dry fire training questions

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

tonyc

dry fire training questions

Post by tonyc »

Whats the best ways to train dry firing? I have a ruger mark III Target model but didn't think its good to dry fire that. So I havn't. Should I get a DA .22 revolver? Are there dry fire caps for my Ruger?

I also read the essay on the basics by CX10. I will go back to that frequently and plan on concentrating on .22 only for a while before I get a .45

I plan on using the adjustable sights for a while also before getting an UltraDot.

What is the first gunsmith upgrade I should get on my pistol? Trigger, sear, etc...?

Great website/forum!!

Thanks,
Tony
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

You can cut a piece of old credit card to protect the chamber when dry firing.

As far as mods to the gun, trigger parts should be all that's needed to make the gun ready to shoot Master scores. I don'tknow which brand of hammer trigger and sear are best though.

Keep an eye on the Olympic section of this board for really good pistol shooting tips.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Or use a cut piece of refrigerator magnet card. Snap caps are available too.

Unless you get a total trigger job by a real pistolsmith, the Volquartsen sear is all you need for a reasonable do it yourself job.

The Volquartsen rear target sight is a great upgrade as well.

I like their extended bolt hold open.

Grip of choice, but I like their checkered wood grips with frame stipples or at least grip tape like the 3M stair tread tape.
bentrod

Post by bentrod »

Dogchaser wrote:You can cut a piece of old credit card to protect the chamber when dry firing.
How is this done?
X-Mark

Dry-firing a .22lr

Post by X-Mark »

You can get snap caps, but they don't last long.
rimfiresports.com sells dummy rounds.
You can use fired cases.
I have also made dummies from FTF shells. Drill a small hole (drill press and vice) in the bottom, empty out powder. (I don't like to recommend this method).
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

bentrod wrote:
Dogchaser wrote:You can cut a piece of old credit card to protect the chamber when dry firing.
How is this done?
Cut the card in a shape to fit the breach face of the barrel with a relief where the extractor is located. On my 41's I use a piece of tape and secure it to the slide.