2700 ?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

rifal

2700 ?

Post by rifal »

Set me straight.In a 2700 match with 50 yd. slowfire and 25 yd. timed and rapid I assume you'll have to make multiple sight changes if your using a 1911 for the centerfire and the .45 portion of the matches. If so what are the normal sight corrections? Sights would be open with a six o'clock hold.
Last edited by rifal on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Your supplied infomation is insufficient to lend much help. It all depends on what sighting system (open, dot, crosshair, magnification, etc.) and what hold you use (center, six o'clock, sub-six, super-six, etc. The best recommendation I can give you is to check it out in your training/practice, and make two marks on your setting screws to correspond to the two distances. This will get you in the neighborhood. Then you can fine tune, if needed, for a particular match.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
US Air Force Shooting Teams
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
RJP

45 sight adjustments

Post by RJP »

In my experience, using a Bomar rib and iron sights on a 1911, I needed five clicks up when shooting "center of mass" to go from 25 yards to 50 yards. Now I shoot sub-six and I dont change the sights at all.
6string

Post by 6string »

The load used will be an important factor. Variables such as bullet weight, velocity, and even powder type affect trajectory. Slower velocities and/or heavier bullets generally require more adjustment.
Don't forget air temperature (colder=slower velocities), wind, sunlight. However, trying to establish a set zero, one which remains absolute, is not realistic given human influence.
The range of motion in your hold may be greater than the effect of these ballistic factors. Or maybe your hold is very tight...
Factors may cause you to shoot differently in a match vs. practice. Maybe your hand is sweatier in a match and the gun shifts in your grip; the point of impact may shift and will be more apparent at the 50 yd. line. Maybe recoil obscures a problem with your follow through which is more apparent or exaggerated in a match. Your point of impact (not to mention group size) will be different.
The bottom line is to not adhere too strictly to what your zero for a particular yardage is "supposed" to be. The screwdriver is your friend. Keep it on the bench right next to you. If you are shooting a good group but it's at 7 o'clock in the 6 ring, it doesn't matter if you think you pistol is sighted in. It's not, at least right now. Observe a few shots in your first string of 50 yd. slow fire. Adjust sights to center your group. Keep shooting. Don't jump to the scope each shot. Adjust as needed to move the group.
When shifting to the 25 yd line you can adjust elevation for any known effect of your load. After that first string of timed fire you may need to re-adjust.
Happy Shootin'