Lead removing

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Lead removing

Post by Guest »

I used different chemicals trying to remove the leading of a barrel with no success whatsoever. Then, I've been told to use a copper pad on top of a worm out brash brush. Use it like any cleaning rod and the leading would be gone.

Unfortunately, it seems like all kitchen pads I come across are either stainless steel or nickel (a magnet does not attract them).

So I'd like to know whether I can use a nickel pad instead of a copper/brass one to mechanically remove the leading.

Thanks in advance! :)
mister G

Post by mister G »

What you're looking for is a Chore Boy copper scruby pad. Most supermarkets carry them.

Of course, you could always buy the Lewis Lead Remover from Brownell's, as long as you're talking about .32, .38/.357, .44 or .45 calibers.

Post by Guest »

I'm really looking out for a Chore Boy but no supermarket is carrying them in my area. All pads I found so far are, either, stainless steel or nickel.

The blurbs on the nickel one say they're specifically designed not to scratch your pots so I guess it'd be just fine. But as it seems that nobody has ever tried them before I don't wanna be the first one.

Nonetheless, I'll keep looking for a copper (or bronze?) pad.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

You sure you wouldn't just want to use a standard bore brush or a BoreSnake? Seems like an extreme solution you are looking at.

Best,

Joe
2650 Plus

Removing lead

Post by 2650 Plus »

Reference the Lewis remover, I seem to recall that this remover is designed to remove lead from revolver forcing cones and not barrels so it probably won't work on your barrel but Brownells does carry a solvent that is supposed to do the job. It works for me on 22 rifle barrels. Good Shooting Bill Horton
IPshooter

Re: Removing lead

Post by IPshooter »

2650 Plus wrote:Reference the Lewis remover, I seem to recall that this remover is designed to remove lead from revolver forcing cones and not barrels so it probably won't work on your barrel but Brownells does carry a solvent that is supposed to do the job. It works for me on 22 rifle barrels. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Bill,

Do you know the name of the solvent? Being a .32 shooter, it just seems like lead build up is a problem that you can't avoid. And, I'd like to get away from the Hoppes-and-a-brush thing.

Thanks,

Stan
Gort

Post by Gort »

The Lewis lead remover has an aluminum fitting for forcing cones and a rubber mandrel that is adjustable for barrel tension via impingment of the mandrel. Barrels are their forte. They have been around much move than the 35 years that I have been using them, and are effective.
Gort
mososodbob

Post by mososodbob »

IPshooter wrote:
2650 Plus wrote:Reference the Lewis remover, I seem to recall that this remover is designed to remove lead from revolver forcing cones and not barrels so it probably won't work on your barrel but Brownells does carry a solvent that is supposed to do the job. It works for me on 22 rifle barrels. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Bill,

Do you know the name of the solvent? Being a .32 shooter, it just seems like lead build up is a problem that you can't avoid. And, I'd like to get away from the Hoppes-and-a-brush thing.

Thanks,

Stan
I've been using the Bore Tech Inc's "Rim Fire Blend" for the past two years and been very satisfied with the results in cleaning the "crud" from of my .45 wad gun firing lead loads. I use it on my .22 as well...but it does not need the frequency of cleaning as my .45 wad gun. I brought the 16oz bottle and still have over 3/4 left.

Also, I've found JB Bore paste very effective for "routine" cleaning lead out of the barrel...without the hassle associated with the Lewis system...had a Lewis as a back up for nearly 35 years...used it only when bore brush and JB won't get it out.

And by the way...only reason I went with the Bore Tech product is because it is not a "HAZMAT" item and Brownell can ship it by air to me in Hawaii. Other wise, I would have ordered Hoppe's #9.

Bob
mister G

Post by mister G »

Brownell's bought the Lewis Lead Remover outfit a few years ago, but they had no problem replacing for no cost a piece I broke last month.

+1 on previous posts ... the LLR does bores and forcing cones easily and efficiently.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

IPshooter wrote:
Bill,

Thanks,

Stan
Hi Stan

I shoot a 1911 with Lead Semi-wadcutters and I have trouble with leading in the chamber, but not the barrel really. It doesn't seem to hurt my accuracy if I clean once every 1000 rounds or so.

Mike
Wichita KS
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Mike,

When I used to shoot a 1911 with cast semi-wads, I never had any sort of leading problem. The problems I've seen are with a Pardini HP and HPE where they both lead up badly just in front of the chamber. It then doesn't take long for the tipping to turn into keyholing.

Stan