Red dot or Reflex (holo) sights in NRA 45?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Brian James

Red dot or Reflex (holo) sights in NRA 45?

Post by Brian James »

I am new to the world to NRA shooting; I own a 45 with a weaver rail, and now I'm confronted with which aiming solution should I choose.

I know there are lots of great red dots, Zeiss, Nikon, Doctor, Ultra dot, etc..

I'm curious to know, what is the best value for money? I shoot NRA for fun, but ISSF events quite seriously. So I wantd something I can be competitive with, without breaking the bank more than I need too.

Which leads me to ask are people using holographic sights or Reflex sights with great sucess in the 45 course of fire? Lord knows the IPSC shooters love them.

Brian
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

IPSC isn't solely about accuracy, and the top score zones are pretty big compartatively speaking. IPSC is more about speed and quick target acquisition.

I have a Ultradot Matchdot that I've played with, it nice and not too expensive (less than $200).
fred.mannis

Post by fred.mannis »

I found the biggest issue to be the amount of parallax error. The cheaper sights (both tube and open) have a significant amount. See http://www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm for a more detailed discussion.

I favor the reflex type because it is much lighter than a quality tube type like Aimpoint or Ultradot, but my reflex has sufficient parallax error that I am careful to keep the dot centered. The more expensive units like Trijicon Docter may have less parallax, but I have no first hand experience with them.

Post by Guest »

Good luck finding that dot on a Halo out in the sun. If it were me, I would buy nothing but an Ultradot. Just my 2 cents worth,,,,,,,,,or less!
clark2245

Re: Red dot or Reflex (holo) sights in NRA 45?

Post by clark2245 »

The Ultradot sights are the standard for bullseye and most competitors use them. They are little if any more expensive than the other brands and are more highly regarded for durability. I suggest you get it from Larrys Guns ( http://www.larrysguns.com/ ). Larry is a top Bullseye shooter and a repair center for the Ultradots if anything is ever needed, plus he does a lot to support the shooting community. They start at about $130 for the basic 1" tube.

Clark