Newbie question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

TomAmlie

Newbie question

Post by TomAmlie »

Well, between AP, FP, standard pistol, and rifle (smallbore and highpower) I obviously don't spend enough time shooting (contrary to what my wife may think). I've toyed with the idea of picking up a .45 so I can shoot a 2700 match.

A local auction house has the following coming up soon:
"Colt-Clark “70 Series Government Model” ser.# 70G29671. A custom .45 ACP semi-auto. pistol by “Clark” of Shreveport, LA. This is their “Long Slide” with a 5¾” Kart N.M. barrel, a Bo-Mar adjustable rear sight, undercut front sight, sharply stippled front grip strap, straight main spring housing, and an altered hammer spur. Factory grip and thumb safeties. Excellent bore and crisp action but, occasionally, the hammer will follow the slide to half cock. Clean gun shows 98% blue. Excellent checkered walnut grips with slight swells. This will be a superb shooter! Frame made in 1972."

Now, this may be either (a) a stupid question, or (b) an unanswerable question, but would this be a good starting point? What's a reasonable valuation for such a pistol?

Thanks,
Tom A.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Hi Tom.
Can't answer your question on market value, but this would be an excellent wad gun for BE shooting. One reason I say this is that although it is obviously in need of a trigger job, I believe Clark offers refurbishment services for his guns. Of course you should figure in the cost of the refurb in calculating your bid. Suggest you call Clark to get a cost estimate and maybe an idea of market value. I notice Larry's is selling a similar Judd customized gun for $1700

Fred
2650 Plus

Clark 45

Post by 2650 Plus »

It sounds as though the trigger may have minimum engagement but maybe not. Hold the trigger back and drop the slide freely. This replicates the condition that exists when actually firing the pistol. If the hammer followes the slide the pistol will be prone to doubling or full automatic firing. If the hammer stays back the pistol may be perfectly safe to fire. Never the less, I would send the pistol in to Jim Clark to correct the problem. Good Shooting Bill Horton