Anyone out there shooting a revolver competitively in .22 ?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

MSC

Anyone out there shooting a revolver competitively in .22 ?

Post by MSC »

I'm thinking at the local level, say 275/300 or better? Not talking Camp Perry scores. I've heard of folks dabbling in a match or two, or using a revolver for fun. But wonder if anyone actually goes at it full-bore, i.e. training/practicing consistently.

Just a curiosity question on a quiet monday (oh yeah, tues) night...
6string

Post by 6string »

Going at it full bore? Not these days. But, I did have an old Colt Officer's Target made in the late '30's which was my personal favorite a few years back, shooting on the club level. (In fact, my club was at the time a "revolver" club.) It was built on the large Python frame with a flat top and heavy barrel. The rear sight was windage adjustable and the front sight was elevation adjustable. The action was incredibly smooth and the accuracy was fantastic. My scores were expert level. The interesting thing about timed and rapid fire was that it wasn't that tough. Sure, you had to cock the hammer each shot but the balance would just hang there. The recoil was obviously light, but without a reciprocating slide of a semiauto recovery was so predictable.
However, my scores were eventually exceeded by concentrated training with my SW 41.
Revolver is definitely competitive as far as the criteria you described. If you're interested, find an old one, Smith or Colt, from the '30s to the late '50s when they were being built to win matches. Pay for a mint or near mint one that hasn't been damaged by double action speed work or overly cleaned. You'll be surprised.
ciscovt

.22 Revolver

Post by ciscovt »

I don't go whole hog with the .22 revolver but I have a S&W K22 from 1952 that I have carried and used as my backup .22. Most recently, as I have been working more with the .38 revolver for DR competition I have been carrying the K22 as my sole backup .22. If I do my part correctly, it can be very competitive. I shoot it and the .38 single action only. Being competitive depends on how much time and training you put in iron sights and/or the revolver, and then there is trigger pull, trigger pull, trigger pull!