Ramped Front Sight

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Freepistol

Ramped Front Sight

Post by Freepistol »

Are there any good reasons to get a ramped front sight on a .45?
Thanks!
Ben

Post by Guest »

As you know, most front sights on .45 target pistols have an undercut "partridge style" design so they will not reflect light back to the shooter and degrade sight alignment.

Most ramp style front sights are so because they draw from a holster easier; the ramp won't get caught on anything. Exacting sight alignment is secondary in these disciplines.

Having said that, Les Baer uses a (rather tall) ramped and serrated front sight on his Premier II .45 and it offers an excellent platform for precision shooting when combined with the Bo Mar style rear sight. Particularly when shooting outdoors and uncovered, the front serrations offer something to focus on, and really keep the eye glued on the front sight.

I would recommend the Les Baer set up without qualification.
6string

Post by 6string »

One of my 45s is a Kimber Gold Match that was worked on by Dave Salyer. He set it up with a red dot, but when I returned to iron sights, I took the original ramp front sight and modified it myself to Patridge configuration. I just put a slight undercut with a dremel cutoff wheel and then filed and stoned it until it was perfectly clean and straight. Finished off with a bit of cold blue touch up. It was well worth the effort to eliminate any glare or variation of sight picture.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:As you know, most front sights on .45 target pistols have an undercut "partridge style" design so they will not reflect light back to the shooter and degrade sight alignment.

Most ramp style front sights are so because they draw from a holster easier; the ramp won't get caught on anything. Exacting sight alignment is secondary in these disciplines.

Having said that, Les Baer uses a (rather tall) ramped and serrated front sight on his Premier II .45 and it offers an excellent platform for precision shooting when combined with the Bo Mar style rear sight. Particularly when shooting outdoors and uncovered, the front serrations offer something to focus on, and really keep the eye glued on the front sight.

I would recommend the Les Baer set up without qualification.
or even a PATRIDGE style?