.357 vs .38 revolver

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

EdM

Post by EdM »

Shooting Kiwi:

I'm in much the same situation as you; looking for a Model 14/K38 for Distinguished Revolver competition but have the opportunity to get a Model 19 (it has the nickle finish and I'd prefer blued but don't suppose that really matters).

Did you have the chance to handle a 14 before acquiring your 19? Was there much difference is size/weight? I imagine the cylinder on the 19 would be a little larger to accomodate the .357 but otherwise not sure of any differences.

Thank you.

Ned
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Ned,

I think you're right: essentially same gun, except for different sized holes. Same frame, trigger, etc. My knowledge of the S&W family is patchy - no doubt others will correct this, if there are significant differences.

Yes, have now handled both, and wouldn't have been able to tell the difference with my eyes closed.

Significant differences within the models, however, for instance different ejector shroud lengths, therefore would be expected to produce different feel.

Question for the experts... Do all K-frame Smiths have blade (as opposed to coil) mainsprings and 'square' (rather than 'round') butts?

Post by Guest »

Kiwi:

Early production K-frames were available in both the round and square butt configuration (not necessarily all models or all barrel lengths, however - for example, the M19 round butt was available only with the 2-1/2 inch barrel). Around 1995-96, the square butt was eliminated, presumably to reduce production costs, and presumably because grips are readily available to "convert" round butt to square butt, but not the other way around.

There are also S&Ws of all types on the market that were shipped as square butt but which were subsequently altered to round butt - I have a M586 (which is of course an L frame, but this is true for K frames as well) that is virtually indistinguishable from a factory round butt, but based on the serial number it must have been shipped from the factory as a square butt.

To the best of my knowledge, all K frames use a leaf (blade, or flat) mainspring.
MG2inAus

Post by MG2inAus »

Thanks for the tip Spencer, I have a few boxes of dodgy Eley "browns". I'll try the solvent trick, if they work great, if not I'll use them for the next RO course!