UltraDot L/T

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Gort

UltraDot L/T

Post by Gort »

I am thinking of putting a red dot on one of my sport pistols, probably a MG2. I don't want to ruin the handling (balance) and was looking at the UltraDot L/T because it is so light. Anyone have experience with one?
Thank you, Gort
Attachments
UD100LTB-1.jpg
UD100LTB-1.jpg (12.79 KiB) Viewed 15765 times
AlexLand

Post by AlexLand »

Check this new offering from Aimpoint

http://www.brenzovich.com/aimpoint.htm

I plan on installing one right where the rear sights are on IZH-35M. It should look somewhat similar to the picture below where it is installed on FWB93, after all they are similar guns.

[/img]
Attachments
FWB_AW93.jpeg
FWB_AW93.jpeg (4.11 KiB) Viewed 15735 times

Post by Guest »

I have 2 and like them a lot. There are several guns on the line with them as well.

Post by Guest »

The UltraDot LT is a royal pain in the butt to adjust. There are no clicks like on a regular UltraDot. The little tiny allen wrenches needed to adjust POI are not user friendly by any means. Hope you have a big supply of patience if you do get one.

Post by Guest »

Very true, but once you have zeroed, lock it down and leave it. A real plus is you don't have to take it off to change batteries like some of the others. Once you get used to adjusting the e. or w. it isn't too bad

Post by Guest »

I have NEVER had ANY form of optical sight that did not need to be "tweaked" now and then. Whether due to POI change due to ammo or hold or whatever other forces rule, they need to be adjusted now and then. I have a close friend who has 4 Docter sights. If he ever has to "tweak" one it is like performing major surgery right there on the range. Another note is that "halo" type sights are not user friendly out in the sun, if in fact you shoot outdoors.So you guys can have all you little special wrenches and adjusting wheels, I would much rather use a good old (tube style) Ultradot with click adjustments any day in the week.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

I second "Guest" in opposition to "Guest".

The panoramic sights are just not the right choice for bullseye until they get click adjustments. Maybe there simply isn't room in the sight or maybe it is just not important to their primary customers. Bullseye shooters need to adjust their sights, even in rimfire.

I started bullseye with an Optima sight (similar to the Docter or UD L/T). Adjustment was an exercise in frustration. The dial was way too sensitive and had a lot of backlash which combined to make it not repeatable. It was common for me to make 10-20 adjustments just to get sighted. If the sights were off in a match I would use Kentucky Windage, which is not the best choice for precision shooting. I changed to a regular UD and my life became a whole lot simpler, although my pistol got heavier.

I looked at the tiny Aimpoint at the Brenzovich booth at Camp Perry last year. It is really cool and probably weighs about the same as the L/T. Of course you pay for it.

Best regards,
Steve Turner
Misny

Post by Misny »

I got a chance to shoot the UD L/T when they first were introduced. Getting it sighted in was a real chore! I think it took over 50 rounds to get it centered. If you remove it for cleaning, the whole pain starts over again. It was very difficult to make minor sight adjustments because it doesn't have positive click adjustments. The battery was supposed to turn off when the cover was in place, but the one I tested stayed on all the time and the battery went dead in one day. This happened twice before I realized it was not me doing something wrong. I had to remove the battery between range sessions. The scope didn't fit well on my Weaver style base. All-in-all it is not a useful piece of equipment IMHO. If you want an Ultra Dot, stick with the tube scopes. They know how to make them.
AlexLand

Post by AlexLand »

I purchased Walther Nano Point Red Dot because Larry stopped selling UD L/T and would not tell me why. Then, I read on the Internet that the lenses kept falling off UD L/T, so I decided to go with a new product - Walther Nano Point. It did not even got on my pistol - the reddot did not have a manual brightness adjustment and it was so bright I could not even see the bullseye never mind to aim. When I covered light sensor (which controls the reddot brightness) with a piece of tape it got a little better. Yes it was not as bright but not much use otherwise, unless, of course, one is hunting squirrels. So I shipped it back and splurged $430, shipped, on Aimpoint Micro R-1 at http://www.binoculars.com/rifle-scopes/ ... r16moa.cfm. It is a really great product. The red dot is as small as 2 MOA dot on UD MatchDot, there are 14 levels of dot brightness control, cover on the elevation and windage knobs serves as a screwdriver. Sweet. The only complain is that it did not lock properly on my weaver scope rail - oversized scope. Do not overtighten it!!! it is aluminum!!! and the screw is steel. So, I put a couple of shims between the scope and the rail and fixed it (shouldn't be doing it for that much money). It is also very light compared to my UD MatchDot that I have on the other gun. Tubes are the way to go....[/img]
Attachments
Walther Nano Point
Walther Nano Point
Aimpoint Micro R-1
Aimpoint Micro R-1
Aimpoint.jpg (8.42 KiB) Viewed 14466 times