Marvel 1911 2lb trigger. Gunsmith wanted

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

1413shooter

Marvel 1911 2lb trigger. Gunsmith wanted

Post by 1413shooter »

Anyone know of a good bullseye gunsmith that can get a 1911 trigger down to around 2lbs? I've read the article in brownells but I'm not going
to try to do it myself. Thanks

Post by Guest »

I suspect that most of the name gunsmiths could do this, if they're willing. But these guys tend to have long waiting lists.

Where are you located? - someone may know of a competent smith locally.

BTW I think that a lot of people are going to try to talk you out of such a light trigger.
1413shooter

Post by 1413shooter »

I guess I should have stated that I'm located in N. Calif. Mostly People are hunters as opposed to shooters in the area that I live so my crowd doesn't know many "big name gunsmiths." Once you learn to squeeze off a 2 oz jewell its hard to try to duplicate it on something set at 4 lbs even if is a Les Baer. Works great with two hands and a 45 acp but it's not the best one handed in .22. I do have a Morini, Fas, and a Baikal but actually the marvel is the most reliable and accurate of the bunch. Plus I would like to beat my friends shooting there Hammerli's and 41's with a plane old 1911. I don't have to tell them it has a 2lb trigger.
Fred Mannis

Re: Marvel 1911 2lb trigger. Gunsmith wanted

Post by Fred Mannis »

1413shooter wrote:Anyone know of a good bullseye gunsmith that can get a 1911 trigger down to around 2lbs? I've read the article in brownells but I'm not going
to try to do it myself. Thanks
Suggest you post your question on the Bullseye-L list. Plenty of discussion about Marvel conversions there, so I'm sure there will be gunsmith suggestions.
Ernie Rodriguez

Trigger Pull

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

I suppose a 2lb trigger pull is obtainable and perhaps might be safe with a 22 conversion BUT a 2lb trigger with a 45 (even target loads) might be taking an unnecessary safety risk.

Post by Guest »

"might be taking an unnecessary safety risk."

Um, why is that?
GOVTMODEL

Re: Trigger Pull

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Ernie Rodriguez wrote:I suppose a 2lb trigger pull is obtainable and perhaps might be safe with a 22 conversion BUT a 2lb trigger with a 45 (even target loads) might be taking an unnecessary safety risk.
In addition, it's not allowed under Rule 3 of the NRA Conventional Pistol Rules.
1413shooter

Post by 1413shooter »

If anyone cares, I'm looking at a dedicated frame for the Marvel. I'm not interested in a 2lb trigger for a 45 acp.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

take a look at the drop-in kits offered by Cylinder & Slide - https://shop.cylinder-slide.com/ccp51/c ... =HOME:6:43

They offer a 3lb kit w/ lightened components. You could probably take this to 2lbs yourself by tweaking the sear springs. I've used the 3.5lb kits on some of my pistols, and have been pleased w/ the results.

I'm not sure that you'll find a smith willing to set-up a 2lb trigger on a 1911 - even if it was intended as a dedicated 22. The issue here is that the combination of factors necessary to achieve a very light trigger pull can also create a condition by which the pistol goes full auto - the hammer isn't caught after each shot and so the action continues for fire and cycle repeatedly.

If you're honestly intending to use this as a dedicated 22, the C&S kit may be the best option. But if you want to also shoot 45, you should do some more research.
jackh

Post by jackh »

A quality trigger of 2-2.5 pounds can be made by most 1911 smiths who know bullseye shooting. I have a dedicated Les Baer lower for a Marvel with such a trigger. The pistol mirrors my same kind wadgun which has 3.5# trigger. I used to shoot the Marvel placed on the 3.5# lower and Service pistol lower. All these Baer pistols were made by Toyota.
1413shooter

Post by 1413shooter »

Made by Toyota? Didn't know they were parners with Les.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

I suspect that he means Roddy Toyota - he's a well known Bullseye gunsmith.
1413shooter

Post by 1413shooter »

Well that would make more sense. BTW thanks for the C&S link. They do good work.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I just bought a Foster's industry Caspian for a dedicated Marvel lower. I plan on a 2.5 pound trigger pull. I will probably let my smith get the trigger parts, and I suspect he will just buy Colt or Ed Brown stock parts and do his own work on them. He's pretty patient and says he usually just tweeks a gun until it shoots well. Another smith, that I also shoot with, uses the Cylinder and Slide trigger pull kits.

Later

Mike
Wichita KS
arjuna70

Post by arjuna70 »

Here is my Gunsmith, he does terrific bullseye work:

http://www.santurriltd.com/

Greg Derr is a high master shooter I believe and he also does terrific work:

http://derrprecision.com/