.32 wadcutter projectiles & Hammerli P240

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Shooting Kiwi

.32 wadcutter projectiles & Hammerli P240

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Hi Folks,

I've just taken delivery of a .32 Hammerli P240. These pistols have, according to Hammerli, 'a tighter bore than is normal'. Very rarely, separation of the skirt of hollow-based wadcutters caused bulged barrels in the .38 versions. I've never heard of a similar problem with the .32 barrel - is there a similar risk?

Can anyone please give recommendations regarding optimum projectile diameters in .32 calibre for the P240? Any recommendations about loads, or indeed anything, would also be most gratefully received.
Spencer

Re: .32 wadcutter projectiles & Hammerli P240

Post by Spencer »

Shooting Kiwi wrote:...I've never heard of a similar problem with the .32 barrel - is there a similar risk?...
YES!

The problems were not with the pistol or the barrel - mainly from HBWC projectiles with thin skirts.
A few decades back, hundreds of .32 barrels in Australia were bulged. Coincidentally (???) most reportedly were with the same brand of projectiles.

Spencer
Ernie Rodriguez

32 S&W BBL Diameter

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Kiwi-You really need to slug your bore.Lapau,Speer and H&N,among others,make very fine .32 LHBWC bullets for this caliber-and different diameters also.If you stick to bore diameter,or .001/.002 over,you should be OK. I have found that .313/.314 works fine in my Wilson bbl as well as the stock Pardini bbl. A charge of 1.5-1.9 of WST, N310 or B'eye-seems to be pretty popular-delivering good accuracy and relatively clean burning.Hope this helps.
Last edited by Ernie Rodriguez on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
38HBWC

240 bullet choice

Post by 38HBWC »

Reply to you query is correct. Slug the bore and mic out the actual diameter. You need to be over just enough so the bullet deforms enough during acceleration to engage the actual groove diameter. I am cautious on my 38 Kal. 240, as I go to .354" diameter just for it. I have read that this model likes GECO brand. In your case, roco sytems.com flat rate ships pills for your peashooter. What a wonderful gun to own and shoot!
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Thanks folks for the advice. I will certainly measure the bore carefully.

Here in NZ, it seems difficult to source a wide range of projectiles. The .38 and .32 HBWC projectiles most widely (and sucessfully) used around this part of the country have been made by a typical Kiwi shed-inhabitant. Home-made equipment. Hydraulicly swaged into beautiful dies - a very nice-looking slug is produced, but... the alloy used is probably what comes to hand, rather than scientifically determined: should I be cautious? The plain parts of the slugs measure .314 (which I understand is pretty standard. The skirt does not look particularly thin (but what is thin?).

What also concerns me is that the lubrication-retaining milling has been applied to the .314 diameter, thus pushing as much lead outwards as inwards. Measured over the milled surface, the diameter is about .319. Now, if the milling is full of incompressible lubricant, what happens to the proud milling when it is squeezed into the barrel. I would have thought that these slugs may be too tight for the Hammerli barrel. What do you think?

Being, of necessity, a nation of DIY 'experts', a new set of swaging dies will probably be made if there seems a good reason.

Spencer, I'd hate to ask you to libel an ammunition manufacturer... Do you just happen to know of any manufacturer of .32 projectiles with thin skirts?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Shooting Kiwi wrote:Spencer, I'd hate to ask you to libel an ammunition manufacturer... Do you just happen to know of any manufacturer of .32 projectiles with thin skirts?
None in current AUS production.
I notice that at least one gunshop has a remaindered stock of HBWC in .32 that has been on the shelf for years (nobody will touch this old production).

Spencer
Mike Taylor

Old stock .32HBWC

Post by Mike Taylor »

Any thought of loading them in reverse, ie as Hollow Point WC?
That way there wouldn't be a problem of skirt separation. Being a swaged bullet, it would likely be soft enough to obturate to fill the grooves upon firing.
LeeLoader

H&N or the Lee TL85-314-WC mold

Post by LeeLoader »

I have this gun [P240], and it is a fine gun, but a bit heavy.

I regularly shoot reloads with either:
- Haendler & Natermann .314 90 or 98 grain WC bullet. I think they can also be found in .313, but there is no need, as I have never experienced any problems.
or
- cast bullets from the LeeTL315-85-WC mold. This is probably discontinued, but I have it as a 6-cavity mold and like it a lot. This is not a hollow-base design, and cast bullets are much harder than swaged ones. Together with Lee's lube this means very little leading. Can be recommended.

My preferred load is 1.5 grains for Vihtavuori N310 powder. No less, or accuracy may suffer, and under no circumstance more than 1.8 grains.
j-team

Re: .32 wadcutter projectiles & Hammerli P240

Post by j-team »

Shooting Kiwi wrote:Hi Folks,

I've just taken delivery of a .32 Hammerli P240. .
Did you get that from the recent Ted Rogers auction?

I considered putting a postal bid on it but changed my mind.

Anyway, buy Lapua projectiles from Belmont Ammunition in Wanganui. They are expensive but will not shed the skirts even if you decide to load it quite hot (which you won't need to).

what part of NZL are you in?
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

It's proving difficult to find .32 projectiles in this little country, and now it seems that we will get no more primers from US until the year end (take note, NZ shooters!). What's going on?

H&N info. on the 'net confirms that their wadcutter is available in .312, .313 &..314 dias. Don't suppose there are any, of any size, here, though! The search continues...
Matt

Post by Matt »

We will be offering cast .32-WCBB's in many sized diameters very soon. Stay tuned for further announcements!

Matt Dardas
Dardas Cast Bullets
www.dardascastbullets.webs.com
Matt

Post by Matt »

We would like to let everyone know that we will be producing the .32 wadcutter bevel base bullet in approximately 1 month. The order was placed today for the custom moulds and sizer dies (0.312", 0.313 and 0.314). You'll be able to specify your preferred sized diameter when ordering. And, if you prefer, you will be able to order 100 packs of each diameter to try prior to ordering large quantities. Please keep in mind that these bullets will be 100% inspected prior to packaging. We want to insure that you are receiving the ultimate cast bullet for match competition.

We'll be posting when updates become available.

Matt Dardas
Dardas Cast Bullets
cumbo

32 p240

Post by cumbo »

Hi, my 2 cents slug the barrel and see what size projectile you need. Over here in Aus you may be able to purchase Taipan 312 or 314 98 grain HBWC swaged projectiles these are quite nice and shoot well. The 38 p240 barrels are definitely tight and this can help aid in skirt seperation, some guys here were resizing their 38 projectiles prior to loading. If you can get your hands on the taipan projectiles give them a go you won't be dissapointed.
cheers Nick