UltraDot ?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

alb

Re: Blood Lead Level

Post by alb »

Basically, everything that Ed said.

If you shoot regularly, then you need to get your blood lead level checked regularly. I had mine checked last November, since I had been shooting the previous winter at a range that has a reputation for poor ventilation. It measured 56 ug/dL. I had it checked again at the beginning of February -- it was down to 49 ug/dL. My doctor tells me that it could take several years to bring it back down, since the lead gets into the bone marrow, and red blood cells only get replaced at every 120 days.

Chelation therapy isn't recommended these days unless your BLL is over 80 ug/dL, since all of that lead being removed from the bloodstream at one time has a harmful effect on your kidneys. If you BLL is less than 80, simple avoidance is best.

Also, when primers burn, they produce lead oxide -- responible for that sweet taste in the back of your throat (lead itself is odorless and tasteless). Lead oxide is more of a problem than lead dust, since you can't avoid it with a filter mask. You need a range with adequate ventilation.

Regards,

Al B.