.22 Ammo Lube

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Misny

.22 Ammo Lube

Post by Misny »

I've used SK Jagd with good success in the accuracy department. It functions very well in my H-208s. Aguila Target and Match ammo is accurate, but is iffy about functioning. I was wondering if the lube on the SK Jagd makes the difference in reliability. The Aguila is comparitively dry compared to the SK Jagd. I was thinking of lightly lubing some Aguila Target and seeing if it made a difference. I thought that I might put some lube in an old towel and roll the Aguila around in it. Anyone have any suggestions as what lube to use? Anybody have any inside info. what SK or Eley use to lube their ammo? How do you all feel about this? Should I just leave the Aguila ammo as is?
toznerd

Post by toznerd »

Misney,

Try some of the rimfire forums. There are some interesting lube formulas for .22 rimfire floating around out there. Most include tallow (rendered beef fat- literally, these guys tell you how to reduce the fat and collect the harder, waxy tallow), beeswax, and a host of other ingredients (both petroleum and non-petroleum based). Eley uses a blend of tallow and beeswax on its upper end loads, and paraffin-based lube on the lower end. I'm sure other makers use similar lubes. Of course, consistent application might influence results more than the lubes' formula. Plus, you have to be careful dealing with loaded ammo and lubes that might require a heat source, as low temperature as it might be to apply. Let us know if you come up with anything interesting and, by all means, post results, whether they are inconsequential, or of great consequence to function or accuracy.

good luck and be careful,

toznerd
Misny

Post by Misny »

toznerd,

I appreciate your response. I wouldn't have guessed that tallow and beeswax were used to lube Eley ammo. I don't think I'm prepared to go to the extent of rendering beef tallow and gathering beeswax to concoct my own formula. I'm leaning towards a spray-on case lube. I had here-to-fore thought that it might be too thick.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Well, I thought I'd just go ahead and try some spray lube that I had on hand. I lightly sprayed on Corrosion X. It is a very light oil. I let the ammo drain onto a towel with bullet pointed down. So far, I've shot 150 rounds of the Aguila Target without a hiccup.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Watching a RF match on ISSF TV, I noticed one of the finalists put some liquid from a bottle onto a small pad/towel on his bench. Loading his magazine, he wiped the bullet on the towel, then inserted the cartridge into the mag. I assume he was lubricating the heads with some concoction. Also makes sense to lube the bullet just prior to shooting it.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Field Target shooters use various lubes for pellets -- Krytech is very popular but Slick50 OneLube, Sailkote, and others are also used a lot. The main advantage is keeping the bore cleaner with some evidence of sleightly better accuracy with the Krytech.

Best,

Joe
Misny

Post by Misny »

I just thought I'd post another follow-up. I've shot over 500 rounds so far of the spray-lubed Aguila without a malfunction. Maybe this will help someone else who's sitting on a case of Aguila, who heretofore couldn't get their semi-auto to function with it.
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

This is an interesting thread for me because I have noticed a great difference in lead fouling between different types of ammo shot through my Morini free pistol. SK and Aguila show numerous flecks of lead when I clean the bore with a pull through patch, while Ely Tennex has virtually no lead flecks at all. The lube on the Tennex is very soft, like butter. I don't know if accuracy falls off faster with one or the other, but I really like that Tennex stuff. Now, If I could win the lottery so I could afford to buy Tennex! In retrospect, the other two shoot pretty well!!!