 92FS. There are a couple of pistolsmiths who are accurizing them. The accurized guns run over $2,000. The ammo in these CMP events are limited to a FMJ bullet in 115 gr. to 124 gr. The accurized Berettas will shoot under 2" groups at 50 yards with the right loads.

I've known a couple of folks who have used the 1911 in 9mm for the centerfire portion of the NRA Conventional Pistol matches. The guns shoot very well, and the ammo is not restricted, so they are considerably easier to work up a load. Most bullseye shooters see no advantage to using a 1911 in 9mm for the centerfire match and opt to use the 1911 in .45 ACP. That way one learns to shoot one gun only and it is the least expensive route, since you buy one gun and reloading equipment and supplies.