Ultradot reddot sights?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

pepperbelly

Ultradot reddot sights?

Post by pepperbelly »

I am new here but not to shoting and other shooting boards.
I shoot falling plate and bullseye matches with a SA 1911 .45acp and a Ruger MkII .22 pistol. I have a C-More reddot on my .45 and have been using a Leupold/Gilmore reddot on my .22.
I recently installed a VQ LLV comped upper on my MkII.
After reading an article on the Encyclopedia of Bullseye website about some reddot sights having a parallax problem I was thinking I might need to go with another reddot. My Leupold/Gilmore wasn't mentioned, but the Tasco Pro-Point was as having a parallax error. Does anyone know how the Leupold/Gilmore sights compare?
I am thinking about buying an Ultradot Matchdot. Is this about the best available?
I have managed to shoot an 824 a couple of times last year with my MkII. That was before the VQ upper. With my stock barrel I couldn't feed any decent match ammo. The Eley Sport and the RWS Rifle Target would jam on the bottom of the feed ramp. The new upper does feed this ammo.

The reason I am looking is that sometimes I have a few flyers that I can't explain. The shot feels good, the trigger breaks cleanly and the dot never leaves the black but I will have a round out in the 7-ring. The ammo may help solve this but the parallax diagram on the website also looks like that could be the problem.

Any ideas?

Jim
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Jim,
I had the same thoughts after reading the Encyclopedia article on parallax in red dot sights. I measured the parallax effects for my set up by shooting from a rest and changing the position of the red dot in the field of view, but keeping the dot centered on the bull. Five shots at 12 o'clock, 5 shots at 3 o'clock, etc. Found that group would move down 2 1/2" (to the edge of the black) with the dot at 12 o'clock, but barely moved with the dot at 6 o'clock. I have an inexpensive Addco holographic sight on my Pardini SPE. I do my best to keep the dot centered in the field of view and especially do not let it drift upwards. I find the discipline in keeping the dot centered very helpful and can score in the 870's with this sight (on a good day).

Fred